Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'01 Raptor in pieces, I need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I just bought a '01 Raptor that was in the process of being put together when the guy who owned it got in an accident, then got an IV infection and died. He was only in his 40's too. I bought the bike for a steal and am almost done putting it back together. The service manual is ordered, but in the mean time, when I connect the battery to the cables it sparks and if I hold the cables together long enough the starter turns over. I've inspected everything the best I can, and I've found the near the handlebars, where that cluster of cables and connectors are, there is a two-wire connector with nothing connected to it. The headlights and everything are hooked up so it's not that. This connector is white with a black wire and a green with yellow stripe wire going into it. I have no idea what it goes to since everything looks like it's together.

Also, the positive cable from the battery goes directly to the starter, and then there is a little black wire coming from that cable (starting at the starter) that goes to the front or maybe the CDI box in the back. The positive cable going directly to the starter would make sense for the motor turning over when I hook up the battery, since that would mean that there is a open circuit. Wouldn't it make more sense for the positive cable to go through a switch before going to the starter, or is this what that two-wire connector is for up front???

I don't have a clue to what is going on since this is my first quad with a battery and complex wiring. If you guys could help me with some ideas or if you have some wiring diagrams scanned from a manual that would really help.

Thanks a bunch.
superkev

Old 09-22-2002, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

I think you might be missing some parts. First you should have a short cable going from the + side of the bat. to a starter relay (behind the bat.) then a cable to the starter( a stud on top of the starter under the carbs). There should be no black wire attached to this cable. I believe the two wires you are talking about in the front(and if I am wrong somebody please correct me) green/yellow and black should go to a matching plug from your clutch perch, for the parking brake. And if I remember right these can be left unplugged. Hope this helps you.

Old 09-22-2002, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, the parking brake thing makes sense, since he removed it. I see that on the back of the starter relay there are 2 bolts. Above each bolt there is a letter, a B and a M. Does the battery wire go to the B bolt and the starter wire go to the M bolt, or is it the opposite? Also, does the wire/cable that goes to the starter have a small wire coming out of it about 3-4 inches before the starter, going into that big collection of wires, or is it just a straight cable with no extra wires going to the starter? The reason I'm asking this is because I have two black cables, one looks like it goes on the battery and the other looks like it goes to the relay, but the one that looks like it connects to the negative batt. terminal (no rubber boot on the end to protect it) has a little wire coming out of it near the other end, and so I'm wondering if this one connects to the starter, follow me? Thanks for your help.

Old 09-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

O-kay sounds like you are missing a bat. cable. You should have a short red cable that goes from the + bat. post to the "b" side of the starter relay, then the black cable minus the little black wire should go from "m" on the relay to the top of the starter. The other black cable with the black wire goes to ground on the bat. and to a bolt on the left side of the engine about two inches above the countershaft sprocket on the engine. Yes if he changed clutch perch you would be missing the oppposite plug to plug into.

Old 09-22-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Actually I have the red cable, and I meant the two black cables, one negative and the other positive. Anyways I wired it the way you said and it works. No sparks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Hopefully I'll have it all together tonight.

Thanks!