Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How is a banshee In woods riding and mx

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is a banshee In woods riding and mx

Ok just wondering how a banshee will do in the woods with lots of hills,water and mud. How will it performe? and im sure its good ofr mx rite? Just give me some things baout a banshee of how it is in the woods.

Old 10-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Totally out of its element, its like trying to put a square block into a cirlce hole. On mx it will pretty good w/ some new shocks, axle, etc., banshees are MUCH more at home in wide open riding. Unless you are talking about wide trails w/ fast turns and dirt then the banshee could shine.

Old 10-15-2002, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

For tight woods I say Warrior, for nice trails i say z400 or 400ex if u can get it cheap. If you want to do MX too go for the Z400. A lot of people are going to tell you to get a raptor but if i had to pick between a raptor and a warrior in the woods I would pick the warrior. The power is alot more tractable with less jump to it. In other words you wont run in to stuff as much and wont end up over doing things. Of course im about to ruin that part of mine by giving it 30+hp all in the mid-top end but it will still be more tractable..... I hope.... My friends 440ex does alright in the woods except the fact that mine stops better with just the front break than his does with front+rear. The not being able to stop gets you into some trouble. Also the geomerty on it dosent like to climb uneven grades, it just kinda wheelies and makes you run into stuff. Short wide wheel base I guess.

Old 10-15-2002, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Unless your racing in those conditions the banshee should be fun even though not that good in those conditions,not as good as your raptor!

Old 10-15-2002, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

The Banshee is fine in the woods. My Banshee is primarily a trail quad and it's great. And no, I don't ride fast open trails...We ride tight slow going trails where you have to crawl over objects and things like that (check out my website for pictures www.vtextreme.com ). I have two complaints on the Banshee as far as woods riding goes.

First being the powerband....it is really peaky stock and has little low end power. That can make certain obstacles tough because it is hard to avoid spinning. This isn't a big deal though.

Second being the cooling system....I have had mine get hot a couple of times as the radiator has no fan. Going slow for long periods of time is hard on them. Like I said though, this has only happend a couple of times

Personally believe it or not, I would much rather be in the woods on my Banshee than my 400ex. My buddy has a Warrior and it is probably better than the Banshee on the trails (same type of geometry, but 4 stroke so you have the low end torque). However, once you get out of the woods the Banshee outshines the Warrior so it's all in what you want.

As for MX riding. I am sure an experienced MX rider could handle the Banshee better than me, but I don't really care for it on the track. The lack of low end makes it difficult in the technical sections, and the suspension is also not the greatest for the big jumps (and when it gets really rough).

I would imagine that a low end pipe and some new suspension will help those problems though I have never experimented with it.

The Banshee is a good reliable quad despite what you may have heard.

-Josh

Old 10-15-2002, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly what Piranha said.

Old 10-15-2002, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

The Banshee does just fine on the trails in the woods. Heck I took mine elk hunting last year just to get out to the hunting spot. It even popped over a several small logs in the trail with no problem. I even ran it through a shallow creek. But this year, I am taking the Prairie.