Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2000, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am picking up my 2000 wolverine tomorrow and I am thinking about putting my tires and wheels from my grizzly on them for the extra clearance(I put diffrent tires on the grizzly).Any pros and cons by doing this?Do you think the 23" tires on the wolverine will be sufficient for trailriding and a little mud or will the 25" tires work better.

Old 03-31-2000, 08:04 AM
Range Rover

If your just going to be in a little mud and don't really need the ground clearance than I'd stick with the stock or stock size tires. I put a set of 25x9.5x12 and 25x12.5x12 superswamper tsl's on my wolv. and it really killed the low-end power.

Old 03-31-2000, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with asfastasu. I have a 95 Wolverine (motor is all stock) with 25" tires on it and it does seem to be lacking bottom end. I can't comment on the difference in 23" and 25" since it had 25" on it when I purchased it, but if you are all stock then I would recommend sticking with the stock 23". Maybe we can get someone to comment here who is running 25" tires on their Wolverine that has done some simple mods such as K&N, Pipes, jetting, etc., and they can let us know what helped out and what didn't. I like the 25"s but the stock motor and gearing just doesn't cut it in my oppinion.

Old 03-31-2000, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Well I dont run 25" tires on mine but I run stock tires and they have no problem in the mud. Trail riding is good. And with adjustments and such you will REALLY notice your power increases.....unless you want a mud monster its ultimately up to you.....

'99 Wolverine SuperTrapp pipe, skid plate, UFO handguards, UNI filter

Old 03-31-2000, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

I do have a good pipe and rejetted and have done some air box mods but the weight of the tires is whats really hurting it. If I were going to switch to 25's again, I would try a narrower rear tire. I believe that the stock tires from a gris would work fine, but the only thing you would gain is ground clearance.

Old 03-31-2000, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer

Hopkin,

I rode with a guy last weekend that had just put some 25" vamps on his stock Wolverine. He was a little dissapointed because the weight of the Vamps robbed his power. You didn't say what the tires were off of your Grizz, but if they are real heavy like Vamps or Super Swampers, you may want to keep this in mind.

Old 03-31-2000, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all your replys.I picked it up tonight but have not had a chance to really try it out.The only reason I was considering putting the grizzly tires(25x8x12front,25x10x12?rear)was to gain some ground clearence.These were the tires that came with the grizzly but I put blackawater XT's on it and had them laying around.I guess I will try it out this weekend if the weather permits and see how the wolverine does.

Old 03-31-2000, 09:27 PM
Range Rover

Bigger tires on a Wolverine mean mods....
I have spent alot of $$$ and time modding a 95 Wolverine. If you need any advise or help feel free to ask. I also do a little side work. I know the Wolverine engine inside and out. I have been an auto tech. for 20 years and specialize in engine and trans work. My Wolverine races competitively in the 4 stroke class and has a manual clutch. I have done head work for people in these forums...ask Boomer
They are really great bikes, but they lack a little for aggressive riding...
The best mods for these bikes are a cam and a higher compression piston, matched with a better air filter and pipe.
Ofcourse some of my port work really helps
Hope this helps...
thumper4x4@email.msn.com

Old 03-31-2000, 10:24 PM
Range Rover

I've got a 95' also and it had 25" tires off a Big Bear on it when I bought it. It worked great on the trails and dirt roads but when I hit the mud holes I would have to downshift a lot to keep the power going. They do lack torque in stock form. But yours would turn the Grizzly tires too cause theyre also 2 ply dunlops.The thing I liked the most about the bigger tires is about 5 more mph in top speed. And a lot better ground clearance. As you can see by my profile at the bottom , The bikes not stock anymore and it turns the tires quite easily now, even in the mud.
I can hit the throttle in second gear now, with a small tug on the bars, on flat ground, and she'll stand on end.

Old 04-01-2000, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got to ride a little on the wolverine today and I love it.It is a nice riding machine.I have not had a chance to try it in the mud to see waht it will do,so I am going to hold off on the Grizzly tires for now.Thanks for all the inputs!!!My wife wants to take it over so I will have to stay with the grizz,she may be the boss at home but we will see what she does on the trails.

Quick Reply: wolverine tires