Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

LiL trail story, been a while ;)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiL trail story, been a while ;)

Hey all,

I know that i have not been on here much, but i have been extremely busy with family, school, and blah blah blah..... I thought that i would find time today to share a little story with you.

Went for a ride with a friend and put my swingarm back on my griz. I couldnt beleive the difference in the handling. Day and night. Anyways, i got a little over confident and was zipping down a trail that passes right by my house.....i was only a fraction of a mile away and was having fun splashing through the mud puddles from the snow that was melting off. Each puddle that i went through, i sped up.....just a little.

It was fun watching the water fly over my head as i zipped through a puddle. I couldnt believe that i waited SOOOOO long to go for a good, long ride. We were planning on going up to the family bar (about 17 miles away) and get a cup of coffee and play a little pool while we warmed up. Well i didnt even get the thought of "getting cold" and BAM. I hit a puddle that was hiding a washout. It seems that the fast melt had made a nice DITCH across the trail and the water level was just high enough to hide it. I hit it at about 40mph or so and the bike went right and i went straight ahead down the trail. I ended up spinning in the air and landing on my back (thank god). I landed head first with the helmet in play. We looked at the skid marks and i actually slid over 15-20 yards. I came to a nice peaceful stop....in the very next mud puddle.

The bike went off the trail and into the weeds (NO TREES!!!) without a scratch, my helmet now has a new battle wound for stories on the group rides, and my right elbow has a nice bruise that i hope will go away sometime soon. I decided that the best thing to do was to hop back on the bike and "air dry" while heading to the bar. This really wasnt the best idea that i have had.....even worse than hitting that darn puddle at the speed that i did...lol When we got to the bar i was froze. I mean it......my cloths were so frozen that the stood on thier own on the floor...hehe I had to have my bro-in-law truck me and the bike back to the house.

So this goes to all of you that "KNOW" the trail that you ride.....the one that is right in your backyard.....the one that you can ride with your eyes shut.....

Every trail can change without warning.....even the trail that rides right by your house. It could be a fallen tree, something someone put on the trail.....or even a ditch that was never there before.

good riding guys and hope ya have better luck than me!!

Jonathan

Old 10-31-2002, 03:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] glad to hear from you again.

Old 11-01-2002, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Ward.....

I just have not had the time to be on here.......to many other "life" projects going on!

Hope ya enjoyed da story eh!

Jonathan

Old 11-01-2002, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Good story! It has been a long time, I was just thinking the other day that I haven't heared a good story from ol' frogman. I'm gload you are okay and it's a good thing you had a helmet on.

Old 11-01-2002, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

Frogman,

Enjoyed the story, another one of those hard learned lessons that can sometimes only be learned from living it. I lived in the UP for 6 years while my father was stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB from 1984-89, I graduated from Gwinn High School, anyway it has been one of my most favorite places I have lived. It really is Gods country up there. While up there I really got spoiled with the abundance of riding areas and trails that are avaible. When I lived up there I could cross my street and had access to miles and miles of trails and numerous dirt pits to play in, now I have to truck my quad 30 minutes to a overcrowded riding area that people abuse and neglect, damn shame. I hope to move back someday, show my southern belle wife what a winter really looks like[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Anyway good story and keep them coming.

Dirthead[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]