Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How do you drive on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record...I never said anything about what you did. I was just asking why there would be a 15mph S turn in the middle of an open area.

As long as the stupid things you do can only hurt you, I don't see a problem with it. I do a lot of stupid things as well, but I try to make sure that there is no way of hurting other people.

-Josh

Old 09-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Range Rover

what yall need to learn is that most people dont live in subdivions, and our backyards are not 10feet by 10 feet. me and jackel , we live in the country. Hell, I bet that even my backyard is bigger than your neighboorhood! The most someone could kill where we live is a rabbit on the street, and even if you did kill yourself, look what you did...(something you wanted to do that you loved!) and any thing you do that is dangerous thats brings fun (riding your quad.) has its prices, its just people like me and jackel are willing to risk it for the thrill.

btw me and jackel are friends in real life...

Old 09-17-2002, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

All I can come up with is "D@mn that's nuts"

Slow down< lifes way too short!!!

Old 09-17-2002, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

MMMMMmm... spend my life being another meaningless brick in the wall to marry, reproduces, then spends years in misery only to die a bored old man. Sounds like fun to me. If I were to die now id have already did more with my life than 75% of americans who are happy with a sedate meaningless life. Although mine has no meaning either atleast I didn't spend it being bored because I was scared of ending it. Whats the use of living if you dont live. Anyway im done with this, when your 60 years old and trying to figure out what kind of stories your gonna tell in heaven and the best you have is "I got married, reproduced, then retired". Anyways, im not one to force my logic on somone else so have fun doing what you consider fun. Heck, I dunno maybe other people enjoy the mundane. Just maybe next time you see a race driver die in a wreck and say, woo what a waste, youll have some idea of what he thought of you. I kinda figured more of the people in here would have my same logic, maybe their not speaking up. Maybe ill change if i ever get married who knows. No, neither I nor bandit are suicidal. Heck i proabably wouldnt even sky dive, i dont like the odds, but some of us like to have a little fun with life. Personally i think hunting with the rednecks around here is a lot more dangerous than anything ive ever done, last time i went hunting i heard atleast 4 bullets whiz past my head. I asked what the heck are you doing, if your gonna shoot at me tell me so i can shoot back and have a chance. Their reply was, guns are made for killin, besides it was no where near you. Havent been back yet, ill stick to paintball.

Old 09-18-2002, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

I'm 33, still single, went through HALO [High Altitude, Low Opening] ski diving school, raced snowmobiles, cars [in Europe and the U.S.], trucks, motorcycles, down hill mountain bike, R/C cars, road bikes, and a few other things not coming to mind right now. No one that knows my history thinks I am some sedate old man. I'm not saying don't drive fast, I'm saying, take it to a track. You'll have more fun, be safer, and go faster,

Old 09-18-2002, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Workin on it, keep hearing about people dying at my local mx track so no way in heck im going out there. As for my on road vehicle, if i raced, id have to push it hard and I dont have the money to keep it running like that. My best option would be the RD like the other guy said but fun as it may be, and as much as i love fun, that little voice in the back of my head just wont let me go fast or drive it hard. My plan is suck college dry so when i graduate ill have enough funds to play around and actually do all the things i want to. Until then i play around off road with the warrior, drive like a normal person on the road, hard as it may be to do. Taking a corner with the line that loses the least amount of energy still puts a smile on my face though. Cough... Cough... bandit drives like crap, lol. Hes a little more extreme than me, hes been in the ditch a few times.. Never seen him wreck my fourwheeler though, probably because he knows if he does ill bug him about it forever. Hes definatley not driving the RD though, dont trust him to come back in one piece.

Old 09-18-2002, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Jakal~
Being just 18, there is no way you've experienced more than 75% of others. There are many things that you just couldn't have experienced at that age. Going through college, getting married, and having kids will give you some real experience with life. What is sedate and meaningless to you is a very happy lifestyle to others. Everybody is not a redneck like you. And if you plan to "suck college dry" so you can have fun afterwards, plan on your next 4 years to be boring ones. You can't just sail through college like you can in high school. Expect to put in more time and effort if you want to have decent grades. You have not experienced much in your life simply because of your age. I remember being 18, and I thought I knew everything. Even 3 years later, I'm much more aware of the reality of things. I'm glad you're enjoying your life, but you can't live on the edge forever. Accidents happen in a split second; you can't anticipate them. Like somebody said earlier, I hope you tell your parents you love them everyday. The hardest part of a police officer's job is knocking on your parents door with that bad news. Keep it cool, have some fun, but live responsibly

Old 09-18-2002, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Easy guys...I don't think the kid said he was on the verge of getting himself killed did he?

He's talking about going around a corner fast in a Ford Ranger pickup truck. He didn't exactly say that he was out of control or anything like that (that I am aware of).

Now I've been thinking of how the heck he could have S-turns, and a 15mph zone, with no buildings or ditches or anything else around, but I have not been able to come up with anything.

However, there are a couple sections near my parents house which are fairly close to his descriptions...the difference is, in this case the reason why the road bends the way it does is because of a river.

The way the land is made up you actually have a clear view of the road and the turns, and there are absolutely no houses around.

I must admit that this corner is very tempting to push the limits around, and I have done it many times.

Does that mean I have come close to death on it??? No.

It sounds to me like Jackal has a similar situation (though I still cannot figure out how come there are 15mph S-turns with no obstacles near them, but anyway).

Anybody on here who says they have never pushed the limits in their vehicles (off road or on road) is full of it. You can get hurt on a track as easily as you can in a situation like this. In fact, when you are on a track you are more likely to go into a corner hotter and make a mistake because you ARE trying to go AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.

Don't get me wrong...all of the advice you guys have given, and life lessons you list to be learned are great, and I agree completely. I just don't think what he is doing is as serious as it is being made out to be.

Just my thoughts.

-Josh

Old 09-18-2002, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Your right, on a track you are more likely to push harder and possibly crash. The difference is, no oncoming traffic, clear pavement conditions, medical staff on hand, and the glory of doing it in front of the crowd[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. I went down at 140MPH coming out of turn two at Willow Springs. Destroyed the bike, but I walked away with a small scratch on my shoulder [that's it]. I can't imagine any turn on the road that I could crash at 140MPH on and walk away.

Old 09-18-2002, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

You're right...I don't know too many people that have gone down at 140mph on the highway and lived to tell about it (any actually).

However, according to Jackal, he does indeed have a clear view of the corners, thus being able to see/avoid oncoming traffic...that problem eliminated.

Also, he said that he is going around them at 60mph. At that speed I would think that he has a pretty good chance of surviving a crash if one occured.

I agree with your 100% though...This stuff is meant for the track. For all of the reasons you listed, and especially the crowd part. This weekend I was lucky enough to perform in a stunt show (on my 400ex) in the city that I live it. 1200+ people showed up for the event (which is more people than the population of most towns around here). Let me say it was the biggest rush/thrill of my life. This took place on Saturday and I still can't stop thinking about how fun it was.

Unfortunatly, not everyone has the oppertunity to ride/drive on a track or even perform in front of people. The closest race track to me is like 3 hours away. And not even that, but I don't have the cash to be able to go out on it, and that is the case with about anybody else I know.

Regardless of my need for speed...I would never put other people at risk because if it.

-Josh

Quick Reply: How do you drive on the road?