Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

St Anthony Videos

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 02:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know, nobody even new I was gone. Thats ok. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Just got home from my Little sahara, St Anthonys sand dunes trip with some Montana fly fishing thrown in for good measure. Both places are great to ride. Sandgod and a few of the DS guys were there at LS Utah, and Sandgod was kind enough to show us around Saturday evening 6/29/02. Sand mountain at LS is huge and with my fat azz on it, 2nd gear was almost a struggle until 3/4 of the way up where it picks up speed. Of course my 11 year old son on my wifes stock Raptor would pass us all by before reaching the top (he gets a kick out of that). Sand god had his Z and C-Dale there. FYI the Z400's are very good quads and can hang for the most part with Raptors. We all got in some drags just before dark and on 1 occassion he pulled ahead of me near the end by a bike length. The DS's were pretty fast and I held my own and came out in front a couple times losing more than I won I'll admit. Thanks to everyone who was there for a ggod time. The LS videos will come later.

I never made it behind Sand Mountain where the bigger bowls were at LS but will next time.

St Anthonys is an awsome place. Lots of hills and half bowls to play in and the bigger section of dunes are huge and a blast to ride in. Choke cherry is everything everyone says it is but I made it up no problem. Devils dune is huge and a sight to see. Ive been to Glamis, Pismo, LS Utah, and St Anthonys. St Anthonys is by far the dunes to go to. Glamis, ive only been to 1 time and didn't get to see much. LS the same and didn't ride the bigger bowls so its not realy fair but. I can't think of enough good things to say about ST Anthonys.

Here are some videos for everyones enjoyment if you feel like it. The file sizes are pretty small.

St Anthony Videos

Old 07-14-2002, 12:00 PM
Range Rover

Great videos!.
The last time I tried to climb Choke Cherry, with a stock Roptor and Geckos, I just got sucked in to the sand about 3/4 of the way up and had to turn out. Tried it 5 times in a row with the same results. Now with a piped Raptor, I'll try it again soon (should be able to keep tire speed up a little better).
You're right, St. Anthony is a blast!. I usually ride the other end, near Sand Hills Resort, better jumps.
I couldn't make out what kind of tires the Z400 was running, do you recall?

Old 07-14-2002, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Cool Videos.....

It sure along hill climb. How big the hill climb is? 400ft? 500ft?

Old 07-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't recall what tires were on it. I'm almost positive they were a strait paddle. The day before when I thought I was tapeing everyone on theses hills. I had a Piped, Jetted, black and white Z400 going up the hill. The black and white Z's are very, very sweet looking. Of course I'm a bit biased to those colors.

The hill is 3-400' long, just guessing.

As for the Limited making it up with the geckos, he looked to be easily over 200 lbs. I'm at 235-240 myself. The sand was soft, you can see it sliding down the hills. It may not have been its softest but thats ok with me.

When we first got to the hill our first 2 days there, I was testing the hills by going up the right side of the main lane and turning left around the weeds just a little less than halfway up. As My Raptor was bogging badly in 2nd I attempted to shift to 1st just as I started turning, the bike came to a halt fast and tipped over. I jump/fell off and imediatly started trying to keep my machine from rolling down the hill. As I was sliding and holding/pushing my quad, I manage to keep it to 1 complete revolution before it landed on its wheels. I then turned the front end around and went back down the hill. A new flag was all that was needed and I had a spare. For the first 2 days we were there I was conceiding defeat to choke cherry. But getting choked by a cherry didn't set well so when we returned for a day and a half on our way home, I knew I was going to have to do it again. Only this time I didn't waste time testing the steeper sides and just blew up the middle shifting into 1st before the bike slowed to much and up I went, no problem.

Old 07-14-2002, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

LOL, I wondered if you would ever tell that story.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Well done bro.
If you had shifted into 1st while going up and not into mid turn you would have been able to climb even higher. You have more power than you give yourself credit for. But then you do have me by 20lbs or so[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2002, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

It seemed as if motorcycles who used the turn around, then jumped, landed, hit the whoops in 3rd gear and then downshifted as they climbed did the best. The bikes were a Honda CR250R and Kawasaki 500.
There were no other quads, trying the hill that is, when I was there. So I just did what the bikes were doing.
Those whoops are something!. I'm no pro, but I'm a pretty decent whoops rider. And in third gear I just lost too much momentum. I seemed to do better in second gear.

Old 07-14-2002, 03:41 PM
Range Rover

KEEEEWWWWWWLLL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2002, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

great videos!

Old 07-14-2002, 05:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just added some more. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Little Sahara videos are in also.

Old 07-16-2002, 02:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The videos page is now complete. I have highlighted the ones that look good as far as being aable to see the dunes well and the riders. The others have some areas of to much brightness but you can see the riders well, just not the dunes all the time, but most are worth the look, IMO.

Enjoy

St Anthonys Idaho and Little Sahara Utah Videos

Quick Reply: St Anthony Videos