Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

BANSHEE -- RAPTOR QEUSTION

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 06:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock vs stock, as many have said before me, the rap wins. in my experience, a stock 660 will also beat out many shees with pipes and jets. most of this knowledge comes from my local sand hill. its probably about 400 ft or longer. raptor hits third and banshees hit fourth and usually fifth. regardless of the tires, paddles or no, the rap seems to edge out most of the shees with those mods.

Old 10-03-2002, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are u saying a stock raptor will beat a piped shee in a drag with same tires?

Old 10-03-2002, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

i seriously doubt a stock raptor beating a piped banshee...........From what i can see i think im moving up to a banshee as my next machine....all it really needs is suspension and tires......the raptor is harder to get to handle good and low,and besides engine work cost more!

Old 10-03-2002, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

i would have to aggee with peltrax 2-stokes rule

Old 10-03-2002, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Stock for Stock the race could go either way because remember the shee has alot of wheel spin on take off and the raptor might wheelie to bad so it just depends on the start.
L8r-Josh

Old 10-03-2002, 11:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<< are u saying a stock raptor will beat a piped shee in a drag with same tires? >>

<< i seriously doubt a stock raptor beating a piped banshee...........From what i can see i think im moving up to a banshee as my next machine....all it really needs is suspension and tires......the raptor is harder to get to handle good and low,and besides engine work cost more! >>

as i pointed out in my post, they personal results i listed were at my local hill climb. the results are authentic and hold up with different riders on each machine. i am not trying to brag, because i know that no matter how fast you are, someone is always faster. just telling you what ive experienced.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:11 AM
Mar
Pro Rider

If you guys want power get a DS650. It will take of from a banshee in a race like a topfuel dragster. It seriously isnt a race. Not only that but in tight trails with rocks and ruts the ds just goes faster when as the banshee feels like it will slide of the trail in every corner.

One thing i love about my 2003 banshee is the powerband though. You hit every gear and theres a roost and the feeling and sound is awsome. It feels stronger then my 96 but maybe becasue its new. I honestly though at first that the banshee was the fastest, but it just feels that way. Honestly in a drag the Baja will KILL IT, Its a horrible beating. In a 200 yard race the baja will beat it by 75 to 100 yards. NO Joke. This is both stock. However my banshee could beat my raptor in top end but would loose in a drag.

Now I would like to get my banshee faster then my baja and im hoping that all i need is a pipe. But the diffrence between the two is huge and i dont see how just a pipe can make up for the diffrence. Maybe im wrong.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

mar,
im curious as to how you run with raps. ive only been around a few at the hill, and rarely get the chance to race one. actually, only twice. im 1 and 1. beat a ds with paddles, lost to a baja with paddles and a full pipe. my cousin has raced many but due the fact that he has limited experience on his dads rap he loses often.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<< Honestly in a drag the Baja will KILL IT, Its a horrible beating. In a 200 yard race the baja will beat it by 75 to 100 yards. NO Joke >>

Ok, I dont know what kind of surface your riding on, but there is NO WAY IN HELL a DS is beating a banshee by 75 - 100 yds in a 200 yard race. And that is no joke. ry racing on sand or pavement, or getting someone that knows how to ride..

And dont feel bad guys, those of you who have regreted your Raptor buy, A good friend, although he wont admit it, bought a banshee.. Right Mike???

RoostKing...

Old 10-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Mar
Pro Rider

No word of a lie I swear to God that the baja just takes of on hard pack. Traction was not the issue, HP was. And belive me I drove the banshee and I know how to drive one Really good. The baja was drivin by someone with less experiance but it is just easier to drive. The Baja feels slow when your riding it but its not. Not only that but when you come of the baja and drive the banshee the shee feels slow. Thats just the way it is, SORRY..

As for the raptor and banshee the Raptor has amazing holeshot. IT will take the banshee for a good chunk of the race and even leap out with a race against the baja but the shee will catch up and pass it for top end and the baja will just run it down in first and second gear. In a 200 yard race the Raptor might win but it would be close but both will lose to a DS. This is flat pavement racing not sand or dunes.

On another note i had to sell my raptor becasue it was problem after problem. I really dont care for the 660 engine. My Father is having problems with his 660 gris and a few buddies of mine are also experiancing problems on the raptor. The number 1 problem so far is the tranny and engine. I also lost reverse twice. I had to go i was fed up.

But the Raptor was my least favorite to ride. It loved to wheelie and catwalk. Was imposible to clime over logs and stuff from a stand still becasue it would just flip backwards. Only thing good is reverse but i found that i never really needed it.

The DS is the safest bike to ride. I have no problems letting inexperianced riders learn on it because the power is so smooth and ride is so stable. It never suprizes you and it handles amazing.

One thing not mentioned about the banshee is its poor ability to stop. When you hit the breaks it just slides. It can be very dangerous. I dont know why that is, maybe the tires.

In all honesty if any of you love sledding get a baja becasue it feels just like a sled when running thru the twisties. The banshee feels like a dirt bike and the Raptor feels like a 86 camaro. All bikes are good, its just what your looking for in them that makes one better then the other.

Quick Reply: BANSHEE -- RAPTOR QEUSTION