Old 09-25-2002, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is anyone making these aftermarket?
if so is anybody running one?

Old 09-25-2002, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

The only CDI box that I know of being made for the Raptor is from Dyna.

I asked them about a month ago when they might be available and was told a couple more months.

From what I understand, it has adj rev limit (up to 500 more rpm's), adj shift light (pick the rpm it comes on), plug in for a "real time" tach and comes standard with 5 preset ignition curves that can also be customized by the user if you purchase the software allowing you to do so. Iheard costs ranging from $250-$300. I know Trinity has been working with one and might be able to shed more light on this subject then myself.

Oh, and my brotheren Velocity has one also![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

from what i have heard the raptor doesn't have a rev limiter. it just starts floating values at high RPMS. you will have to stiffen up values springs to get higher RPMS.(this is just what i have heard, MAY NOT BE TRUE)

Old 09-25-2002, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Mike- It has been my experience that a stock or even piped Rap will not and cannot hit the limiter in 5th gear. The stock limit is set at, I believe 9000-9200 rpm's, which is way outside of where any of the Raps I have seen make power. Your typical internal modified (hc piston, bore, cam, head work etc.) doesn't make any more power after 6800-7500 r's.

I only know of 1 individual personally, that has a built Rap making power over 8000 R's, but that's not to say there aren't others out there accomplishing that. Most Rap riders are not looking to make power that high in the rpm range, so? At the point of making power in the upper range of 8(k), there is a definite trade-off with bottom for top.

Regarding the valve springs, you are correct. The stock springs on a stock Rap "could" experience valve float. They do not provide enough pressure for the stock cam, much less a bigger cam. I know that both Web and Hotcam say you can get away with stock springs on the 696 Web and Stage1 Hotcam, but personally I would not feel comfortable doing so. That's my opinion and I know there are many in this forum that will disagree with that statement.

Old 09-25-2002, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

the company that makes the 770 powroll(or whatever) is the one that said that they don't have a rev limiter. i have not personally touch a raptor motor so i wouldn't know. the stock raptor springs have 30lbs. of seat pressure. not much.

my DS peakes power after 9000rpms with no power loss in the bottom end. actually it has ALOT more power low than a stage 2 motor. i would think a raptor could be made to run like a DS. i will try to get a dyno run of the DS scaned so you can see it. my bike still makes over 50HP at 10,500RPMS. i will probably have a raptor project and i will try to get #'s like this out of it. don't see why you can't.

Old 09-25-2002, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Trinity uses the dyna ignition for the banshee. If you haven't read my post on the Dyna I put on my banshee, you might check it out. THIS IGNITION IS AWESOME. Either tonight or tommorow I will try to finish lining it out. I think all I need is to drop the needle slightly.

I have heard great things about the GYT-R banshee ignition. I am sure the raptor is as good.

Old 09-25-2002, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

DsMike, there is a rev limit on the Rap.

Regarding your idea to build a Rap that makes power over and above 7500 R's, one HUGE caution. REPLACE THE STOCK ROD!!!! Trust me on this, I know from personal experience and I have a few buds that have had them fail with minimal mods as well. Needles to say, throwing a rod at 6-8(k) is not a pretty or welcome site!

Another thing I would like to point out, as of today, there is not a cam being made by any of the named cam mfg's that is going to produce power in a Rap over 8000 r's. Webs biggest available to the public atleast is the #737 and Hotcams Stage2. The people making powr over the above mentioned areas are using a custom ground cam. If that's your plans, great, but just thought I would point that out to you.

Let us know when you get there!

Old 09-26-2002, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

swytak do you have the specs for the 737 cam?i went to the webcams web site but they did not list it.

Old 09-26-2002, 04:17 AM
Range Rover
Old 09-27-2002, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

<< swytak do you have the specs for the 737 cam?i went to the webcams web site but they did not list it. >>

Derby, let me do some looking around here. I know I have both the specs on the Web-737 cam and the Hotcam stage2 cam as well.

If somebody else has them, feel free to post them so I am not looking through my filing cabinet for nothing.

Quick Reply: raptor cdi boxes?