Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Full Yosh Exhaust Guys, What Airbox Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you know that I had to sell of my DMC pipe cause it was too loud, and I got a ticket here in California. I went ahead and bought the Yosh full exhaust. Funny thing is, I just found out it's illegal in California to modify the carbs or exhaust system because of emissions. Man, I have got to move out of this state!

Anyway, my question. The yosh manual suggests (2) 1 3/4" holes in the lid. From reading the dirtwheels shootout I noticed that they removed the snorkel. Here's the line from their website on it:

Yoshimura Tec-SA Stainless steel/alum Screen Allens 150/155 (2)1-3/4" holes, no snorkle (909) 673-1060

Anyway, you see my dilema. The yosh instructions don't say anything about removing the snorkel. What airbox mods have you guys done. With my DMC, I had made a couple of very large holes in my old lid, and just trimmed the flaps off the snorkel. Don't know if I want to remove it all together. I am running the pro design pro flo kit with k&n.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm gonna install the pipe tomorrow, well it's already tomorrow now, but I haven't been to bed yet. Anyway, gonna install it on Wednesday.

Old 08-28-2002, 09:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Where is Auburn? I live in Southern California and have heard of no noise restrictions anywhere that I ride other than the local mountains. Also, who is feeding you the lines about modifying the carbs and exaughst?

Even if it were true and I believe it is not. Who's going to know that you have modified the carbs? And if changing your exaughst is illeagal here in California, 95% of motorcycle and quad riders here are breaking the law. LOL

Old 08-28-2002, 10:51 AM
klj
Trailblazer

I have the full yoshi as well.

If you look at the picture of the lid in the instructions you'll notice that the snorkel is not attached. I think that's the only indication about not attaching the snorkel...no actual words saying "remove snorkel".

I didn't want to remove mine so this is what I did: Originally I cut the two 1.75" holes as they show, snorkel on with flaps trimmed, 150/155 jets, 1.5 turns out on fuel screws. Started it and my headers near the exhaust ports turned purple (too lean). Adjusted the fuel screws to 3 turns out as some on here suggested and that seemed to work....my headers are mostly golden brown but still a bit bluey purple at the motor (possibly some residual coloring left from when the fuel screws were at 1.5 turns out). Went for a rip and the bike stumbled on top (too rich as it turns out). Went back and cut approximately the back 2.5" of the lid off (the portion just behind the two fins on the underside that hold the stock filter in place)....Bike now runs perfect.

To sum up...150/155 jets, 3 turns out on fuel screws, snorkel on with flaps trimmed, back 2.5" of lid cut off, one 1.75" hole in the remaining portion of the lid. The remaining portion of the lid is held on by 4 of 6 clips. I can put on the rear 2.5" portion held on with the back 2 clips if I want and even tape up the holes/cuts if required as the temperature cools....Oh ya...the back 2.5" lid portion has a 1.75" hole in it as well from my original attempt to set things up.

I am at 800' above sea level and temps. are anywhere from 50 to 85 degrees F but usually between 68 and 85F.

Good Luck

Old 08-28-2002, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

I have the full Yoshi system. I have the ProFlow K&N w/outerwear kit that I run with the airbox lid off. I also installed the Dynojet kit which changes out the needles,springs,jets,etc. I am running the 150/155 dynojet jets, needles in the 4th position from the top and pilots 3 turns out. The 155 dynojet does not come in the kit. It has to ordered separately. The improvement from stock was incredible. Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2002, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the input. So, no snorkel is the way to go, right? Also, looks like I might be cutting a little more of my lid up that planned. I will work on that too. Gonna catch up on a few emails this morning, and start on it.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2002, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

