Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help! Raptor wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Raptor wont start

I am stumped here.My raptor was running just fine the other day. I try too start it yesterday and it wont start. It just turns over and over, but wont fire,I get a pop out of it every once in a while but thats it. I pulled the plug and its all wet and black. I cleaned it up,put it in and the same thing.I tested for spark and im gettin spark,doesnt look strong but its sparking.I have too recharge my battery now,cause its drained,Im just stumped here,was running just fine befrore,anybody have any ideas?

Old 10-27-2002, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

my best guess would be that you fould ur spark plug then when you tried, and tried to start it you coverd the plug with fuel. and don`t keep cranking it it is bad for the starter and you run the risk of bending your rod,
my suggestion would be to put a new spark plug in (make sure it is the right heat range, and that it is gaped right.
and if it has a week spark it would not hurt to check out all the connections in the ignition
or it may have been flooded

Old 10-27-2002, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

MRHP1
What color is the spark? It should be blue to a purple color. If it is white it means the spark is weak. Make sure all switches are "on" (sounds stupid, but check the kill switch). I am not sure if the Raptors have this, but I just had a problem with my Warrior not revving past quarter throttle. It turned out the parking brake was partly engaged and the rev limiter was being activated. Checkyour parking brake as well. I would also suggest making sure there is no water in the spark plug boot or around the boot housing. If it is dry, try another spark plug, the one you have could be faulty.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys ,I will check these things,as well as get a brand new plug. Im sure it didnt help it was about 30 gegrees out either.Question for you blastermaster.Why would i risk bending my rod if i kept cranking it,just wondering,thanks.

Old 10-28-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

"Why would i risk bending my rod if i kept cranking it,just wondering,thanks. "

Once you flood the cylinder with gas and you just keep cranking it out. You are running a risk of bending the rod due to the compression built up and the gas got nowhere to go. Imagine that you are squeezing the balloon and it pop. That kinda would happen and you would run the risk of bending the rod once it get to the breaking point. Kinda make sense?

Old 10-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok,I see your point,But wouldnt the compressed gas go out the exhaust valves when they open?

Old 10-28-2002, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Not all the gas would be going out thur the exhuast valve, therefore you would run the risk when the gas built up.

Old 10-29-2002, 01:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

I experienced a very similar event at the Cheese Country Trail two weeks ago...

I had an additional symptom...gas coming out of one of my carb overflows like crazy...

I parked at the shop at Gratiot (sp?) and the guy inside heard my quad turning over...he told me he sees this with Raptors from time to time...he pulled out an air compressor, turned my fuel off, took my fuel line off the back end of the fuel-cutoff-switch - then shot some air into the carbs via that fuel line...hooked it back up and she started right up...(after a few nasty backfires...)

This was 2 weeks after an Illinois dealership "rebuilt" my carbs (and charged dearly, Y.E.S. only covered 50% of that) to fix the same problem...the Wisconsin guy said it was caused by gas with high ethenol content causing my floats to expand and jam.

Take this for what it is worth...figured we're in the same climate w/similar gasoline, could be same problem...

Brent