Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 12:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did the same thing, I was scratching my head for a day or two and found out my valves tightened up on me. Sure ran good until the time I shut it off, but I must tell you that it did have a bit starting like I wanted it to but after the valve adjustment it started up on a slight touch of the button. Let us now what you find out ok.

Old 09-17-2002, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Hey RaptorCam,

As Raptorowner mention about the valves and had you had the chance to look into that too? I would look too. Just trying to help you out.....

Old 09-17-2002, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Greetings from Ocala, FL.... I am by no means a mechanic...but just my 2 cents worth.... Try to check all the little stupid start lockout things...you know if it senses you dont have the clutch pulled in etc...i know on my warrior i had a fit of a time tracing a no start problem and found it in the reverse lever wire. Had something to do with the safety lockout features. I probably didnt explain this very well...maybe someone else could elaborate a little better.
Dave

Old 09-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the replies everyone! I double checked all the wiring for continuity last night and all is good there. I can't really check the CDI as far as I know, maybe somebody has a way..... I will check the valves tomorrow and see how they look. I had checked them 4 days before it stopped working, so I was just bypassing them, but now that RaptorQwner mentioned it, certainly could cause this problem.

Old 09-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds like you have everything except fuel going through the carb according to the test you did. Try removing the the air filter and sqirt some starting fluid directly in the intake and see if it fires. If it does then check your carb.

Old 09-18-2002, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

I stoped to help someone in the dunes who could not start his bike. After 15 minutes of checking things, I turned the fuel valve to reserve and it started right up. Sometimes the solution staring you in the face is the hardest one to see.

Old 09-18-2002, 02:14 PM
Range Rover

<< I stoped to help someone in the dunes who could not start his bike. After 15 minutes of checking things, I turned the fuel valve to reserve and it started right up. Sometimes the solution staring you in the face is the hardest one to see. >>

Man---I wish this was the problem!! I ordered the starter plunger assembly (should be in today) and will install it. It was the only thing I could find wrong, it was pretty corroded. I took the carbs apart and checked for clogs, etc., it all looked fine. Fuel is getting to the carbs. The only other thing I think may be the problem is a faulty CDI.

Old 09-19-2002, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Just wondering did u ever check the compression by chance????
just an idea, but i thought u had fire so that means ur cdi is technicly good. just some thoughts

Eshelman

-----------------------
88 Warrior
K&amp;N Air Filter
No Airbox
Pro Circuit T-4
Duro Rear Tires
DP Race Brake Pads
Fresh Rebuild
DG Nerfs W/ Red Web
Plastic Redone

99 Blaster
Fatty Gold Series Pipe
Power Core 2 Silencer

Old 09-19-2002, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

That what I have been telling him to see if he did the compression check. I have polite ask him twice so far and no answer on that. It wouldn't hurt to do it. It only take a few mins or so.

Old 09-19-2002, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

Sorry about that desracers--compression is fine! I took the carb apart a little bit ago and found something I had missed on the first try; the needle valve set (under the float attachment) on the left carb was stuck. It didn't allow any fuel in. I didn't catch it at first because there was fuel in both bowls when I drained them. The second time I drained the carbs, there was no fuel in the left side, which was strange, so I just took it apart and found it. Started right up! Thanks for all the help everyone! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Raptor won't start