Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Trinity 686 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think I've decided to take the plunge, and go for the Trinity 686 kit. I had looked at the 727 kit, but it seems that there is a lot more to purchase than just the $2500 kit. Mainly, the FCR's (listed at $1999 on trinity's site). Plus, from what I've seen on here, the 686 has been real reliable for everyone. Don't get me wrong, if I had the $$$, I would go for the 727. For $2000, here's what trinity lists for their 686 kit:

More fun than anyone should have in one day! This 680cc monster will rev to the moon and back, quicker and faster than any other Raptor motor out there. You get the legendary Stage IV pipe, 686 cylinder bore, Power hone, 11:1 compression 102mm Piston setup, Trinity's camshaft and valve springs, head port/polish, Trinity valve job, and your stock carbs are jetted to perfection by Trinity experts. All sealed up with a complete top end T.I.A, and Trinity's super-trick gasket and seal set! Just make sure to order one up before some tree-hugging bureaucrat makes it illegal.

So it looks like a simple process. I mean, I just pull my engine and ship it to Trinity, and 4-6 weeks later I get the new engine back? Ok, what else do I "need" to keep this engine running reliable for the next several years? It comes with new valve springs, shouldn't I change out the valves too? I'm basically looking at sending it off in October for the rebuild, and wanted to know what else I need to budget for. Also, anyone run a DMC Alien with the 686? And the final question, I can still run pump gas in it after this can't I???

Thanks in advance for the help

Old 07-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Simple process? Yes, maybe for you, but alot of work for Trinity.

I do not believe you have to send your entire motor, unless you want to. I had my first 686 done by them over a year ago and I just them my top end. This will be cheaper then sending your entire motor, for sure.

You have an 02, so the trans should be ok. You might ask Trinity about the stock rod vs. a Carillo rod. They will be able to shed some light on this subject since they see what has failed on the motors and what hasn't and why. Just ask them.

You will also want to get heavier clutch springs. Trinity can supply these for you at a reasonable cost and they are well needed with the increase of power.

Also, there are options when it comed to cams, compression, valve size and valve material. If you go with the bigger valve(s), they will come in stainless steel. Stainless is definately the way to go! I had them install stainless all the way around intake and exhaust. Remeber though, the cost gets greater as you change to better parts.

You will be happy with what ever you have them build. The 686 will embarrass a stock or piped Raptor, it's simply not the same machine!

Good luck on your decisions and your build. I'm sure we will here what you think about it after you get it back together and ride it!

Swy

Old 07-21-2002, 07:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

BlueRulez,

You live in Auburn, Ca. Trinity is in Anahiem, Ca I believe. I'd save yourself some money and drive the parts there. Providing you are not to far away. When I was talking to Harry via email. I understood I could drop my quad off and they would do the work and put it back together for the same $2000.00. I could be mistaken, but thats a better option for me than tearing things down myself. I have not done this yet. But hope to some day soon. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2002, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

If you drop the bike off it will cost you another $250, Well worth it IMHO.
$1999 for FCR's ?? Where @ the trinity site did you see that ? post a link if you could.

Michael

Old 07-21-2002, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

I too am gonna send my top end out to get done by these guys. Sounds like a blast. But from canada to the u.s., $$$$$$. Fork it !Do you guys think it would be wise to get a new swing arm asap? Does this thing run good on pump gas or would higher octane be better? 4 to 6 weeks, I don,t know if I can ride my wife,s 400ex for that long.

Old 07-21-2002, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Trans? I heard that the 2001 was blowing 2nd gear. I know that on few occasions that I,ve shifted from 1st to 2nd and no go. A slight touch and it would go into 2nd. Can you just replace 2nd gear and the shift fork or is there more to it.

Old 07-21-2002, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

spacollie,

I had my 686 for approx 6 months and used the stock swing arm. Let me tell you, it's real annoying doing a wheely everytime you hit the gas. Yes it can be fun, but not all the time. I suggest you either look at a new +2 swing arm or look at www. quad shop atv . com They can weld a 2" block onto the stock swing arm and it works and looks very good. Price wise, you will save a substantial amount of money going with the modified stocker over new.

Regarding the 2001 trans, it is a weak design and many, I mean many have failed. Mine failed within 7 months of being brand new on a completely stock Rap, if that tells you anything. NO, you can't just replace 2nd gear or 2 or 3 components, you must replace the entire trans. The thing you are going to run into is finding all the parts for it. When you look into finding the entire trans, many of the parts will be on back order.

Old 07-21-2002, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what I was afraid of. With sending the top end out and replacing the tranny thats a long time without riding. I,m thinking about ditching the 2001 and buying the 2003 but it hard to get rid of something that has been good to me so far. It,s like shooting an old dog!

Old 07-21-2002, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what I was afraid of. With sending the top end out and replacing the tranny thats a long time without riding. I,m thinking about ditching the 2001 and buying the 2003 but it hard to get rid of something that has been good to me so far. It,s like shooting an old dog!

Old 07-21-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

spacollie,

Think about this. If you were to trade or sell your 01, you would never get the money you would want out of it. Probably under $4000 for trade in (to the dealer who is going to sell you the 03)and under $4800 to sell it out right.

The 02 trans can be bought for around $450 (I paid $410, because I know someone) and you already know what the Trinity kit will cost you. Call and ask Trinity what they will charge you to install the 02 trans if you send them your entire motor (instead of just the top end). I can guarentee you that Trinity will charge you less to do the 02 swap then your dealer. Or, if you feel you have the capabilities to do a trans swap yourself, save yourself some cash.

When were you planning to send out the motor to Trinity? If you order the 02 trans ASAP, you can probably get all the parts within 2 weeks. The 02 parts have been on back order for awhile and should be coming in soon, so if you get your order for these out asap, you should be in pretty good shape.

Quick Reply: Trinity 686 Questions