Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Polaris Predator

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would not suprise me at all. They are jsut about the same anyways. Both are not worth giving away.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Allright children, play nice. It's hard to be the new kid. More good quads is what we wanted right? RIGHT? So now the allmighty Raptor has some competition. But don't think of the Predator and Z as competition, think of them as new playmates.
.... I have seen the Predator and ridden it till I had blisters on my hands, albeit on a silly little demo track. It handles great has a great engine with lots of power and I think itLOOKS GREAT TOO! I think a Raptor with a pipe and airbox mods will beat it. I think the Predator is already tuned, it may be that a pipe does little more for it than a pipe does on a 400EX. The Raptor will remain the horsepower king by virtue of its larger displacement and potential gains.
.... Now the Cannondale, that's an ugly quad, and despite all the good things that are said about it, it still sounds like it is coming apart at the seams, and it costs way too much money.
.... Predator is the best bang for the buck going, with no need for wider axle or a-arms. The jury is out on the front shocks, though, I thought they were too stiff, but I think about every quad has too stiff front shocks, especially a Raptor. I will put Works triple rates on my Predator, or maybe I can get a different spring setup from Fox.
....I like Raptors, but I like my DS better. I like the Predator better than either. Handling is clearly superior, it is not as wide or as heavy as a DS, but it has a lower center of gravity than any other sport quad. It is very well balanced between power, size and handling. The zero bump steer linkage makes every other quad's steering look stone-age.
.... The Z is a little small for me, but Skyler wants to sell his Raptor and get a Z, which would be a little more manageble for him, especially in the air. Of course he will need a wider axle, front shocks and maybe A-arms for the Z. That means I can keep him working for the next couple of years......Thank god for hot new quads!!!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-09-2002, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

i am extremly happy polaris put out the predator!!! i think it puts them on the right track for there customers, and it adds to the sport market. to say the least, it it is reliable, and is all the test riders are saying it is, maybe it will light a fire under yamaha's a$$!!! we all know the raptor has had tranny problems, and is detuned, right? well, if polaris can produce a 500, that out handles it, and can keep with it, for less money, then yamaha will have to respond with more power, and better handling. all quads i have owned have been yamaha's, and i feel there quality is slipping hard in the last few years. so, let polaris school them for a little bit, and maybe the sale slip will put them back to the place the always strived to be at!!! but, this is just my opinion, i might be wrong, lol!

my pictures

Old 08-10-2002, 04:54 AM
Pro Rider

mich660, I think you might be right. Maybe it's the time of year, or the economy, but a few months back I had to go on a waiting list for my raptor. My local shop now has two '03 raps that have been sitting for several weeks. I was in sacramento today, and went by the dealership, same thing. They aren't moving like they were. Starting to be a lot more competition (well, not really the rap still rules in my humble opinion), but that might open up some eyes at yamaha. As far as reliability though, my 02 raptor has had zero problems so far, and runs great. I haven't really heard of anyone having problems since they fixed the tranny in 02. Also, it seems that none of these new quads are venturing above 35 hp. Give me a detuned 660 compared to a hopped up 400 anyday. I have a he11 of a lot more room to play...Anyway, that subjects been run into the ground. As far as the predator goes, first time I saw the pictures, the first thought I had was eeeewwwwwww! I guess someone will buy the thing. Kinda coyote ugly if you ask me. Whoever buys one is probably the same guy who goes home with the fat chicks at closing time.

Old 08-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

i haven't seen a predator in person yet. what is the weight? atleast polaris is coming out with a racing style quad. besides, polaris was the first company to start producing hi-performance four wheelers again. even if they were 600 lb four wheel drives. airtime

Old 08-10-2002, 09:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your not saying the Scramblers were the start of the high perfomance wars, are you? Thats funny...

RoostKing...

Old 08-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

SORRY BUT I WAS REFERRING TO THE SPORTSMAN 500. THE SCRAMBLERS DO HAVE A ROLE TO PLAY JUST NOT IN THE HIGH PERFORMANCE FIELD. airtime