Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Well, Sure gonna miss the Blaster.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, Sure gonna miss the Blaster.

Thanks, ToomeyBlasterRyder. The Blaster was pretty nice. It was one of the fastest Blasters in this part of the country. Last trip to the sand dunes, some thought we had a 240, but it wasn't. I believe it would beat my son's bone stock Banshee is a drag race. It certainly would give it a run.

The Banshee motor does need some help to be competitive in flattrack/TT. Around here, the open-pro class is very competitive, with some machines pushing 78 hp. The open-amateur class still needs a pretty good motor to run up front.

The plans for the Banshee are pretty simple. We will start with the intake. Gotta take care of the poor Yamaha design, so a pro-flow with a K&N will be first on the list.

Second will be pipes, along with a jet kit. Third will be a boost in the compression, probably in the form of a Cool Head with 20cc domes to get us in the 175 psi range with stock porting. After we get some wiseco pistons installed at a later date, we'll bump the compression up to the 200 psi range.

After getting these mods completed, we are gonna put aftermarket a-arms on that are +2 wide and +1 forward. Along with the a-arms will be some shocks. Hopefully, we can find some that will allow us to adjust the ride height for flattrack and TT racing and still work good for recreational riding.

An axle on the order of 2+2 will also be installed on the rear. Sometime later, a shortened swingarm will be installed (at least -1, perhaps -3 for TT/flattrack racing). Perhaps a revalved rear shock will be in order here as well.

After we get the chassis set up like we want, then we'll take another look at the motor. Porting will be done on the Banshee cylinders to match the intended use. Of course, it'll be done locally. Too many good engine tuners in this area to look elsewhere.

At some point, V-force reeds will be installed. Timing will be advanced, probably using the Vito's +4 degree key. A shaved and lightened flywheel, hotter ignition, bigger carbs, the list goes on and on.

Regards,

Rog

Old 10-24-2002, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

acually i think that it would have beat it but mainly becuase of the crappy stock tires
me and my cousin similart weight and stuff draged a stock banshee except for a boost bottle vrs mine and its not like he killed me i even got the holeshot one but once we hit 5th he was gone and he would have a had a higher top speed out of the hole you would get the banshee but then it would be a question of top speed if the race was long enough

Old 10-24-2002, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

have fun with the banshee it should be sweet

Old 10-24-2002, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

finally something worth reading [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
i to had a father that just worked alot never got to spend much time with him before he died [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] he liked to fish hated motorsports. now my son and i have quads but my son dosnt seem to interested in his blaster? but we still ride when we get a chance. hes into computers dosnt seem to really care to much about it, tries to get out of cleaning it all the time heheheh. i just wish they would open up some trails in CT so families could get together for a good time of trail riding. maybe NO HORSES ALLOWED beyond this point, signs heheheh. i never met a horse person who has been nice on the trails they think they own them all. thats even back when we could register in MASS legally to ride on them. they would never wave and always snub there noses @ you.

Old 10-24-2002, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

I own a horse and i'm nice.......lol

Old 10-24-2002, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

That is a pretty good story rc350,nice to hear people not fighting on here for once!You could get a self sagging shock with ajustable ride height and lower it a lot for tt and raise it up for other kinds of riding......Do you use the tt tires ?????If so arent they expensive and wear it quick??I wish i could do tt racing but the onkly thing close around is here is you go around the 1/4 mile car oval at the ochechobee gncc!

Old 10-25-2002, 02:11 AM
Trailblazer

Peltrax,

What we did for the Blaster is have a local shop weld some secondary shock mounts on the lower a-arms that dropped the front by about 3 inches. For flattrack/TT racing we merely had to unbolt the front shocks at the lower point and move the shock to the secondary mount and re-bolt them. Easy. We also mounted a sway bar for racing.

I had a friend help me (or rather I helped him...) fabricate a lowering bracket for the rear that dropped the rear by about 3 inches as well. It was simple to install as well. Just unhook the rear shock lower mount point, and attache the bracket with a bolt or pin, then attach the shock to bracket's lower point.

We did run flattrack tires. McCreary's (American Racer) infact. On a Blaster, these tires will last a whole season, since Blasters don't have a lot of horsepower. On a Banshee or similar machine with some horsepower, tire wear is pretty intense. It's possible to go through a set of rear tires in one weekend. We did have to swap the left rear for the right rear about 1/2 way through the outdoor season this year on the Blaster. Different compounds are available as well. Harder compounds last longer, but don't give the tackiness of the softer compounds. We ran the softest compound we could.

Future mods for the Banshee will be something similar. The rear is easily lowered on a Banshee by simply replacing the rear link with a longer one. Lowering the front can be accomplished in much the same manner as the Blaster or by choosing the right aftermarket shock. Sandtrax in Tulsa, OK, sells some shocks made just for flattracking which only have rebound adjustment (by controlling the speed of the rebound, you can control the amount of hookup out of the corners) as well as adjustable ride height. With these shocks, you don't need any lowering kit, since this is accomplished with the shocks.

The "fixing" of the Banshee is something my son and I are looking forward to. We get into many "debates" about what we want to do. Of course, he's always correct. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Regards,

Rog