Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sand tires, myth or truth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ward,

No I didn't. The MDT's from what others have told me are for mostly play riding and are not recommended for drag racing at all. Again though, those tires can be grooved for different specialties, wieght etc. I believe that soemone also explained to me that the MDT's grooved for any type of real pulling power are not puncture resistant. I need something that is puncture resistant as a couple of the places I ride at have burried logs, small rocks etc, so they would not be a good prospective tire for me.

I am getting ready to call Fullerton in a minute and ask them about the Padla Brat pricing and grooving options ans while I'm at it I will ask about the MDT's in more depth, since I've done this much I might as well ask thier oppinions on them.

Swy

Old 07-15-2002, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Swytak, Jims has the 22x11x10 Extreme Haulers for $259 or there abouts mounted on douglass .160's. They are closed on Mondays!! Try back tomorow!!

Buttfungus, He had the straight Roosters, I think they were 20's, He changed to Haulers & were running about the same now.

Old 07-15-2002, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

MOOSE,

Can you shed any light on my questions regarding tire size etc, from my earlier post at 2:22 pm today? Thanks!

Swy

Old 07-15-2002, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

on the 20 vs 22 question, I chose the 22's because with the torque of the Raptor it made sense to get the taller tire, I thought the 20's might break loose & the 22's give me more ground clearance.

I tried a set of 10 paddle 22x11x10 Haulers, They came out of the hole great but I could tell they were eating a lot of power in the higher gears So I went with the 8 paddles. I have a piped & jetted Raptor (aprox 45RWHP) With your HP you could pull the 10 paddles easy, but 12 paddles might be overkill but I haven't dealt with those kind of HP numbers yet. I think you may be right about the 12 paddle 22's having too close of paddle spacing, There has to be a point that when the paddles get too close together they will skip instead of bite.

You might try PMing VelocityRaptor, His "tuned" Raptor is putting out some good HP numbers & he may have experiance with paddles.

You can also call Skat Trak & ask them, I talked to them & they said I should go with 9 inch wide rims instead of the 8 inch every one else seems to be running.

Old 07-16-2002, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

MOOSE,

Thanks for all the input. I just had a good conversation with a DS703 owner and he has the Padla Brats and is going to change to the EX Haulers in a 22" 10 paddle. So I have made up my mind FINALLY, and am going to go with the 22" 10 paddles also.

Thanks again MOOSE for all the help, hopefully I can return the favor some day!

Swy

Old 07-16-2002, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

I'm glad I could help!
Your going to like the Extremes!
Just rember you need the tires to have a crown to them for best bite. Unlike most tires That hook best with 2~3 psi you'll want to run around 5 psi in the Extremes. Too low of air pressure is IMO why some Haulers have thrown paddles.

Where did you end up getting them from?

What width wheels did you get?

Old 07-16-2002, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

I did check out the Roosters and they are a ton of $$$ not to mention they are 4ply and heavy,they said they are working on getting out a 2 ply,I think Ill stick with what I know works..The Turbo Paddles.Thanks for the info ...

Old 07-16-2002, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

IF YOU GUYS ARE LOOKING FOR A NICE CHEAP PAIR OF GREAT TIRES THERE IS A PAIR OF SAND SHARKS 20 X 11.00 X 10 WITH DOUGLAS RIMS ON EBAY FOR REALLY CHEAP. (reserve set at 100)

CLICK HERE NOW!!!!

Old 07-16-2002, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

MOOSE,

I haven't ordered them yet. I am actually waiting on a reply from one other person, who knows alot about paddles. I just want to make sure I don't over paddle or under paddle. Still debating on the 22" vs. 20" and the number of paddles, although I am leaning towards the 22x11x10 10 paddle. It seems Jim's at this point is the cheapest I've (you've) found. So unless I can find somewhere cheaper and that have them in stock, Jim's will get my business.

Thanks again MOOSE, I will post back after I hear from this one other guy! Thanks again for all your help!

Swy

Old 07-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

Well, so much fro getting them from Jim's, they said that I couldn't get the 22x11x10 9 paddles for 8 weeks. I need them bt mid week prior to Labor Day weekend (last weekend in Aug).

Called Fullerton in So CA and they want $40 more then JIm's which puts the cost over $300 without shipping. They have to order them too, but said they could have them in 2 weeks ready to go.

Any other ideas where to get these? Anyone?

Thanks,
Swy

Quick Reply: Sand tires, myth or truth?