Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How do you drive on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey jakal, while you're at it start drinkin' heavily!!

Old 09-17-2002, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Did you notice the part where i said i make sure noone else is on the road? its a straight shot and you can see for a mile. Also i dont drive bad around any people, cars, trees, houses, etc.... How many 18 year olds do you know what live up to that part? well I do. 3 years driving an no wrecks yet.... Also you cant tell me when your bored as heck, noone else is on the road.... no trees around just a field and not even a ditch.... you wouldnt play around. God, you do the same crap (no trees, no people, no ditch, no cars) on your fourwheeler every time you ride it, just my vehicle has something close to a roll cage and an air bag, and a seat belt and you call me crazey? hipocrit..... Im not talking about driving through traffic, swerving around cars and sliding around corners.... If youve never been on an abonded country road with nothing for miles and some nice corners with an unobscured view then your missing alot. Heck, i could probably hit that s turn im talking about at close to 70 before my tires would even squeel.

Old 09-17-2002, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

hmmm I think you said "s" turn on the way to school." Don't be stupid and drive like a retard. If you are going 60mph in a 15mph you are going to kill someone, hopefully that someone is yourself and nobody else. How can you tell if anyone is on the road or not on an "S" turn?

Old 09-17-2002, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

well,
I reckon I did'nt see that part that it was a straight shot, mile long, the original post was how fast I can get through a chicane or reverse curve,(and brag about it) no people or houses on the road, what about deer..reckon there is no wildlife in your area?..3 years of driving..well lets see now..I have about 26 years..as far as the "no wrecks yet"..that can change anytime, I know it can for me, becuase 80% of the time there is somoneor something else out there & conditions that you can't control..yeqah, I drove in the mountains, crossed the centerline in curves, run as fast as I can in places about 23 years ago..had dirt bikes & was NUTS on them..

as far as the bored, no trees, no people, cars over 1 mile straight, fenced right of way, no driveways,
yes there are a few places down here like that..I run them twice, then do a "testing" run to check out performance mods..maybe if I was into chassis modifications something else..but that would require a friend with radios to be sure..

but like I said before there is a place for that..

and as far as the quad goes..not really...I use it for work..so 94% of the time it is loaded with equipment, & I'm not real hip on slinging it around..but the other times, I take the stuff off it, grab a helmet, riding gear, & trailer it to a appropriate place to ride.. & then I see what it will do....nothing wrong with that...

by the way I never said you were crazey..you put that in yourself..

so just a question to you..

would you like to see someone in a surburban or a truck & trailer going 60 through a reverse curve when you were diong it in your ranger?.. (or a deer come out of the woods?)..I have the cajonies still, but always ask myself what is there to be gained.....105 in 3rd gear on a bike is running pretty well, I think..(but UNDER CONTROLLED CONDITIONS, so yes I still like to play)

just trying to let you know that a lot of the times there are other factors to consider than just you..ride the bike & you'll see what I mean..tell me when you have 30,000 miles on it...

hypocrit..maybe..
what do you REALLY want me to say?

oh that's marvelous! maybe you can get a 302 & put it in the ranger along with a C4 or the 5 speed out of a mustang, put a 9" rear in it..then try for 80..oh I'm Soo proud of you, Nascar watch out, this guy is really safe, he has 3 yrars of experience, and no fear..gee that is just what the racing world is looking for..get him a sponsorship in the crafstman truck series.. well I'm really relieved that you are a safe driver.....keep up the good work...

.in the woods in hunting season, when the big old bucks hear a hunter..they send the spikes out first, then double back around the other way..needless to say that may be why when you bag one you have done something..

do the full race thing on the RD or the Quad.. then when you get cocky you'll have a lesson...the bike will teach you that...a profound physics lesson...
the RD will run a lot stronger than the ranger will...they will wheelie at 80-90 mph...if built it is a lot more impressive..

