Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Race gas- how to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 03:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The voices inside my head are telling me to install a 13-1 piston in the raptor. How do you choose the right octane rating for race gas? At the grocery store i always pick the product with the prettiest label. I just ask my wife if i could buy a new piston and cam, i think she said yes or leave me the h... alone, close enough. I wish companies like Trinity, Rocky Mountain would show up different on the credit card statements. Something like Foley's, Walmart or Saks Fifth Avenue. I get tired of her saying she never gets to buy anything. I tell her the key is in the raptor, haul a..

Back to the race gas, any suggestions on brand and octane????

Old 07-07-2002, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

VP C12 is what you want. It's good up to 14:1 compression.

C12 is the most common fuel so it is almost always the cheapest of the racing fuels as well. The parts dealers or racers you buy race fuel from just buy a drum or two of race fuels, where is almost everyone buys C12 in bulk giving it a cheaper price. C12 is good up to 14:1

Infact with our climate down here 14 C12 works best with the humidity, kinda cancels it out. You should try just splashing some in from time to time in the summer months You'll see what I mean.

I totally understand about the credit card thing. I have recently opened a PO box to send my bill to for now on. I Always get the same grief about how the ole lady never gets anything. Let me ask you, when the ole lady goes out and buys all this crap she always throws this chit of, it's for us all over me. Seem fermilliar to you.

Old 07-07-2002, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

14mins,

You have a 686 from Trinity, so I'm sure if you called Harry or someone at Trinity, they would be more then helpfull in shedding some light on a fuel to run.

Just some ideas, I have a 727 Rap on the way with a 12:1 comp piston and was told to run VP-MS103. From what I understand, it has a good amount of "lead" in it and is to be a great choice for the 12:1 piston 727 kit.

Not sure if that helps, but thought I would tell ya my thoughts and what I was told by Trinity.

Swy

Old 07-07-2002, 03:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Swytak- I know trinity will provide me with the answers. They are always nice and friendly on the phone. These questions always pop in my mind after business hours. Sounds like you are building up a nice, wicked machine. What cam grind are you going with??

Gaff- Missed meeting you at the party. Wish you could have made it. I know what you mean. My wife forgets about the............................................

Old 07-07-2002, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

14mins, the cam grind # is 737. They only recommend this cam for use with the 3 larger intakes (2mm over size I believe) and high comp piston (12:1).

Obviously, I had them do all the head work, chamber modifications, etc. too. I will also be using a pair of the 35mm FCR's and Trinity's custom intakes.

I can't freakin wait!

Swy

Old 07-07-2002, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Well it was a big bummer for me 14mins. I realy was looking forward to it. Once I was in texas it was pretty much a done deal. Damn weather has been so bad, atleast yall stayed dry untill it was over.

I did make it home and we went racing saterday night, kinda bitter sweet. Thier will be another time. Seems me transferring to the houston office is inevitable so I won't be to far away.

Old 07-07-2002, 07:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

swytak- Custom intake? I need to check it out. Is the part shown on the website? Might be the ticket for the nos i am looking to install.

Old 07-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

First of all, I want to say that I am NO expert on race fuel. The only thing I know about race fuel is what I've been able to dig up on the web.

I simply did a search on the web for any and all articles I could find regarding race fuel. The more I read, the more I decided that I knew very little about race fuel. I still am not settled on any specific fuel, as yet.

It seems that Phillips B42 is a fuel that is commonly put in high compression Raptors/400EX's in this part of the country. In fact, one of the local engine builders uses P66 B42 in all of their 4 strokes, and P66 B32 in all of their two strokes.

Check out Phillips 66 Race Fuel for more information about their fuels. Click here for VP Racing Fuel

I've ran P66 B32, B35 and VP C12 in my Banshee, and all seem to run well. The B32 and C12 probably give me a little octane cushion, but I am not sure it's needed. The B35 (101) works just fine.

I have a friend who has an 11:1 Raptor that he runs B42 in. Runs real good, and smells great (probably not a good idea to be sniffing those exhaust fumes...).

I should also add that by looking only at those fuels that are readily available in your area, you can greatly reduce the number of fuels to select from. Most of the fuels can special ordered, but by selecting a fuel readily available, then it comes in handy when you plan a last minute riding trip.

Regards,

Rog

Old 07-07-2002, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

14mins, Yes, custom intakes for the FCR's. If you look at Trinity's site, you will see that the cost of the carbs went up tremendously, due to the amount of tuning and more then that the intakes. I have not seen them and I don't believe there is a pic of them on the site just yet. If you call Harry, which I'm sure you will (hehe), he will tell you what you can expect.

From my understanding the intakes were designed to help with poor fit of the FCR's on the Rap. They are a bit offset which makes working on them alot easier. If my memory serves me right, I also thought I remebered something about helping with turbulance problems, caused by using no lid and or no box at all, just clamping on filters (I don't remeber for sure, sorry).

All I know is that my carbs will have these intakes.Yipeeeee.

Swy