Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having trouble getting my brothers Raptor to start. I don't have any spark at the plug so I thought it may be the coil and I checked the voltage going to the coil and there isn't any. Does anyone know if there is a in-line fuse that goes from the coil to the battery? I lose where the wires go cause they are tied to the frame but it does look like it goes into a bigger bundle of wires and then I lose where they go. Also could it be a short in the start switch not letting voltage get to the coil. And does anyone know how much a coil is for a Raptor. It did this all of the sudden without any warning or signs. I would greatly appreciate any replys.

Old 08-25-2002, 07:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The only fuses I am aware of are under the seat by the battery. When you push the start button it closes a set of contacts in the starter relay. The fuse is inline with the relay and starter. Is the battery dead? Are the battery wire connections tight? They come loose quite often. Give those things a look see.

Doh... After re reading you obviously have the bike turning over. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2002, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like you've got a deadshort in your wiring somewhere. Make sure you meter both sides of your wire to ground when testing. Also check for continuity.

Old 08-25-2002, 08:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Also, this is what I have found, look at and examine the on and off button, that gave me some trouble awhile back.

Hope you get it fixed.

Old 08-25-2002, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

The battery is completly charged although we ran it down trying to start it but we just put a charger on it and it came right back up. I checked the fuse under the seat by the battery and it checked out ok. The other fuse shows to be a spare in the owners manual. The lights all work and the switch seems to operate ok but no spark. I guess we'll change the coil just to be sure, if it's not too much. I sure appreciate your suggestions. Anything else y'all think of just write back. Thanks.

Old 08-25-2002, 10:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well from what you said before no power to the coil, I dont think replacing the coil is going to help. It looks like you will need to trace the positive wire to its connection and go from there. Electrical problems can take some time, you just have to have some patience. If its not getting power then it has to be something else. If you do find the problem, please post it when you can.

Old 08-25-2002, 10:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have had some connection problems with the starter relay. I couldn't see anything loose but I wiggled the relay and the wires under the seat and it started. I know I didn't use the most up to date method of repair but its whatever works right.

Old 08-25-2002, 10:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

One more thing, a buddy of mine had the similar problem and it was his CDI unit. If you know someone that can check it out for you that would be great, his buddy works on bikes and had some way of testing it and found out it was bad. Or if you know someone with a Raptor and they dont mind you swapping out the CDI unit that will work too. Just be cautious and connect all terminals snug before firing up the bike.

Old 08-25-2002, 11:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check these.

1. Spark plug cap resistance= 10 ohms at 68 degrees
2. Ignition coil resistance = positive lead to the orange terminal, negative lead to the coil base.
Primary coil resitance = 0.18-0.28 ohms at 68 degrees
Secondary coil resistance = positive lead to the orange terminal, negative lead to the spark plug lead.
Secondary coil resistance = 6.32-9.48 ohms at 68 degrees.

There are several other checks in the ignition system. It starts on page 8-6 in the service manual. If you don't have one it's a good investment. JMO