Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how do you expand a blaster motors life???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not totally sure about running a 50:to 1 but try a 42:1 that should work the best i ran 32:1 with my blaster prolly a little bit strong but did the job.

Old 08-23-2002, 07:14 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I think I will stick with 32:1 and maybe even a little stronger for my kdx's.

About 15 times around the place in the evening and your bug free for awhile if there is no wind. I prefer smoke over bugs.

Chet

Old 08-24-2002, 02:52 AM
Range Rover

This is an easy question.

ENGINE COATINGS!!!!!!!!!

To increase the engine life, the piston alone is the only thing you need to be concerned with.

When it comes to preventing high heat, cermit is what I use...and not ceramic. If you want that, you will have to go to NASA and get it from the space shuttle. But it will not work!! It will fall right off. If you make it a 1/4" thick, you could shield a turbo with it, but you can't make it stick to a piston. I tried over 5 years ago and failed.

If you coat a piston crown with cermit however, it will shrink and stretch with the piston and reduce heat transfer greatly. This in itself is a way to control heat and channel it where you want it. Not only that, but it also reflects the flame front. So now your flame speed is increased and detonation is less likely. This means more timing.

I wish I could show you a emissions slip from my old 250R. It was so lean that my CO was .06!!! Normally, it would be 5.00!!!

The piston skirt can be coated with a dry film lubricant that reduces friction on the skirts alone. if you can reduce friction, even by a little, you make horsepower and reduce heat. Not only that, but you can also coat the piston from underneath in the wristpin area with an oil shedder lubricant. this reduces the ammount of oil that is stuck to the bottom of the piston everytime it goes up the cylinder. This little bit of weight reduction is noticable!!! Revs faster and easier. It also reduces oil tempratures by over 25 degrees on most engines.

Coat them man. This is something that nearly everyone overlooks when building engines because they think that it is a waste of time, but nearly every pro level racer has an engine with these mods. They just don't let others know about it. Trust me....I did the work on them myself!

Captain

Old 08-24-2002, 04:12 AM
RIP Dear Friend

CaptainCarl,

Usually, I only have to read things about 13 times to understand what you states people say.

I had to face towards the East, turn my head into the wind and read that 50 times to understand and then I understood that K-Y jelly is an engine coating and is OK to use as a lubricant and that it is habit forming.

Chet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2002, 09:04 PM
The Facility

LMAO!!!!

Actually, the Captain has a good point and i have heard of this being done before, but have never seen it or knew some directly who had it done.
All of the Nascar teams and Formula racers have their engines setup with this.

How much does this process cost Captain?? Remember,.....it's a Blaster that we are talking about here.

Old 08-24-2002, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

WOW verry impressed with the captains knowledge of pistons and coatings. Ive got a question for you ever heard of titainium silicate pistons used in nascar? Rumors are some one is using this type of piston in their raptor revs like a 2 stroke ultra fast the engine once done should almost be close to 900cc

Liftkit genrally the reson why a an engine is painted is to dissapate heat not trap it in.

Old 08-25-2002, 04:45 AM
Range Rover

KNOWSALOT,

I didn't bust my chops for 10 years to tell you everything in 10 minutes.

My work is extremly confidential. I disclose nothing to nobody when it comes to the actual work being performed.

Prices vary with model and how long it takes to do it right. Not every piston, even from the same company, coats as well as the next. It takes patience and skill. Two things that i have and not for sale.

Not being funny. Just telling you how it is with my work. A Blaster piston coating will set a person back about $150.00 if it goes well the first try. if it doesn't, I charge per 30 minute period at a labor rate of $30.00 for that same time period. If you want something doen or if you want to sub out some work for me let me know and we can get in touch. But don't expect a conversation that goes outside the scope of pricing only.

Captain

Old 08-25-2002, 03:06 PM
RIP Dear Friend

"But don't expect a conversation that goes outside the scope of pricing only."

CaptainCarl,
I guess your meaning you just want the money and if its not done right then you want more money.

When I was making burgers for 17 years and it was not done right the person would bring it back, half eaten and hollow, then throw the burger on the floor, stomp on it and I was then forced to clean that burger up and then give them another burger for no more money and the person was still mad about the first burger and would never tell me if the second burger was OK.

I am glad I sold more good burgers than bad burgers. Now I just sit back and relax and don't have to make anymore good or bad burgers.

Chet

Old 08-25-2002, 08:09 PM
The Facility

CAP'N CRUNCH,

I had a conversation with another member about engine coatings a few weeks ago. He had this same attitude as you do. I'll give you the same reply as I gave him.

Tell ya what.
Take that 5 gallon pail of coatings in one hand and a good hand pump in your other hand.
Hop in the back seat of your Pinto and you can pump those coatings straight up your salesman @$$!!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2002, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

back in the olden days they dazzled with their high-foluten terms and learned attitude to confuse ya into thinkin you cant live without the product. Snake oil salesman are old as time itself.

Quick Reply: how do you expand a blaster motors life???