Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I just got a Raptor. Is it slow or is it just me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just got a Raptor. Is it slow or is it just me.

Ok I just traded my 02 Grizzly for an 02 Raptor Limited Edition. I thought it would want to rip my arms off. It is all stock except for a twist throttle. It looks BRAND NEW and I hope I can keep it this way. What mods do you all recommend for power increases? I'm thinking the Yoshi full Ti exhaust and a jet kit. I'll be mostly trail riding until I get some new a-arms and extended axle. Drag racing at the local track isn't out of the question either. Thanks!

Old 10-13-2002, 03:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I dont know about the twist throttle but everyone is different. I would definetly put a pipe on it and jet it for starters. Then go from there.

Old 10-13-2002, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure the twist throttle is adjusted right and opening the throttle all the way. Even stock they are pretty fast.

Old 10-13-2002, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

That was the first thing I did. It closes and opens all the way. Maybe I was just expecting more. Oh well....I did go out and ride around the house and the front end would come up easy in first or second. I had to tug for third to come up. I'll have to try when I get off of the wet grass. That could be the problem. Thanks! Oh the twist throttle came on it. I have the thumb throttle too and I'll probably end up putting that back on. i can't get used to a quad with a twist [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2002, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Did you actually look at the butterflys in front of the carbs? That's the only way to tell if the twist is opening up all the way. You have to pull the carbs to see them.

The stock raptor is very fast, Put a prodesign w/ a K&N & outerwears, full pipe (I like the Sparks) & a Dynojet kit & it'll rip!!

Old 10-13-2002, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TWO98XJS
Ok I just traded my 02 Grizzly for an 02 Raptor Limited Edition. I thought it would want to rip my arms off. It is all stock except for a twist throttle. It looks BRAND NEW and I hope I can keep it this way. What mods do you all recommend for power increases? I'm thinking the Yoshi full Ti exhaust and a jet kit. I'll be mostly trail riding until I get some new a-arms and extended axle. Drag racing at the local track isn't out of the question either. Thanks!
Something dosen't sound right if you went from a Grizz. to a Rappy and you don't think it rips, even in stock form?

Anyways, throw a pipe on it with a pro flow and whatever filter you decide to go with and you'll notice a big difference.

Old 10-13-2002, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Remove the hose between the air box and the carb and stick ur finger in there when u twist it, like he said you cant tell if the carb is off the bike because that would take some slack out. I hate twist throttles on a quad too, they just plain get on my nerves especially when u hit bumps and such.

Old 10-13-2002, 09:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Get rid of the twist for starters. JMO. If you keep it in the power band 3rd gear wheelies are possible. Get away from your front yard and open it up. Everyones expectations are different. Maybe you were just expecting to much. Pipe/jet it/Pro design K&N or Foam filter/remove the lid and you'll be happier.

Old 10-13-2002, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

your Rappy must be raged out cuz my cousin can pull fith gear wheelies on my friends raptor going up a hill of course but even a stock raptor is plenty fast. This same raptor was clocked at 83 mph. STOCK. Every time i ride it i want to buy one but i think ill stick wit my ute.

Old 10-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

Nah TWO, dont listen to these fools [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. It isnt you, your raptor is slow. Get yourself a nicely modded shee, then u will see the light.

Just my opinion!

-Nick

Quick Reply: I just got a Raptor. Is it slow or is it just me.