Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 and the SWAYBAR

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK....i have put 160 so miles on the bike with the swaybar off.
Here is the scoop:

Off camber is awsome. The tires stay where they should. The bike seems to ride better too. The suspension is able to work better and absorb more of the shock.

NOW THE BAD NEWS: Almost ANY corner that i take at speed OR just trying to fishtail......the inside front tire comes OFF the ground. This bike has body ROLL! If you are just putting around and doing mud/big rock type trails....i would say, take it off. IF you do ANY fast trail riding and like powering into corners....LEAVE it on!

I am installing the swaybar back the way it was.

Jonathan

Old 08-19-2002, 07:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The choice of removing the sway bar is entirely a preference thing. Totally depends on what you want it to do. I've had mine off since last August and with the shocks on the next to stiffest setting. Suits me fine, and I do take it full throttle quite a bit.

I can feel some difference with it on and with it off, but that $hit your pants feeling you get on a sidehill with the bar on is just too much for me to handle. I ride too much in those conditions to keep it on there. Thought the one thing I do love is the choice to put it back on or take it off at will depending on what mood I'm in. Very easy to do.

Old 08-19-2002, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

I know there is a quick disconnect bar for Jeeps, matbe you guys should lookinto who makes it and try to get one for your quad that would be the best of both worlds.

Old 08-19-2002, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

It is really easy to remove and to put on....but i do know what you mean about a "quick disconnect". I have a Jeep with one. I dont think that i ride quite as much side hill that i need to keep it off. I have become a pretty good rider with it on and just feel more comfortable with it on. I get the "sh*t in your pants" feeling when going around a corner fast with the bar OFF....lol

I would rather be able to kick the rear end of the bike around (power slide) then just have the bike a little more stable on off camber riding. Usually i am going straight up the hill or down it, not on the side of it.

It is nice that the bar is easy to install/remove....guess you can choose how you want it for the ride you are doing that "day".!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jonathan

OH YA....i have the shocks at the stiffest setting all the way around. Ride quality "I" think is better with it stiffer. Better cornering and STILL an awsome comfort ride.