Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Well, Sure gonna miss the Blaster.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 02:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, Sure gonna miss the Blaster.

We sold my son's Blaster last week. Who'd ever thought you'd 'miss' a Blaster? My son began his racing career (Flattrack/TT) on that machine back in March of this year. By the end of the summer, I had put considerable amounts of time and money into the Blaster to make it faster and more competitive. The list of mods is quite extensive. For a Blaster is was quite fast. In fact, it would run with 250R's. Didn't have enough power to pass but they couldn't run away from my son either, and this on a 1/5th mile track. He even placed 5th in one race in the 250 pro class (TT/Flattrack).

In the one MX race we made it to, my son nearly got the holeshot (he was second to the first corner out of 19 machines) against Banshees, 400EX's, Raptors, one Z400, and 250R's.

3 1/2 years ago, when my son was 13, I got him the Blaster for his Birthday. Made his day.

Well the time had come for him to step up to another machine, since he'd simply outgrown the Blaster. We certainly had a 'blast' on the Blaster, and while it was fun, we knew it had to go.

Tonight, I pickup a Banshee for him (and it's not even his birthday...). Now, it's time to start the process all over again. The process of tweeking and modifying the motor and chassis. Sometimes I think that is even more fun than riding. Sometimes.

Some of the more rewarding times I've had have been times watching him race the Blaster at some of the local tracks.

Well enough of my rambling.

Regards,

Rog
Picture of my son, Derek, at Little Sahara - Oklahoma

Old 10-23-2002, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

Ramble on RC350! all fathers should have the same attitude!

Old 10-23-2002, 11:43 AM
MrP
Pro Rider

He ought to be really hauling on his Banshee if he was on a Blaster. Let us know how he does in future races.

Old 10-23-2002, 12:00 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Thats really something, I wish my father when I was 16 would have been into dirtbikes.

Chet

Old 10-23-2002, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah that's pretty cool, your son is stepping up to the banshee, he's lucky to have a dad into it as you are.

Old 10-23-2002, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

My dad just says Blah Blah Blah fast enough, Blah Blah gonna hurt yourself, Blah Blah Im tired of working on it get it away, Blah Blah shut that noisy thing off before I sell it. All this from a guy who used to spend all his money on a race car while living in a trailor with my mom and having a shop 10x bigger than their house.

Old 10-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

hey rc haven't seen you around for awile that blaster was pretty sweet good luck with the new banshee and have fun with it thats probably what i'm going to get in about a year later

Old 10-23-2002, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the replies. My son is quite a guy. He's been my riding buddy for the past 3 years, which has been time we've both enjoyed.

Fathers should all take time with their kids, both sons and daughters. I determined when my son was younger that we'd do things together as much as we could. I have a great father, one I wouldn't trade for any other. However, all I've ever known him to do was work, sometimes 2-3 jobs at a time. Recreational time was rare indeed.

I wanted to be more involved with my son, so I figured that I'd have to endure a second childhood. It all started with "Dad, I want a dirt bike." After about a year of hearing this, I thought, "hmm, maybe he really does want one." So I bought him one. After realizing that'd I gotten one too big for him, and after he'd rode a neighbors 4 wheeler, he decided he wanted a 4 wheeler. So, within a few days time, we'd sold the dirt bike and bought the Blaster. Ain't never looked back since.

When I get to be an old man (hey, 38 is still young....), I'm gonna look back at these time and remember all the fun we had, fuel we burnt, and the money we spent, all in the name of fun (you know, you just can't put a price tag on fun).

Now the fun part begins: making the Banshee go fast.

Regards,

Rog

Old 10-23-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

duncan racing makes a good kit but your probably going with the local porting so you can perfect it have fun making it fast of ya toomey is coming out with a new t-6 pipe that it spose to beat every other pipe kinda like the blaster so you might want to check into that you can email them at there website for more info

Old 10-23-2002, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Engine wont need a whole lot of help. Some pipe/porting, high compression piston and bigger carbs will be all hed need if he was keeping up on a blaster. 70hp is pretty easy to get on a banshee. Handling is what needs all the work [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img].

Quick Reply: Well, Sure gonna miss the Blaster.