Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pipes & jet kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2000, 11:43 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the talk about pipes and jet kits I was wondering, am I the only one with a budget? I'm not trying to put any brand down, but jet kits are in the $100.00 range and the pipes everone talks about are in the $200.00- $300.00 range. I myself spent $14.00 on a good filter. Another $2.95 (each) for new jets, And another $79.95 for a Cobra steel pipe. I know the jet kits are not anything more than what I got, so go figure on that. The pipes? Has anyone ever tried different pipes on the same bike or is everyone taking the word of a dealer or magazine on whats the best? having buddys that have quads the same type help with trying different brands. I have tried a supertrapp, a Cobra alum., steel, and utilty,an DG, and an FMF. All made more power low, mid, and high than stock. But truthfully, do they totally out do each other? If anyone says they do, then they have a dyno and can find the 1 hp here or there that does not actully exsist on the trail. As far as sound (or noise). The Supertrapp with just 6 disc was by far the loudest, with the others about the same. I don't know? Am I missing something here? I would like everones opinion. Do you get more by buying the high-priced stuff?

Old 03-21-2000, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

Very well said. What do you ride asfastasu?

I was wondering if Cobra has a pipe for my Grizzly yet? I checked there website and it doesn't show one but I havn't called yet. I had one my Honda TRX200 and it made a big difference and was relativly inexpensive compared to the others.

Old 03-21-2000, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

I've got an 96 Wolverine. 25" Swamper TSL's ,Cobra steel pipe,rejetted and an Uni Filter. I love it!

Old 04-07-2000, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

ASFASTASU,
I don't know why you didn't get any more response than this. I think you have made a great point. In a world that you usually get what you pay for I guess folks are too scared to try a cheaper pipe. I would really like to give the Cobra a shot with the tight budget that I am on, and I may just do it since you have had such great results from your setup but when a company spends so little in advertising and letting you know that they can keep up with the brand names you are always scared to give it a shot. I noticed that you metioned that you spent 79 bucks on your pipe. I have been pipe hunting for a little while now and I have only found 1 place selling Cobras and their $79 pipe, which is what I assume you have didn't even metion HP gains. It talked about being a replacement for stock pipes. I really do think that is why there are so few people with them. Lack of advertising, but I guess that is how they sell them so cheap. If anyone else out there is running a Cobra why don't you tell what you think of them? Some people just don't have hundreds to spend on pipes.
Jody Smith
95 Wolverine
All stock but soon to change that.

Old 04-13-2000, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

asfastasu

I was just wondering where you got all that stuff because i am looking to do some things to my 00' wolverine. thanks

00' wolverine stock

Old 04-13-2000, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

I have seen cobra ads. before also. The one I saw was advertising cobra replacement pipes. I think replacement is the word that scares people off. They don't say you get any HP gains, and if you K&N and Jet your going to get some wether it's the pipe or not! Replacement seems to be the problem word.

Old 04-14-2000, 09:57 AM
Range Rover

Pipes react much differently on a 2 stroke engine that they do on a thumper. Banshee pipes are a good example. The size and shape of the expansion chamber has a great effect on the engine. Some 2 stroke pipes are tuned for top end and some produce more bottom end. On a four stroke engine you don't need an expansion chamber. The four stroke pipes are primarily designed to increase flow. Some four stroke pipes are tunable by adding or subtracting discs, which open and restrict the flow. I agree with you that there isn't a whole lot of difference between various four stroke pipes. Most all of them are much better than stock. The stock pipes are very restrictive because of emission standards. I've got a supertrapp racing series w/12 discs on my wolverine, and an fmf powercore 4 on the 400ex, and a motofast 2 into 1 on the banshee. I also agree about the jet kits, they are a total rip off.

Bruce
2000 Banshee
99 400ex
99 wolverine

Old 04-16-2000, 11:05 PM
Range Rover

To wolverine owners with pipes. I have the prodesign itake and the new procircuit t-4 pipe.The quad ran fine with pipe only but with the new intake and bigger filter it sometimes sputters and it misses on the top end, what should I do about jetting, I dont care about power all that much I just want it to quit being so finiky and run with more power and still be easy to keep running, which jetts do i need

Andrew
99wolverine blue, procircuit pipe, prodesign filter and intake plate.

Old 04-17-2000, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

What size main jet are you running now. If you are running stock main, bump up to a 145. I run a 147.5 in my 99. Email me if you have any more question, i'll try to help.