Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 big bear problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my dad is considering buying a 2001 Big Bear 400 4x4. does anyone know of any problems that these fourwheelers have? anything we should look out for? also, what year did yamaha start putting 2wd/4wd selectable on these fourwheelers? i appreciate the help.

Old 09-07-2002, 02:16 PM
Range Rover

can anybody help me out on this subject?

Old 09-07-2002, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

the big bear is bullet proof, one of the more reliable machines out there! I do know the 2002 has the push button 4wd option that the 2001 doesn't, meaning the 2001 is always in 4wd.
It's not the fastest machine out there but if your father is like mine speed isn't a concern.

Old 09-08-2002, 12:55 AM
Range Rover

thanks NorthernEdge. anybody else want to share their opinion on the Big Bear with me? i appreciate it.

Old 09-09-2002, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 02 BigBear that I really love.Has the 2x4x4 button. If he can get a 02 with the in and out button, it is much better. Easier to steer,better gas mileage,quicker in 2wd which u will be in most of the time.
Local dealers set up new quads, not the factory. So check everything before u ride it!!! My BB had NO lubricant in the front or rear differentials!!Since this engine is a factory hotroded version of the 350 it must have an oil cooler. The fan is automatic on and off but the controller can go out. I put a manual switch on mine. Always listen for that fan.
There is also a list just for BigBears Yamaha_Big_Bear@yahoogroups.com

Old 09-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

I have a 2003 big bear 4x4 and I would also recommend the 02 because of the 2wd because whenever I have mine in 4wd you can't do anything fun other then not get stuck. I currently have 519 miles on mine and not one single problem. Brought it in to the dealer at about 340 miles just so they won't give me BS about warranty issues later(if they even come up but just in case) My BB only goes about 48 wide open so it def is a torque machine in 1st gear ou prob cant hit 5mph uinless the engine is screaming which is good because of the no high and low range

Old 09-09-2002, 10:36 PM
Range Rover

thanks for the help guys. my dad bought the Big Bear, and it turned out to be a 2002 with selectable 4wd. i've only ridden it around the yard so far, but i like it already.

Old 12-29-2002, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2001 big bear problems?

Hi, have a 2001 bear and I must say it has been running just like it say a "BEAR", I use it for enjoyment and also for working, like hauling stones from the wood on a utility trailor and it has all the muscle I need, I would buy another one with no questions asked, remember I don't beat the crap out of it and maintain good maintenance on it as it call for, best oil and best filters, treat it right and it will be there for you tomorrow. Enjoy.

Offroader51

Old 01-15-2003, 02:19 AM
Niz
Weekend Warrior

Maybe someone out there can help me out. I have 2 Big Bear 400's, both 4wd, and I'm having problems with the chocke cables "freezing" on me. I'm not totally sure if they are freezing or not, or they are just stubborn to come out. I try to open the choke lever all the way and it doesn't let me. Then I get them out and the cable doesn't go back in. It looks as if the cable on one quad is kinked, so I'm going to replace that one. The other cable on the other quad is fine. I have tried spraying WD40 and lithium grease into the choke cable line, but this has not worked. I have a fouled a plug already because the cable gets stuck out. I don't know if the engine warms up and "releases" it? The cable is definitely not working properly. This wasn't a problem until mid-2002. We purchased them in November 2000. I also noticed that the choke cable is enclosed the whole way down to the carb. Both quads have covered and are covered whenever not in use. Any one have any ideas on why this is happening?? This is a huge problem when I need to start the quads and it is very cold out. Then the cable gets stuck out.....What do I do? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Niz,

I had a 2000 Big Bear and I had the same problem you did. Here's what you do. Unscrew the bottom of the choke cable where it screws into the carb. Pull out the plunger or end of the cable if you will. They get gummed up after some riding time. I also found out that water follows the cable down to this point and causes it to become corroded and also freezes. Clean the plunger with a scotch bright pad or something not too abrasive and use it to clean up the plunger bore. Now use some silicone, not too much to lube up the plunger and screw the end of the cable back into the carb. Your cable should work as smooth as silk, good luck.

BB007

Quick Reply: 2001 big bear problems?