Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Another Raptor Looses 2nd Gear!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 12:07 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

garyc660R,

My serial number is 15700. Finished in April, 01

I have never had a trans. failure either and that includes the time period from 13--19 years old when a trans should have went out but didn't.
Had one Honda engine timing chain break. One chevy 350 cam bite the dust.

I don't have the tools or the know how to break apart this engine to replace the gears so I will continue to ride the 660r

I am afraid what is going to happen one time I will be riding alone in the thousands of acres and my trans will fail and then my 357 will fail and then my backup 32 will fail and then the circling wild dogs will sense I am helpless and will come in for the kill.

The wild dogs and vultures will pick my bones clean and then Raptor will be used as a pee station a kin to the old fire hydrant in the city.

Finally the Raptor will have come full circle. From a prized procession to something to **** on.

If anyone finds my bones please give them to my wife and then forward this post to YAMAHA.

Chet ,[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] who has one of the remaining original 01 transmissions left

Old 06-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<< Finally the Raptor will have come full circle. From a prized procession to something to **** on >>

Burrahahaha!
I used to be chased all the time by wild dogs......man those dogs are deadly serious......they see lunch. Have'nt seen any lately though.....I say good riddance(sp?). I think I'll make a little sticker similar to the &quot;Intel Inside&quot;.....of course mine will say &quot;Fortin Inside&quot;......or maybe &quot;Fortune Inside&quot;.....LOL LOL!

Old 06-26-2002, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

Yep! Mine locked up while at the dunes last weekend. It surely does suck. I don't know what all I will need to repair mine yet. I don't know whether to do it myself or take it somewhere.

I wrote an email to the President of Yamaha the other day - still waiting for a response. May not ever get one. I have been thinking of giving everyone his email so that he could be flooded with emails about this issue. May or may not help.

Here is the letter copied and pasted:
Dear Noriyuki Egawa,
I hope you can help me. I have a complaint I'd like to register with you about the safety of a quad made by Yamaha. The VIN (vehicle identification number) is JY4AM01361A011550.

I would like to register a complaint to your company about my 2001 Yamaha Raptor 660R's transmission failure.
VIN# JY4AM01361A011550
Bought: Feb 03, 2001
in Clarksville, TN.

I was riding with my family this past Saturday (6/22/02) when my tranny locked up completely and causing me to go over the handle bars. No serious injuries, just bruises.

I have been hearing these nightmare stories for a long time about the '01 tranny failures. Yes I am a member on several forums about atv's and I know that this is a large re-occurring problem. This could have been a deadly accident - thank God it wasn't! This is a serious safety issue and it needs to be addressed.

I always thought that it was younger kids not taking care of their machines or just abusing the daylights out of them...but now I know better. If you've got an early '01 - it's going to fail sooner or later - it's just a matter of time. I am 36 years old and take great care of my machines. I own 2 quads, 2 street bikes, and a pleasure boat. I enjoy motorsports alot.

Changing the gears (not the ratios - but adding more shift dogs) on the 2002's does prove that there is a problem and I don't understand why Yamaha hasn't done something yet. I am now wondering if you haven't seen enough proof to tell this is a serious problem....

I would not have a problem with Yamaha as a provider to me and my friends as long as this issue is resolved in the way that it should be.

Here's what I would like to see you do to provide resolution: I would like for Yamaha to step up and help me with this matter. I need repairs done to my quad. I feel that there should be a re-call on these '01 Raptors. I am not necessarily asking for that, but I am asking for help to repair my quad.

I thank you for your attention to my concerns, and would greatly appreciate a timely response.

Sincerely,
Ernie Mosley
eraptoid@aol.com

CC:
Frank O'Bannon

Old 06-26-2002, 01:48 PM
RIP Dear Friend

eRAPTOID,

Being from Indiana I am glad I didn't vote for Frank O'Bannon.

I doubt if you get much help from him, but I hope you do.

I see you are from INDY my sister and brother-in-law live in Zionsville.

garyc660R,

The wild dogs(packs) in this area are a problem. I think sometimes when someone gets tired of there dog in the big city they just drive out to the boondocks and dump them out and this goes for cats. We have now a lot of ferro cats. I am not to concerned because I pack a hand gun and I am licensed for conceal carry. I wouldn't want to be walking around in some areas of southern Indiana without protection or you could be the next meal ticket or bite victim. Then if that happens it could be the rabies shot procedure.

Chet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2002, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

I still have an original 01 tranny bought in November 2000.

RM

Old 06-26-2002, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

I hate when people post that their trannys just blew. Let me live in ignorant bliss please! I have an 01 I believe in the high 14000 range. It hasnt had any problems YET. I might just order up an 02 gearset to have on hand. Does anyone know which parts are backordered?

Old 06-26-2002, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

welcome to the club

Old 06-26-2002, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Raptor720, how about some free legal advice!!!!!

Old 06-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

GARY, what is your plan? How are you beginning? I don't know what to do....I'm still in awe, that my machine would crap like that!

What road are you taking????

Old 06-27-2002, 02:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I should do a quick fix and find a new address for it. But since I am hooked on the overall package (when running), I hope to fix it. Which route I go solely depends on how much damage the engine has. If all that is necessary is 2nd gear up, then I will install forged gears. If more damage is realized, then I will have to decide on what to do based on price. Definately not gonna beg at Yamahas feet for 01 parts. WHat are your plans? Keep me up to speed on your new project.

Quick Reply: Another Raptor Looses 2nd Gear!