Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Plastic Renew

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with what raptor58 said about Plastic Renew. I had a Prairie 650, and wanted to get some scratches out. I bought the Plastic Renew and followed the instructions. First you are supposed to wet sand it with a coarse sand paper. This putt's bigger scratches in it than it already had. Also, when you sand the plastic, it looses its shine and turns kind of white! You actually loose the color. I about had a hart attack right there. Then you wet sand it with smoother and smother sand paper getting rid of all the scratches that you can, from the sand paper, but the color is still white and dull. Then after you have sanded it really smooth it is time to put the chemical shine on it, which will return the shine and the color, (thank god!). But the problem is, at least on a quad. Unless you do the entire fender, rather than just the area that needs it, you will have a line between the area that you have sanded and applied the chemical, and the area that you left alone. On a dirt bike fender, where you could easily do the whole thing, it probably isn't a problem, but on a quad where you have a big fender it is a pain.

Anyway, then you apply the chemical to restore the shine with a paper towel, per their instructions, which will leave streaks in the shine! So you started off trying to get rid of some small scratches, and in the process you made bigger scratches that you had to sand out, then you created streaks in the shine with the chemical, because of the paper towel (you should be able to spray it on in order to get a smooth finish) and on top of that, you have a line between the area of the fender that was in good shape that you didn't try to repair because it didn't need it, and the area that you applied the chemical to. Once it was all done, it looked half way decent, or maybe I just was thankful that I was able to salvage it, but I think it would have looked better if I had just left it a lone, and shined it up with Armoral.

Now, on top of all the stress and hard work, I found out that the chemical shine will come off if you get anything like gas on it. Also, soaps like Dawn will remove the chemical shine when you wash your quad, so that you are left with the sanded dull white spot on you fender. You can also scrape it right off with your fingernail like Raptor58 said. I was so depressed about it, I applied a fresh coat and shined it up and sold my Prairie 650! That's no bull. I sold it and vowed that when my next quad got scratched up I would just leave it alone and continue to wash it and shine it, but not try anything like that to get the scratches out. Anything you do will just make it worse. Even steal wool will remove the shine and you cannot get it back.

I bought a new Raptor, and it now has the same scratches that yours does on the rear fender (mainly the right one) from my AlpineStar boots. And so far I have resisted the urge to try to fix it. The best thing I have found to shine up your quad and hide the scratches is Turtle Wax Formula 2001 spray. You spray it on like Armoral, and then wipe it off, and it leaves an awesome shine that water will bead on. It is for plastic and has sun block to protect the color. Aside from that, if the scratches still really bother you after the Turtle Wax Formula 2001 spray, I would advise putting some cool stickers over them. Trust me, I know from experience, anything you do to the plastic to try to get the scratches out and to make it look better, will only make it worse!!! Try the Turtle Wax Formula 2001; you will really like the way it makes your Raptor look! Sorry I can't be of more help, but at least maybe I can keep you from making the same mistakes that I made. Good Luck.

Old 08-12-2002, 04:17 AM
Pro Rider

come on with the magic in a bottle already!!! it doesnt really exist.
I'm a klutz and admit it.
So, when i goof it up, i put a sticker over it... no kiddin! lol
check chaparral, and folks like dennis kirk, and you can buy complete sheets of sponsor stickers....they look good, and yer ride looks good as well. {i took offf the DIRTWHEELS stickers after that last issue hehe}
...like advertising for a ##### house i think.. oh well.
if ya cant afford the plastic, and ya ride hard enuf to have fun, my advice is to invest in some cool stickers! cya! ;p

Old 08-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

lol raptor8, if your going to sell or trade your quad buy the plastic renew kit. your plastic will look great til you ride and wash it then it mostly comes off.

Old 08-12-2002, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

Area 51:

Your response was outstanding!!!

That took a lot of time to type out, but will help lots of folks down the road.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is replies like yours that helps all of us out!

Old 08-12-2002, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Rob4092, I just wanted to make sure that someone else didn't make the mistake that I did with the Plastic Renew, when concerned about the scratches in their plastic. I'm glad to be able to help out and contribute to this forum. I have learned so much from so many people on this site that it's the least I can do to help out when I have some experience concerning a question that has been posted. I love this site because there is always someone willing to help in your time of need.

Old 08-12-2002, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Also try Eagle One Plastic - Polish and Protectant. I bought it for cleaning the soft top windows on my Jeep. It works great on plastic. Not much good on scratches, but what is. If does put a really nice shine on the plastic parts though.

Old 08-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Bought it wasted money and time for poor results. Parts look good until you use them and I do not think I want to just sit and look at my 4-wheeler. Have not tried but Mothers has a plastic polish. If it is as good as their other products I have tried it "ought" to be awesome.

Would like to hear if anyone has tried the Mothers Plastic Polish.

Of course I will try it outon the ol 1987 Big Bear before I lay it to the Raptor.

(Big Bear is getting new plastic soon, then no more trials on her either)

Old 08-13-2002, 02:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK guys, here is the way to do it, but you must be brave. First wash your bike and get it clean as possible. Now take mineral spirits (paint thinner) and rub the bike down to remove contaminents. Now the hard part, take a standard propane tourch and warm the plastic. It is important that you follow the specific instructions for this procedure to the letter. Start with the tourch at it's lowest setting and hold it about a foot from the plastic being careful to not hold it one spot but moving side to side, up and down, whatever. I have found it best to against the grain of the scratch. The first thing you will notice is an area of haze that will show on the plastic around the area being heated. Next the plastic will start to become very shiny, when this happens move off the shiny area quickly. Try to heat the plastic in strips for a more uniform result. Heat realtively small areas on each body part or the fender or whatever will try to lose shape. When you finish use 3M Scratch Remover according to directions. Patience is the thing to remember, but te results are great.

Please check out my club site at www.midnightridge.com

Old 08-13-2002, 06:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I am going to just live with the scratches for now. It looks like the plastic renew is a rip off and me and fire don't mix very well.

Area51 thanks for the warning in such great detail, it would have taken me hours to type that.

Old 08-13-2002, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Ward660R, I think your doing the right thing with just living with the scratches. I hate them in mine to, but really their not that bad, and it just show's that you ride your Raptor the way it was meant to be ridden, hard! My guess is that you have been ridding on the very back of the seat, so that you can keep the front end light and scream through the woops [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] At least that is how I think I put those very same scratches in mine with my boots [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Anyway, the way that I am trying to look at is, that it just shows that you ride aggressively! I polish mine up with the Turtle Wax Formula 2001 spray, an even with the scratches it still looks good!

Quick Reply: Plastic Renew