Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need info on a wolverine!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok first off my cousins wolf goes 25mph on good days how fast are they supposed to go????

Old 09-04-2002, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

????????????

A Wolv should run middle 50's MPH. Sounds like there is a problem somewhere.....

Old 09-04-2002, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

oh ya thers a problem alright but there getting a new quad so f it. my AC250 4x4 can beet it in power and in speed and everything but noise.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer

Lotus position, are you going to the Iron Man in oct? Mike

Old 09-04-2002, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

What 's the Iron Man? I am not familiar with it.

Suicideride, if your AC 250 beats it, there is REALLY something wrong

Old 09-04-2002, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

My mistake. I seen that you live in New Castle. I didn't notice PA. till I posted it. The Iron Man is a GNCC race that is held in Crawfordsville Indiana. New Castle, Indiana is right next to it. Mike

Old 09-04-2002, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

No problem. If I was nearby, I'd check it out.

Old 09-05-2002, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought my wife a 2003 Wolverine to run around the trails on while my son & I ride our dirt bikes, I have only had it for one week & she complained to me that the engine cuts out at higher RPM's. So I rode it and she wasn't kidding, you start out and when you go to hit the gas it just bogg's out and back fires. It souds like one of the jets fell out inside the bowl of the carb. But I am told by the dealership that sold it to me that I can't do anything to it because if I do it will void the warranty. I need it to go trail riding this weekend and they can't fit me in there busy schedule for another two or three weeks. If you know of any problems like this in the past please let me know.

Old 09-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scoobysnacks,

I just got a 2003 Wolverine last week and I did have two weird experiences where my throttle started to cut out when riding. First time, I thought it was time to swich to reserve but I had half a tank of gas. It seemed to correct itself after I pulled over and started off again. The second time was going up a hill and scared the crap out of me! I got to thinking about the E-brake sensor that limits RPM to 2800 RPM. I read some other posts where guys have had that switch get dirty or jammed and it caused the throttle to cut while accellerating or at cruise in high gear. So I disabled my E-brake sensor switch by disconecting the white 2pin connector under the front fender near the steering colomn. "Not the bullet connectors, they are for the brake light switch". You can trace the wires from the "top" switch on your E-brake perch.

Now the engine revs freely with the E-brake on "which is bad if I foget to release it" but I can't have a machine cut out at the worst time so I'll have to live with it. I'm testing my theory this weekend when I go riding so hopefully I won't have any engine cut outs this time.

If you do this, just please remember to have your wife check her E-brake before she starts off! Would hate to see you cause any damage or overheat your wheeler! But at least you can test this to isolate the problem to the switch. If it still does it after you disconnect the switch, you might have a carb or another electrical problem. But I think we are having the same problem. Must be a bad batch of electrical sensor switches or just a crappy design....

I'm going to mention this to the Yamaha dealer and see if this is a common problem and if there is a fix.

Hope that helps you.

Mike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

He's excactly right. Same problem on all yamaha's.. easy nuff to fix though, I dont even know why they bother to put that crap on since ATV parking brakes only work for a few rides anyhow.

We took my brother in laws wolverine carb out 3 times trailside trying to figure out what was wrong, took it apart, put it back on, took it apart and put it back on.. then this guy comes out of nowhere and pushes the little parking brake lever toward the perch and it cleared right up

Quick Reply: Need info on a wolverine!