I almost forgot, on all state a federal land in the state of California, the legal noise limit for OHV vehicles is 101 DB. As for the modification of the carb/exhaust, most likely you will exceed the legal limit defined by The California Air Resources Board (CARB) if you modify your stock exhaust/carb settings. The limit set on California OHV's is 1.5 Hydrocarbons, and 15.0 Carbon Monoxide for all OHV's manufactured after January 1, 1997. This is where the red and green sticker deal comes into play. Vehicles that don't meet these emission standards are awarded the coveted red sticker. Mostly just the two strokes get that award, but someone on here posted that warriors get the red sticker (just heresay, I haven't confirmed this as fact). Have you ever heard about California Raptors producing 1 or 2 HP below Raptors manufactured for other states? I don't know that is fact, but I've heard mention of it several times in the forums, maybe even a magazine. That would tell me that for california produced OHV's they are choking off the bikes even more than they already do for the rest of the world.

My DMC pipe with SA measured at 103 DB. The full yosh exhaust with TEC option is only supposed to come in at 100 DB. I was tested with my DMC pipe, it measured 103. Gonna be getting a fine in the mail. I live fairly far up north in California. About 1 1/2 hours from Reno, NV. Might start playing more in Nevada. Anyway, I ride mostly on US Forest Service lands. If it's a private track, you can run straight pipes, there's no laws there.

Hope this helps...

Old 08-28-2002, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wow, you certainly come packed with information to back up your claims. Thanks. I've heard the cali models are 1-3 HP less than out of state models. I wanted to ride anytime of the year here in Cali so I chose a couple less ponies.

Northern California is more mountanious and I could see more restrictions on noise than a more wide open area of So Cal. Like I said the mountains we ride in here have signs posted no loud exaughsts. They do not however post a decible level. My pipe is suppose to be 101 anyway. And with 12 disks (I have 18 now) at Idle its barely louder than stock.

When you were tested how did they do it? Did they stand so many feet away? Put the meter right up to your exaughst? Rev it to the moon? (which would **** me off if someone did that to my quad) How long did they rev it? And how many RPMs would you guess? TIA

Old 08-28-2002, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

I put 3 1" holes in the lid of my buddies Rappy with full Yosh TEC, Pro Flow intake, K&N, and Dyno Jet kit. Worked out great. I went by the instructions in the jet kit for the altidue and aftermarket pipe for the jets and needle position. Went by instructions for air mixture screw, too. Sorry, I can't remember the #'s of what jets I used and needle position off the top of my head. The bike pulls hard from bottom to top. Seems to be pretty much spot on. Even left the snorkel on. I've ridden it hard and haven't noticed any bogging or sputtering at any point in the rpm range. Plug looks good, too.

Old 08-29-2002, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for everyone's info. I started on it late today, then had an open house deal at the kids school, so I ended up just pusing everything into the garage, gonna get it finished up tomorrow.

wshrdskin - When I initially decided on the DMC, I did it because wide open the pipe's loud at 103, but at half throttle it's maybe 96-97. I heard from someone else on here that they got tested, they worked the throttle themselves, and only had to go about 1/2 throttle. Anyway, when mine was tested, they had the little db meter gadget about a foot behind, and maybe 6" to the right of the exhaust. A different guy worked the throttle, and yes, he revved it to the moon, held it for a couple of seconds (maybe 7000 rpm's), backed it off, and ran it up again. I seriously thought it was gonna blow something up. I was mad about it, but it was just a real crappy situation. One of those "shoulda done", "shoulda said" situations. Anyway, I've got the yosh now, may be a few less hp, but I'm legal anywhere I go in this state (unless you count the trial runs up and down my street).

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's input. I'm gonna mess with different jets & airbox mods more tomorrow, and see what runs best for me.

Old 08-29-2002, 09:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gonna need to hunt down testing rules. From some I've talked to they are suppose to be 10' away with the meter when testing. Sheit, 1 foot away revving to the moon will almost produce 101 db's on a stock exaughst. Pedestrians in the vacinity of the rider are not 1 foot away. There must be some information on the internet somewhere. Thanks

Quick Reply: Full Yosh Exhaust Guys, What Airbox Mods