Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sand Drag racing help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 12:05 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everytime I go to the dunes and drag race I lose races because the front wheels wont stay on the ground to get a good launch why?
I have paddle tires and I lean forward on my handle bar putting all my weight on the ft wheels at launch and it will either wheelie's or throw me off the back. I start in first gear because it just falls on it face it second gear! I dont want a extended swingarm because I like to jump and trail ride! there so much i want to do to my quad like porting and coolhead but if the front wheels wont stay now, it will only make thing worse with more mods wait do i do?
Thanks

Old 09-24-2002, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

Im not an expert but did you try to use struts instead of shocks for the front? or do you sand guys "strap" the front end like you can to a sport bikes front forks when they drag? just suggestions Im sure others wil;; have better ideas

Old 09-24-2002, 12:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Unless your one big dude you should be able to do second gear starts.it sounds like you've got the right idea but your working the throttle on take off. You can't do this. You rpm it up and let it go you start on the tank and work your way back on the seat as you need traction. I have seen guy's on stock banshees do some real damage just from being good riders.good luck and also as mentioned struts are a good racers aid.and also good suspension helps too!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2002, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

I use a lowering block in the rear. I lower mine just one inch in the back and it makes a pretty big difference. It still handles good, but it will make your rear shock seem weak. So, when I want to go ride hard, I raise it back up and everything is fine. 5 minutes to change.

Daren

Old 09-24-2002, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

what kind of paddles do you use?

anyways with my banshee, in the sand I can do 2nd gear launches with ease.. 3rd gear even, if my bike is wearing knobbies. maybe you need more practice?

mike

Old 09-24-2002, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

i cant pull 2nd gear off the line even with a 45 rear sproket but i just lean over the handlebars and dump the clutch wound out and hang on and like he said just slowly move back and struts help if it is smooth enough to run them witch most places arent

Old 09-24-2002, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

I would look into sone non soild state front stuts! You can get some Tim Shaws for around $300.00. this will make a world of difference! I would also try backing off your paddle count on your tires that why you can break them loose a little.

Truly the best way to keep the front tires down is to extend your swingarm! You would be suprised what just a 2 or 3" extension will do and that small of an extension would not affect your trail riding or jumping by any great margins.

Old 09-25-2002, 01:02 AM
Range Rover

Im not that big about 200 lbs, I have sand skate 2 paddles!
I dont see how changing the ft shocks to struts wood help explain?
I was thinking it was my gearing was wrong i have the stock spockets on it now, and maybe a smaller tooth ft spocket would help, or I was dumping the clutch with to high of rpm's, or maybe pull the clutch in a little when the ft wheels start to come up. But the couple of times when I got it right I won some races except for the monster quads!
Thank's keep the info coming please.

Old 09-25-2002, 01:36 AM
Range Rover

If you are sand dragging at a track, where that is all you are doing. Get some square tubing( thick wall aluminum on mine) about the size of the gap where your shocks mount. Replace the front shocks with the tubing(hard barred). I dropped my front end about 2". This will make the bike pick up the front wheels, instead of picking up the slop in your springs. that way the weight does not transfer and the wheels spin.
Also it helps to throw your body foreward a bit as your letting out the clutch. This takes some practice, but it helps in any situation even with front shocks on at the dunes.
And if that dont work. If your gonna end up on your butt you might as well do it in front of 500 people so they can enjoy too!