Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Weekend Warrior FK 21"SuperLite" and 4 quads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at a lot of these things, and am leaning toward this model. The FK "Front Kitchen" layout gives a lot of room for the quads. I've only seen a 19 FK, and it was 15' from the back door to the cabinets at the stove, not quite enough. I am assuming the FK 21 will give me 17', which would work. The Super Lite is not as wide as the 102" "widebodies", but a 21 FK is 1,400 lbs lighter than a 22' tip-out. I have a Ford F-250 with a V-10 and I want a real easy tow package. I also want to look at the Xtreme by Kit. And I have not yet seen the Rage'n. But they are both heavy.
...The Weekend Warrior Superlites (FK) seem to be the only lightweights in the toybox game....The 19FK, uladen vehicle weight is only 3,800 lbs. 4100 lbs for the 21 FK. That is including hitch weight, not just axle weight. Gotta be careful about that one. Sometimes you think you are getting vehicle weight when you are only looking at axle weight.
My quads are big, DS and Raptor with Durablue axle, a Sportsman and the maxi mini Raptorette. And I can throw a fifth quad in the back of the truck. I had 5 quads out last weekend. I had to make two trips each way.
....I think the lites are the way to go hauling quads, quads don't weigh as much as dune buggies and such and can handle the payload just fine. 3TV's 26ft front sleeper weighs 11,000 lbs loaded, that is just too much for me or my truck.
.....Any thoughts?

Old 09-09-2002, 02:29 AM
Range Rover

I'm debating the same thing. Just can't decide which model to buy.
The 26 foot front bath (FB) model is what I'm leaning towards, but I've seen the front sleeper (FS) model and it sure is nice. The FS also has storage under the bedroom.
If I'm spending 20K plus on a toy hauler, I plan on getting exactly what I want, hopefully not to have second thoughts.

Old 09-09-2002, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Just bought a 26' weekend warrior fri. We love it!!!!

Old 09-10-2002, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

I've got about 3 threads going on this, including the one on the cheapo Carson, with upgraded axles and an extra water tank and basics, for $12,000. But it looks like I can get a loaded FK-21 with a gen set for maybe $16,000, so the Carson isn't looking like that good a deal. I am not going to change trucks, the V-10 is a great 3/4 ton motor, not a one ton motor. Hey, axles are not that expensive, nor are leaf springs, what if I get the FK and just beef it up a little? I like the Tip-out, and my wife would like it, if she would ever come along. I am still confused.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

Fourlix, I had posted in one of the other topics, but thought I would butt in here also.

It is a very confusing subject. My head was spinning from looking at all the different brands and hearing all the bs.

I bought the desert fox for several reasons.

1. I have a local dealer that beat the big city dealers prices.
2. We kept coming back to the fact that we really liked the setup, and it had most everything we wanted.
3. I love the look and the floor plan of our camper.

I was pretty much sold on the ww, but after visiting the dealer and getting the run around and feeling pressured I backed away pretty quick. I also know of some that have had problems with them. Most were minor, but still they are priced above the rest and should have quality there also. I am not slamming them, they are one of the top ones out there, but I think there are others that compete with them now.

My trailer pushes the limits of my truck at least a little bit. I dont think it is over what the limits are, but it is pretty close when fully loaded down. I will most likely be buying a one ton or larger maybe an f450 or so in the future. I wanted to buy a trailer and be done with it and I have been very happy with it. I can say that it does tow better as far as tracking down the road then my freinds less expensive one.

I would say get the size that you feel comfortable with. The carson trailers are not the best. We looked at them and the price is attractive but the quality is very low. The top brands that I liked were the desert fox, the weekend warrior, and the extreme. I would have bought an extreme if they would have dealt on the price, the only thing I did not like was the cable type helper for the rear tailgate.

Well, I have probably just added some to the confusion. I am just trying to help. My wife loves the desert fox, and that is one other reason I bought it. My family goes on most all my riding trips and there is room to get away from each other in the trailer if we feel the need. LOL

Take care and good luck with the search
Bat

Old 09-10-2002, 02:21 PM
Range Rover

Bat, do you have links to desert fox and extreme web site as i did a search for them and came up with nothing. Thanks fellas for doing my "homework" for me, just playin i like reading what other have to say about toyboxes, i honestaly think theses are very canned opions and like reading them, thanxs.

-eddie

Old 09-10-2002, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with bat the ww and the desert fox are both very well built. We choose the ww because of two reasons 1st the dealer gave us a better price and 2nd we needed the front storage in the ww that the desert fox did not have. Good luck!!

Trending Topics

Old 09-10-2002, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

Raptor ryan, that is one of the things I did like on the ww, the under bed storage. The desert fox actually has storage under there, just not accesible from the outside. They did this so you can walk around the bed and dont have to crawl over someone to get out of the bed.

But it is kind of a toss up. They are both great campers. I would not hesitate to buy either one. I love the fox, but if I had a dealer that was local for the warrior I might have gone that route.

Whatever you decide fourlix, you will most likely not be disapointed. One other thing I liked on the warrior was that they came with the 5.5 onan and the desert fox came with the 4.0. I have not had any problems with the 4.0, but bigger is always better. I will eventually upgrade to a larger gen, but it does the trick for now.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. Oh, also it will make it much easier to get the wife to go if you have a nice quiet, dry, clean, air conditioned, etc etc place to stay.

Bat

ps. I will look for the desert fox website when I get a chance. But if I remember correct it is not all that great(the website that is).

Old 09-10-2002, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Giant RV has given me a quote of $17,871 for an FK-21 with Genset, pump station, CD, spare tire, rear stabilizer jacks, and battery. I gave them a crunch list of dimensions to check for me and am awaiting their call.
Right side distance to wheelwell from tailgate, Right side distance to stove cabinet from tail gate, and width between gaucho beds in the upright position. The Baja is almost 7' long with the Armadillo out 'n back rack, it will go between the gauchos, I hope. I need 16'6" in length from the tailgate to the stove cabinet. And the Raptorette next to the Raptor or DS is 92", that is a snug fit for all.
......The Carson was a lot less money, or was it? For $12,500 I can get a Carson with the same options but no generator or pump station. Their prices for these options are much higher than Warrior. SO for $5,000 more I am getting the genset and pumpstation and Warrior quality, Giant/Warrior only wants $2375 for the genset with $540 for the pump station, that is almost Northern tool prices. So that means the Warrior FK is only $2,000 more than the Carson. Looks promising......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2002, 08:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Al sold us ours. They kill the local competition on price. I have four other riding buds that bought theirs through Giant RV.

Make sure you get the electric jack and the load leveling hitch.

The electric jack is one of the nicest things. I know it is more money but, your wife can raise the trailer up as you back up the truck. Makes life much easier.

Quick Reply: Weekend Warrior FK 21"SuperLite" and 4 quads?