Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

electrical starting problems with 2002 warrior!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 08:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of buying this, it is my cousins and he has really beat it! First of let me tell you that he lost the key and he has by-passed the ignition by just slicing the wires together. The batterie is dead so we are jump starting it of a truck. I would pick up a new ignition for like 40 bucks locally but it is a holiday weekend! It is not stolen so please don't accuse. We have tried traceing over all the wires to look for lose connections by removing all the plastic and the tank, they were coated with dirt but we cleaned them and no go! We have had this running with the sliced ignition so we do not think that this is the culprit. the only way we can get the engine to turn over is by bypassing the voltage regulator, this only spins the engine this is under the batterie, but this does not throw spark to the plug. We have also pulled apart the switch looking to see if the contacts were worn but they were not lights work all around This started happening last night but then worked this morning, but now not working again! Plus it is pissing me off I am new to these machines and been researching them straight for 3 days. I have had this thing in pieces from the carb. to the tank please help I plan on sticking around on this forum for sometime! Oh yea I will be taking this back to the place where he did buy it which is two mins. from his house tommarro night after work if no reply helps! Then I will post my results!

Old 09-02-2002, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

ok just tried strating it by using the jumpers directly to the starter while the ground was still attached to the batterie cable! Also this thing looks really cool without all the plastic on it I think I will keep it like this untill I go mudding! LOL

Old 09-02-2002, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

good night everyone! See ya in the morning!

Old 09-03-2002, 12:26 AM
The Facility

<< The batterie is dead so we are jump starting it of a truck. >>

I hope you are just using the power of the truck battery and not actually cranking the truck.

If you have, you will be very lucky if you haven't fried the voltage regulator and/or the stator.

This will make future testing of your firing problem difficult to diagnose without first testing the stator and regulator for possible damage by jumping it off with a truck.

Jumping from automobile batteries is OK if the engine is not running.

I know.....12Volts is 12Volts...but there is a BIG difference between 14Amps and 70+Amps[depending on the vehicle's alternator]

Good Luck

Old 09-03-2002, 08:36 AM
Range Rover

ok I hope we are getting somewhere here, Thing is I thought the voltage regulator would regulate the right power and cut out and power spurg coming through? Anyone else shed some light here!

Old 09-03-2002, 08:36 AM
Range Rover

also the stator would be above the started the small tube shape thing, correct?

Old 09-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Range Rover

I finally figured this one out it was the power button it was curroaded and not giving a good connection! used some sandpaper and all is well
! Put it all back together, and I am only missing one screw and bolt, I will have to pick that up along with the ignition and batterie! I just settled and agreed to pay 2100.00 dollars for this ATV it is a 2002 Yamaha Warrior 350 and in my opinion it is in good shape just needs to be cleaned! Oh yea the trottle is sticking a bit maybe some WD40 will fix that!