Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Weird warrior problem....i need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi just bought a '89 warrior and i have a problem with my starter spinning backward...what could be the problem ??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2002, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider

can you describe it a little better? how do you know it's spinning backward? write all the info you know

Patrick

Old 09-30-2002, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

ok...first,when i bought the quad the guy jump started it with a car batterie (the relay and betterie were dead) putting the positive on the frame and the ground on the starter...it worked but i heard a mettallic sound when the starter was turning...he said it's normal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

After changing the relay and charging the batterie the electric starter worked but the engine wasn't turning. I removed the engine cover and i saw the starter spinning backward.

If you have the starter in your hand and the gear infront/close to you, in witch way it suppose to turn???

Old 09-30-2002, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, you should have slapped that guy for jumping it backwards,the ground should have gone on the frame,and touch the wire terminal on the starter with the positive. He caused it to spin backwards,and may have fried the starter system. If I remember correctly,the electrical system puts out AC voltage,and your regulator changes it to DC for charging your battery and running lights. By putting the positive on the frame,he could have damaged diodes in the regulator,and blew half of it out. Diodes are like little one-way valves for electricity,by taking some of them out,it may have actually reversed the output of the regulator,which would not hurt lights,but would send reversed polarity to the starter,making it spin backwards. Try taking the wire off the starter,take a separate battery,put + to terminal,and touch - to the starter case. If it spins correctly,the starter is ok,and you may have a blown regulator. If it goes in reverse,the starter may have been damaged by the backwards jump start. I am not saying I am completely right on the exact way the regulator is set up,but that is how most systems turn AC into DC. Hope this is some help.