Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Hotcams stage 1 install.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Hotcams stage 1 install.

Well, I installed my Hotcams stage 1 on Sunday, and Boy what a difference! I'm glad I had some help, it was a little tricky. Thanks to RaptorRidrTx, RaptorRCR, and Dollarbillz. First of all, we found out that you cannot re-use the stock decompression, unless you drill the hole out yourself. That is not a problem for me, since I run stock compression, but any hi-comp engines might want to drill it out. I learned a valuable lesson, that you should always seperate the bolts when you take them off. Geez, it took me forever to figure out which bolts go where, and now I'm leaking oil out one of the bolts, so I don't think it's in the right spot. I love this cam, it is definately worth the money.

Old 10-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

No problem, just get that leak fixed.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2002, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

AdamsbadDS650............ Just for your info. I am running the HC stage 1 cam & a 12.1JE piston without the the decmpression mech. and it has worked out fine. Your right about the cam it RIPS!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Which bolt is it leaking out of? I just changed my buddies cam twice recently. one or 3 (forget) of the bolts are chromed, you would think they go where you would be able to see them but I am pretty sure they go on the top of the motor in the holes that are inset and would hold water and they are chromed so they dont rust.

Then drop the rest of the bolts in the holes without tightening them, they should all pretty much have the same lenght showing.

Old 10-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

I didnt have to drill any holes for the decompression release,the factory parts from inside the stock cam fit right inside of the hotcam.

I really like how the hotcam revs compared to the stock cam,really broadened the powerband.

Old 10-14-2002, 08:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Shouldn't be leaking oil if you got the liquid gasket stuff everywhere it was suppose to go. Take the cover off. Clean off all the old stuff and redo the liquid gasket. jmo Good Luck.

Old 10-14-2002, 08:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I had too slightly enlarge my hole for the decompression mechanism as well.

Old 10-14-2002, 08:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You guys talking about the spring and the plunger? Are you saying the plunger would not fit into the hole?

Old 10-14-2002, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the plunger and spring thing wouldn't go in. I didn't have the right equipment with me to drill it out, and I was tired of working. Works pretty good, I can definately tell a difference in starting without the decompression. The instructions say that some will be able to use the decompression, and some not.

On the bright side, I shaved off .10 or so pounds by loosing the decompression. Lol

By the way, always use loctite on the motor mount bolts, 2 of the ones for the top motor mount (where it connects to the frame) came out! I got some extras, though. Blue loctite on these!

It was leaking oil out the top of the head cover, around one of the bolts, It came loose. Does anyone use loctite on head cover bolts?

Old 10-14-2002, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

How does the response feel compared to the stock cam? Can you tell a big difference? Little difference? no difference. Throttle response better, worse? Goes faster, slower? Low end better, top end better or not? TIA

Quick Reply: Raptor Hotcams stage 1 install.