Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor and predator engine question...VIP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 02:11 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor and predator engine question...VIP!!

I think the Predator is a sweet bike but i wish the would have made it a 440 so it can run with every one else. its in the middle between the 400/440 exs and zs and the 440 cannon but its not as big as a ds650 or a raptor660r. Maybe they will show they realy want to take care of people like Cannondale. I cant wait till i can line up with one on the dirt...should be fun.

Old 10-22-2002, 02:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

86 I would wait for at least the first year models to pass. I have an '01 Raptor and worry every time I ride about the tranny.

Rockey that was a good anology(sp?)

Old 10-22-2002, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

I just have to laugh at some people. I agree with everyone about the first year quad, but look at all the z's and raptors that were bought the first year, and no one is about to bijch about them! lol The Raptor is a great bike, still needs some changes to it as far as I'm concerned. And yes, I have ridden one, almost every weekend. The Predator is a machine with a 500 cc engine, that will, stock for stock, beat a Raptor. People talk about moding the crap out of a Raptor, maybe it's just me, but can't you do the same thing to a Predator? Same as people did for the 2001 Raptor? Some people thought the Raptor wouldn't be all that, keeping up with a DS, and it didn't. We'll just have to see about the Predator. Me, I'm a Polaris fan, have a 95 Scrambler that I've probably stuck enough money in to buy another one! But after three years of testing and perfecting, i'm going with the PREDATOR SWEET SPOT!!

Old 10-22-2002, 03:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Me, I'm a Polaris fan,
I never would have guessed that by your post, thanks for sharing.

Old 10-22-2002, 04:48 AM
Pro Rider

There is an easy answer to this......

Go for the one that gives you wood [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2002, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

r u saying they tested the predator for 3 years?! well that gives me some confidence. It seems to me they wanted to perfect it the first time. I know most companies dezign something and put it out as fast as possible just to make their money. Sounds pretty good, i think ill go with the predator.

does anybody know how long it took for problems with the 01 rappy to become evident. Thanks

Old 10-22-2002, 03:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Becarefull who you get info from about testing this thing. I have no clue if they did or not but I could tell you whatever I want to. I don't think anybody but the actual "testers" no how long it was tested. The way I see it they might have been designing it for three years but not testing it for three. JMHO

I can't remember about the trannies but it wasn't to long.

Old 10-22-2002, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

The real test will come when the machine is in the publics hands! I'd give it a year, I can't think of one manufacturer that would tell you " ya we just got this thing together...... we did'nt test it much, it should be OK though."

Old 10-22-2002, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

damn, what the heck am i going to do. i cant wait til next september as i want the quad to use for the spring and summer of this coming season. This sucks!

Old 10-22-2002, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

warrior,
Maybe you should look at what you are going to be doing with this bike. IMO, the Predator seems to be sort of MX oriented, you said you were going to dabble in MX, have you plans for serious racing?

Raptor- Trails, Fireroads, Rivers, Dunes
Preadtor - MX, Trails, Dunes ????

The rap is a 3rd year bike ( 4th year maybe?? ) , I'm sure the bugs are worked out. I have no doubt Polaris duly tested this engine/frame/suspension components , BUT it is still a first year quad, and no bike is perfect, there is still a good POSSIBILITY that there could be a glitch, who knows?! I don't think all the R&D in the world can duplicate what we as owners can do to our machines.

That said.....

I'd buy the raptor, for 2 reasons

1. Bugs are pretty much worked out (tranny, etc)
2. Its available now and you can get a good price, you said that you wanted a new quad by next spring.

So the question is, how much $ is it worth you to wait for the Predator?

Oh yeah, have you thought about a Cannondale?

Quick Reply: raptor and predator engine question...VIP!!