Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee clutch slip?? You guys tell me cause I am lost.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys heres the deal. I have a 96 banshee that I bought from the org. owner (40 yr. old) with less that 25 hours on entire bike. It was bone stock. I have modded it with Toomey T5s, cool head 19cc domes, V force reeds, Vitos timing advance degree key and needles and jets and K&N from him also. But inside it is all stock.

After I did these mods it felt like the clutch was slipping from mid to top. The bike will stand straight up on the road in the first 3 gears but get it in the grass and it slips mid to top up.
Making a high pitch sqeek which sounds like it is coming from the stator side, if that makes any sence.

So I figured the clutch springs were to weak so I replaced them with a set of Vitos heavy duty springs, lever was good and stout then. But the bike did not get any better. Well later I was riding it and it did the old "weld the roller ball to the clutch shaft". Thats what I thought was making the sqeek noise. So I replaced it with the Trinity ceramic ball and machined clutch pusher. Lever is properly adjusted to the Clymers book.

I expected the org. clutch to be wasted but it looked perfect with bascially no wear, no heat marks anywhere on the steels what so ever, but I still replaced all the friction plates with new Yamaha friction plates and steels and beed blasted the steels to give it rough texture and better bite into the friction plates and used a good 10-40 weight oil. But no differance what so ever when changing all of this.

Ok here is where it gets tricky. The bike if you listen real close it is still letting out a high pitch sqeek I mentioned when it feels like it starts to slip but it sounds like it is coming from the stator side of the case not the clutch side which makes no sence to me or anyone else I have talked to.

Do any of you guys have an idea of what is causing this problem with the clutch slip and high pitch noise coming from the stator side? Thanks for all your help in advance.