Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Who runs a twist Throttle??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who runs a twist Throttle??

Blueleader

I am faster on a quad because I crash more often on a bike and lose alot of time putting my arms and legs back into their places.

Been there and done that except that I have a habit of running into trees when go off the fireroad or trails.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

For the quad, not once I have crash at all, even though came close a few time......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2002, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

When i first started riding about 5 years ago, i couldn't ride more then 30 mins. w/out my thumb hurting and having to stop, but i never thought to change it when i was little so i got use to it, and now i can ride the whole day w/out it hurting, but i would like to get a twist throttle but i've rode my friends and i think it would take me a little while to get use to it and i don't have much money to spend right now.

Old 10-16-2002, 07:29 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I guess since I am so freakin good on my dirtbike I just don't crash.

Chet

Old 10-16-2002, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for being nice KingRaptor...I appreciate it. Fact of the matter is, after riding 127 miles at pretty much race speeds through the woods last Saturday, by the time I reached the last section of trail we all call the "roller coaster", I found myself in trouble a couple of times because of an aching thumb. Right when I needed to pin it the most, to get my tail slid around a tight corner, my thumb pretty much seized. Was looking over the edge of a cliff. Cursed the thumb throttle and decided to go ahead with the twist throttle. But, warriormaniac also brought up some good points.

I guess my question (being a girl and all) would be, is a twist throttle hard to install? It can't be any worse than taking the E-brake system off on a Warrior, can it? Or, can it?

thanks in advance for any help

Old 10-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

going to put one on pretty quick

Old 10-16-2002, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

WarriorMadness
I have a '90 and a 2003 Warrior. Both have Motion Pro twist throttles. The '90 has a 1 into 2 cable system. The throttle on this one seems to spin farther to open the carb up. I think it is due to the box that the cables go in and out of. You have to twist as far as your wrist can bend, and then re-grip and twist some more to get full throttle. I'll have to re-check, but everything was adjusted correctly.

The 2003 is a much different story. It feels just like the dirt bikes. This quad has a single cable into the carb...this newer style was introduced in '94 I believe. If you could replace you carb with a newer model it may work out better for you. Just something to think about...either way I prefer the twist.

Dunescreaminmama
Put the Motion Pro twist on and toss the thumb throttle in the garbage. I don't think you'll have a problem adjusting to it. as for installation...if you did the clutch lever change like we talked about before you'll be ok to do this.

Old 10-16-2002, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, once again, Mascman. BTW, I did go with the CR perch and lever, at your suggestion. Much better for smaller hands. I'll trust you on the Motion Pro Twister.

Thanks again!

Old 10-16-2002, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Mascman, I actually have a 87 carb on my 90, it has a single cable going in. So if I bought one for a 94 and newer it would work?
Thanks for all the replies, looks like alot of us grew up on Dirtbikes. One of my friends grew up on 3 and 4 wheelers and he told me if I would put a thumb throttle on my CR he could ride it good. Go figure. Looks like I will make the change soon.

Old 10-16-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

I have one on the tecate

Old 10-16-2002, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have never used a twist on a quad but id like to try it, alot of the time when i would hit a robk my hand would come off the handlebars if i was going at a pretty high speed while giving it gas with the thumb, i would see leaning back and stuff harder with a twist.

Quick Reply: Who runs a twist Throttle??