Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here's what's been going on with my 99 BB 4x4. The past few times I've been riding in some serious mud and water, usually up around the top of the seat. My problem occurs after I've gone though the mud/water. It stalls pretty bad. It won't take gas, it sort of sputters and backfires slightly. At first I thought I might have "bad" gas, but after 3 different tank, it still did it. I thought problems with water getting to the plug, but the plug is new and it was clean when I took it out. I've taken good care of it, only recently have I started going through the thicker stuff since I got tires. I'm thinking now it may be the water vapor getting into the intake where the gas tank is. It's not water or mud getting to the carb, because the filter is clean. Does this sound like water vapor? Thanks, Chris

Old 08-31-2002, 10:47 AM
Range Rover

If you are going through stuff up to the top of your seat you could be getting water in your air intake. Does the quad go dead???? Have you checked your oil to see if it has water in it???? If neither of those are the case, you could squirt some di-electric grease in your spark plug boot in case it is shorting.

Old 08-31-2002, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer

Hit everything with dielectric grease all your connections. Double check plug wire for cracks or dry rot. Riding to the top of the seat is a bit risky your intake is not much higher then that.

Old 08-31-2002, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, but I've done all that. I know that NO water is getting into the intake, because the filter area would be soaked and the filter would be wet. I just replaced it in late winter this year and it still looks new. It doesn't stop running when it happens, just sputters and won't take gas. After a couple minutes, it's back to normal, with no problems! Any other ideas? Thanks, again, Chris

I'll try and get a pic of the mud holes I've gone through to give you an idea of how deep I am going!

Old 08-31-2002, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

I suggest emptying the carb bowl, then if that dosent work clean the carb.

Old 08-31-2002, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

I agree!! I also have a bigbear and the same thing happened to mine after I flipped it over at a pond levy. When we got it out, there was water in the carburetor and oil. It wouldn't crank back up untill we cleaned the carburetor. Try this and you will see what i am talking about.
Thanks,
SirClip

Old 09-02-2002, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll give that a try, Thanks, Chris

Old 09-04-2002, 08:30 PM
Range Rover

Mybe water entering where carb bolts to intake, could have crack there.

Old 09-05-2002, 12:51 AM
Range Rover

After running throubh high water or mud spray brake clean aroun carb to see if any leaks, should idle up if so.