Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

tips for jetting, exhaust mods on the grizzly, kinda long

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey all.
just completed all the mods on my grizzly, and wanted to tell all bout them. bought the power kit from highlifter for $410.00
kit includes... supertrapp new exhaust system. k&n filter and precharger. jet kit for the carb. fancy spark plug for better burning of fuel.

exhaust... the supertrapp exhaust is pritty streight foward to install. the stock heat sheilds dont fit well on the new system, but is possible with a little trimming, and i beleave IS necassary.
the pipe is not loud at all!!! it is slightly louder than a backyard pipe mod. the exhaust is all stainless steel and great looking!

jetting... to do it easier, you will need to remove the gas tank, and the air box. while there, i recommend adjusting your valves!!!i did mine again, and the 3 intake were tight again, after only 15hours since the last adjustment! remove the carb from the bike, but dont take off the cables. it is easier to roll it over doing that! through the top is your new needle, and is so simple to do! through the bottom is your jet, and it is also simple to do. ( first time i have ever done it, and found it quite easy!)
the 6 philips head screws are a pain in the a$$. i finally gave up and used a pair of vice grips to break them loose. why doesn't yamaha use allen head screws?

k& n filter with precharger. .. as easy as stock, and so needed.

spark plug... does not need adjusting, due to its design, but seems to work fine! i used the grease and seeted the plug cap like it should be. the plug cap has grooves that need to be ligned up and (snapped) into place.

adjustments... supertrapp pipe... 11 plates.
jet kit, 4th groove, 155 main jet.
fuel screw, 2 1/2 turns out.
air box lid, stock!

vredict... i beleave it took my grizzly back to stock or a little faster with the oversized tires.
i can wheely from a stop without any help in low, but it wont go over. it runs the front tires bout 15 foot till they touch down.
still runs smooth, and started real easy. i have to pull slightly to get it up in high. top end seems to be close to normal, but i ran out of room before i could top it out, ( small street, lol)
the power is there again, but not what i was hoping for. i figured for the money, i could get more out of it. i am not saying i am dissapointed, but was just hoping for more.

conclusion... this kit is a must if your running oversized tires and miss the stock power! i beleave that with highlifters clutch kit, it could run with any 4x4 quad out there, and yes, i am talking bout the prarie, lol.
next step is going to be the outlaw clutch kit!!!

my pictures

Old 07-04-2002, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

Mich good to see you paved the way that's about what I'm going to do with mine. I bought a White Bros E series, K&N, and a nice assortment of mikuni jets from 150-170. Too bad the silencer is back ordered, I'd be setting it up over the holiday. I'm wondering if anyone has picked up one of those drop in high compression pistons from HMF. I'd like to do that then chjeck on a dyno to see if it's cracked the 55hp mark. I already make some sport quad riders eyes bulge when I'm coming up on their tails on the commute between staging and their track.

Old 07-05-2002, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

HEY,

I dont believe that you did ANY of the mods that you said you have....

You will just have to come up here and prove it to me....lol

Then, we could go for a ride, since you would be here to PROVE it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jonathan

Old 07-05-2002, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider

Sure thing...(I'm intentionally misinterperetting you Frogman) though if I bring my grizz up there you'll never be able to bannish me back to Missouri.

Old 07-05-2002, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Elrancho, I guess that comment goes for you too...lol

I was directing it to Mich660 since he is always wanting to go riding here....hehe

BUT, if YOU want to come up!!!! bring it on! We will have a BLAST!

Jonathan

Old 07-05-2002, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

ohhhh, that was a direct challange for BOTH OF US to get up there and ride um like we stole them, heehee. well, i went for a ride with the mods today, and ohhhhh, i am as happy as a cheapscate in a 2 dollar ho house!!! lmao!!! i am going to type a little bout my ride, it will be on a differant thread though, so go read it, lol.

my pictures

Old 07-08-2002, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Mich660griz,
wanna see it in UP, too. I am gonna put my stock tires back on my grizz and make you cry...and frogman, too............hehe.
Well,I replaced my Mudrunners with the stocks Sunday and a front wheel was damaged somehow....did not have a problem before..it was off for 6 months and got warp from... a sun exposure.......I have no other explanation.....lol.OK, Iput my Mudrunners back and put these junks on a campfire.I am shoping for new tires now.
Joe

Old 07-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

Joe,

Nice to see your shining face on here! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

What do you think about the new Radial Outlaws? They have about 3" of side tread on them and hear that they ride on hardpack awsome. Just a thought.

I think we need to plan a BIG ride in August. Seems that there are several that are coming up/over this way to ride in that month and would be neat to see the different bikes perform!

Jonathan

Old 07-09-2002, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

frogman.
that sounds like an idea!!!! hell, i am so confused on how to get away right now. the only man that can get off work to come too, is afraid to go off camber, or in deep mud for that matter, lol. i take it he would be complaining alot up there, lmao! no me on the other hand, if it can be done, i'll prove it, lol. the only thing i veer away from is the real deep water. i would hate to drive all the way up there, just to swamp out my moter! can you picture 10 grizzly's, sportsmans, and praries, all on your front porch banging at the door for you to get on your quad, lol. not one of us knowing one another, lol. then the ***** out riding, and all the mods could be descussed over a nice mud hole, say 40 ft long, and 3 ft deep, lmao!!! man, now i got a pudgy, heehee. ride deep, ride long, ride hard, but for gods sake man, ride, lmao!!!

my pictures

Old 07-09-2002, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a plan!

I have SOOOO many mud holes that would just swallow your bike. There was a small one just the other day, only about 3 ft long, that i thought i would just splash through.....WRONG!

The dang thing must have had NO bottom! The front wheels went in, and the rear wheels were pointing straight up! NO JOKE....i had to have MMcGuire grab ahold of the rear rack and keep me from dissappearing! The rear tires were not even on the ground, the front was straight in up to the running boards (from the front). Never in my life would i have thought a lil ole hole could be that deep.

Jonathan