Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Owners and Riders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions for the banshee owners. I live in New Jersey and was considering a banshee for my next quad. I do ride some trails and do go through some mud. I was wondering how the banshee handles in the trails and in the mud? What is the best mixture for my area (if you live in Jersey New York, or Pennsylvania) Is there alot of matienence involved? I found this deal: 2001 YAMAHA BANSHEE FAST, FMF pipe and silencers, reeds, Holeshots, graphics. Asking $3700.
It seems to be a good deal to me what do u think? Answers to these questions would be appreciated thanks everyone happy riding

Old 09-01-2002, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

That is a great deal on that quad if it is in good running condition.

As for your other questions...The Banshee is GREAT on the trails believe it or not. It lacks a little bit of low end power that can be annoying at times, but you get used to it and learn how to approach things.

If I had to pick some flaws with the Shee....Like I said, it lacks a little bit of low end power, the powerband is really peaky and it is either off or on like a lightswitch. I can also complain about the suspension...it's just outdated if you are into jumping. If you don't fly much than 5'-6' up you are probably all set, but if you do any MX you won't be happy with it.

Maintanance wise they are great too...No problems with mine. Never even fouled a set of plugs.

Check out my website for some Banshee trail pictures. I ride one and a friend of mine does as well.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 09-01-2002, 11:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check the quad over real well. Thats a screaming deal if the Quads in good shape.

Old 09-01-2002, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

How would you compare the banshee to the raptor, even if both had after market shocks? Would the banshe be up to jumping then?

Old 09-02-2002, 12:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've never ridden a quad with after market shocks so I couldn't say. I don't find the shocks on a 2002 Banshee to be bad. I've a friend that owns a 2002 Banshee and it seems fine to me.

Old 09-02-2002, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

When I bought my Banshee after I had been driving a Polaris Sport for over a year I thought the suspension was awesome.

However, now that I own a 400ex as well I can honestly say that the Banshee suspension feels very dated (cause it is) and very sub par.

I don't think I could call it all out worthless, because it does a good job of not bottoming out, but landing a big jump just plain hurts unless you land it perfectly on a downhill ramp.

I can't compare it to a Raptor because I've never ridden one, but I would have to guess that the Raptor is better just because it's new.

As for aftermarket shocks...Yeah, I'm sure they would help. However, like I said in a previous post, unless you are going over 6' in the air the stockers will do...I can't see putting $1500 worth of suspension under it unless you are racing MX.

-Josh

Old 09-03-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I love my banshees. My playbike with pro-circuit pipes ran away from a piped raptor a couple of nights ago. It has works shocks all the way around it. They greatly help over stock. I ride trails, hills, roads, sand, etc. I ride with 400exs and they can't leave me on trails. The funnest part is hitting a long straightaway and passing them. That sounds like a good price.

Old 09-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I Ride my brother inlaws 01 banshee all the time seems fine to me heh

Old 09-03-2002, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure the Banshee shocks are any worse than any other machine out there. I have ridden enough other machines (Z400, 400ex, Raptor, DS650) and for jut play riding they all seem fine to me. If you REALLY want to jump than EVERY machine is going to need suspension upgrades anyway. I happen to like the lower seeting position of the Banshee the best of all of them but of course that's what I'm used to. Except the 400ex I feel the others feel a little tall and narrow for me. Just my personal opinion there.

As far as a Banshee for trails & mud I would have to say it depends. As long as you're moving and have airflow throught the radiator you'll be fine. If you're rock crawling or stuck in the mud you are going to overheat sooner or later since there is no fan on a Banshee to move air when you're not moving. Don't worry about the Banshee otherwise for trail riding. People go on and on about it having no low end torque. Sure it's no 4 stroke but you can idle around in first and punch it and go instantly. If it is really a concern drop a tooth on the front sprocket to help out or go a little higher compression.

Once you go Banshee you'll never go back.

Old 09-03-2002, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Just wanted to comment on my own posts...

I didn't mean to make it sound like the Banshee had horrible suspension because there are a ton of quads out there that are worse (A Scrambler and a Warrior come to mind right off hand). It's suspension is perfectly fine for trail riding and if that's what you are going to do there is no need to upgrade. Like I said, mine never (or rarely) bottoms out and that means a lot. Even on a jump like this http://snow.prohosting.com/lanphear/videos/JOSH1.WMV where I just land totally wrong the suspension felt fine.

However, comparing it to my 400ex it feels very outdated. It may not be just the suspension...it may be the frame geometry or weight bias as well...I don't know for sure. All I can say is that the 400 absorbs the shock better and even when you case a small jump (where you would normally cringe on a Banshee) the EX lands nice and smooth.

I love my Banshee and I can't think of any quad that I could get that would replace it.

I think it's an awesome trail machine and I would honestly prefer it over the EX any day of the week. I do a lot of slow riding on some of our trails, but haven't had too many overheating problems. I can remember one case where I heard the coolant boiling, but after sitting for 10 minutes it was fine (the quad was still running perfect before that, I didn't know until I shut it off). Also when this overheating problem occured I think it was the first trail ride I took the Banshee on. For those who know me from a while ago on these forums you will remember that I had a Polaris Sport (which is of course and Automatic). I was probably revving the crap out of the Banshee because it had been a while since I had used a manual clutch.

Again, I'm sorry if it made it seem like I was totally dissing the Banshee. All quads have their weak points and their strong points. The Banshee's stock suspension is not it's strong point in my opinion however it is perfectly suitable for trail riding and the occasional mid height flyer.

-Josh

Quick Reply: Banshee Owners and Riders?