Old 09-17-2002, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

What i mean by straight shot is you can see whos coming, ie.. no trees on either side. As for the bike, ive never even mased the gas all the way down and Im always scared id find some gravel or something in a corner so i pretty much drive it like a grandma. I dont speed, do 5 over, speedo is off by three, so that means im doing 2 miles an hour over... And yes, last time i went through that corner there was a suburban coming the other direction so i went about 40 through it. 15 miles per hour is for if your a loaded down desiel truck, el piece o crapo truck in front of me made some distance on me through that corner. Once again im not talking about getting crazy here, im talking about driving on the light side of sporty, lol, i thought my parents were bad, but my mom goes through the corner at about 40. You guys are thinking im like flying through it, lol. Ill put it this way, i some times i drive for a little bit of fun but when im deciding where my limits are i can pretend theres a cop behind me and one infront of me, what would they stop me for? then do to it. You can have fun without being dangerous or illegal. Thats what sports cars and good tires are made for. Neither of which do i have so i dont have very much fun. I sort of worded my first post wrong because i was thinking every else would have already "outdone" me by so much i didnt want to sound like a wuss. My idea of how fast can i take is involves how fast can i take it while putting the least amount of stress on my vehicle and being safe, more or less practicing my arc and stuff so that i can take the corner with ease at a relative speed. Just so you know.. im smart enough to not kill my self, for your benefit if i ever do get hit on the head with a tack hammer and get real crazy ill make sure noones aroung so it will only be me and the concrete. I understand where your coming from about the bike, but people scare me enough in my truck, the big suvs treat me like im not there, i dont even want to be around them on my bike, i just cruise on it on weekends out to friends houses and stuff.

Old 09-17-2002, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

the only places that are close to the "suggested speed" are the curves in the mountains
other places are low, I'll give you that.. , but I think the post said 60 (or close to it...)

now the bike...it is a great scooter..but the reason to be careful, (do not read as ride like grandma..but instead read like be totally aware of all conditions) is that there is only about 3-4 inches of rubber between you and the hospital..not saying that it is not fun, I enjoy mine immensly, I scrape the pegs, & like to hear it run..but once again there are times & places for that..if you ride the bike you will be amazed at what it can do..but you need to be more aware of what others are doing , as well as gravel, sand, etc..driveways, dogs, animals, etc..and things around you..the 2 stroke twins pump out a lot of power..& have a great top end..there is a lot of things to be learned by riding a bike..& those transfer over into driving a car..so I've been both places, bikes and cars..bikes are cheaper & perform better than cars, but are smaller, and less visible..so diffrent riding tecqniques need to be used to know how to handle gravel, sand, stopping in a curve, & emergency situations..once you get the feel of going through a corner at spped on a bike there is nothing like it..

you can probally have some of the same adrenaline rush on a quad..but I haven't..once again I look at mine as a tool for work..

like I said it is all about doing things in the proper place..you are probally more safe going through the curve on the RD than in the ranger.. it handles a lot better..
ride a good running quad, (remember..I have probally a diffrent definition of good running than most by that I mean one that would run about 65 top end, & be light enough to flick around a little, one that you need to use body english to ride correctly & fast & pull, wheelie well..) in a safe place..that may fit the bill for you, yes I believe that in proper places one can be safe and fast
the way I look at it..for a 18 yr old to have a truck, bike and quad..that is more than most.more than I had..
use the toys as toys....not the truck.., someones mother or father or son or daughter may be out there...

Old 09-17-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

This is in no way intended to tell you what to do...I think everyone else handled that earlier.

Anyway, I was just wondering why there would be S-curves and a 15mph zone in a place that had no trees, houses, ditches, etc. etc. .

-Josh

Old 09-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

GOOD QUESTION PIRANHA!

Old 09-17-2002, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer

I was wondering the same thing...

Old 09-17-2002, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

I dunno but im dead tired, ill either get a video camera or leave it alone but it has to do with the road bending around uneven property lines. I shouldnt be scoffing at the guy with the race bike, he was just trying to tell me not to get myself hurt which is commendable. I just got really ticked cause everyones site i goto has videos and pictures of them doing suicidal things sitting on top of a motor with wheels. And everyone instantly assumed i was endangering other people even though stated before hand noone is on the road. If i get bored enough maybe ill take a video camera and show some of my areas messed up roads that are kinda fun. I think the main misconception here was my defintion of an s turn. My conception of an S turn is completely diferent from a racers conception. What i call an S turn you would probably call a squiggle, anyways, im leavin it alone since noone else in here thinks you can drive responsibly while having a touch of fun. Guess i know why the chevrolet F body is dead.

Quick Reply: How do you drive on the road?