Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What oil are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 02:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, I recently bought a 2003 Kodiak. It has an automatic transmission and is liquid cooled. Is there still a reason to use yamalube or some other motorcycle oil or can I just run Mobil 1 15w50. My manual say's to either run Yamalube or a comparible SAE type oil. It also say's to stay away from higher quality oils and oil's labled energy conserving. I know to stay away from the "energy conserving" labled oils but what do they mean by higher quality? Would Mobil1 15w50 or Castrol Syntech 10w40 be considered higher quality or do they mean oils like slick50 and duralube? Any ideas? I have ran Mobil 1 in the past on my quads without any problems.

Old 10-04-2002, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

Speaking just for me, I'd run what ever oil you feel good about. I would stay away from the oils that have friction modifiers in them. They say they will make your clutch slip. I personally have no proof of this, nor have I experienced it. But that doesn't mean it's not true.

Also Yamaha doesn't own a refinery that I am aware of, so the Yamalube is bid out to who ever that year or quarter. So for all we know Mobil is making it and putting it in a Yamalube bottle as we speak. But if your going to run synthetic oil in your new machine I would wait untill after the 3rd or 4th oil change running dino oil through it first.

So if you think I'm full of poop, flame away boys. i've got thick skin.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen the effects of running standard auto oils in atvs. I have seen many clutch problems associated with this. Personally, I would spend the extra couple of dollars for the yamalube. You probably only change your oil 2-3 times a year anyway. This way you know you have the right stuff and don't have to guess.

Old 10-04-2002, 07:50 PM
Range Rover

I know we always hear that auto oil could cause your clutch to slip, and that may or may not be the case in atv's with your typical clutch, but what about automatic's like my Kodiak?

Old 10-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default What oil are you using?

Sorry, I forgot it was an auto. I am not familar with the yamaha ultramatic transmission. Do you know if it is belt driven? Is your transmission oil seperate from your engine oil?

Old 10-09-2002, 12:46 PM
Range Rover

Yep, it is belt driven, same transmission as the Grizzly (ultramatic/v-belt transmission). There is no wet clutch, so I would assume I could pretty much go with just about any oil I wanted to, couldn't I? The only (supposed) reason not to use auto oil, that I know of, is because of the clutch.

Old 10-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you should be able to run auto oil then. Just make sure you keep it changed. ATV's are usually neglected and oil isn't changed as often as it should be. This caused many problems in late 80's early 90's where the cams would wear into the head.