Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bannshee VS 250R

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bannshee VS 250R

I know this ? probably comes up a lot but I was wondering how much faster a banshee is then a 250R. Is it a crazy amout of difference or like 5-10 quad lenghts. If you know anything please help me out thanks.

Old 10-18-2002, 10:26 PM
FMF
Pro Rider
Default Bannshee VS 250R

A stock Banshee will run 72-74 MPH and a Stock 250R will run 70-72 MPH.
What kind of riding do you do?

Old 10-18-2002, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bannshee VS 250R

Completely stock dosent a 250r have more hp? Pretty much you can make either one as fast as you want its just the banshee engine will stay more reliable and ridable with more power because it takes less effort for it to get more.

Old 10-19-2002, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Bannshee VS 250R

jackel i'm not sure about the stock 250r hp but i think it would have less then a banshee 250vs350 but i bet you can't find a stock 250r l8t

Old 10-19-2002, 01:53 AM
FMF
Pro Rider
Default Bannshee VS 250R

well when my Banshee was stock and I put it on a Dyno it had 34HP

Old 10-19-2002, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bannshee VS 250R

i think the 250R had better hp to weight ratio's but thats about it. and im sure a banshee will beat a 250R, reason being, banshees have 6 gears, im not to sure if 250R's do or not, but i know when my friend gets it in that 6th gear, it takes a min. to get it in the rpm's, but when it does it cruises past my 400 2-stroke dirtbike. my dirtbike goes 85 stock, and has 34 hp. all stock, the only thing i put on it is a uni foam filter becasue its old, and i cant find much for it. but the banshee is definately not stock, and it did waste all the other, non-stock 250R's at bull gap. bull gap is a drag racing hill. but i dont see the point of stock anyways. do you really wanna keep things stock?

Old 10-19-2002, 01:35 PM
Range Rover
Default Bannshee VS 250R

Stock ATC 250R (86) was faster than any stock banshee.
Banshee is a great screaming little machine though. I sure would like to buy one before they stop making em.

Old 10-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Bannshee VS 250R

well first Id like to say that Im not bragging Im just stating fact

this weekend i went to glamis with 3 friends of mine. i have a 03 banshee with fmf exhaust and K&N. thats IT. completely stock otherwise. and Id also like to say that I dont have a 6th gear and i barely have 5th becuase Im jetted too lean and the bike bogs (taking care of that this weekend) It runs OK in the other gears if I keep the rpms up

well anyways the other 3 bikes are:

1) 87 250r quad, fresh motor, paul turner pipe, fat boy silencer, aftermarket reeds, stock carb, etc w/ hauler paddles. rest is mostly stock
2) 87 250r quad, complete duncan racing motor (fresh) & exhaust, tuned by duncan, duncan everything (carb, heads, exhaust, porting and polishing, insides are duncan, etc etc) with expensive reeds i mean lots of $$ into this bike.. with sand skate II's
3) 86 250r atc, i think it has white brothers exhaust, a K&N but otherwise stock as far as we know (bought it that way) but still a fast bike

up the hills, especially the bigger hills in glamis I would spank all 3 of them. bike #3 is pretty fast but its the slowest. bikes 1 & 2 have really good riders (better than me and more experienced although Im pretty good on my bike especially the more I am getting to know it).. believe it or not bike #1 is the closest to me.. I could usually hit the next gear going up a hill and start pulling away or start passing him depending on who got the holeshot. bike #2, was actually no contest for me, there was no where I couldnt beat him..

at the sand drags #1 would be right there behind me for 3/4 of the way but remember I would run out of gear and just have to wind the motor out. If I could hit the next gear I would have pulled away, without a doubt and severely beat him.

im obviously not comparing totally stock bikes. whats the point? Seeing stock bikes in the dunes is about as rare as <insert something rare here> at the very least you need to compare with aftermarket exhaust.

the banshee is one bad mf-er even in stock form. IMO its far better than the 250r. From what I gather not much if anything has changed since '87 when they first came out. with these other bikes having fresh motors too, We might as well have been time-warped back to '87 when all of our bikes would have been new. the banshee wins hands down in my real-world experience.

remember, this is dune riding, and tires & gearing have a lot to do with it. I think thats half the reason bike #1 was faster than bike #2, because he had haulers and are generally faster. Ive thought about getting some haulers for my banshee just to be fast in a straight line although I love the handling characteristics of the sand skate II's

mike

Old 10-20-2002, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default Bannshee VS 250R

FMF I plan to ride in open trails, hit jumps mostly, and wheelie and fool around. I don't live by sand dunes so i won;t be riding at them.

Old 10-20-2002, 06:02 PM
FMF
Pro Rider
Default Bannshee VS 250R

If you get a Banshee or a 250R do you want them to be Stock or Mod?
I have a Super Mod Banshee and I do the same kind of riding that you Do and it is a Blast with my Banshee.
And I have rode a Stock & Mod 250R and I like the Mod 250R Better then the Stock one.
But I also like the Speed of my Banshee.

Quick Reply: Bannshee VS 250R