Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Belt question for Grizzly owners.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt question for Grizzly owners.

Hi guy's, I just bought a 2003 Grizzly 660 limited edition. I am in the process of breaking it in and I was wondering if I needed to run it in low range much. I have read that with belt drive auto's you need to run them in low range most of the time, unless you are planning on going pretty fast. I was told, that going slow in high range puts allot of stress on the belt and causes it to ware out faster. I know that this is the case for the prairie 650, but the transmission design on the Grizzly is different. It is a constant tension belt. So my question is, does that still apply to the Grizzly; do I need to run it in low range to keep from wearing out the belt? I noticed that the Grizzly has a very low low-range. At 10 mph it is really starting to rev, with the Prairie 650 that I used to own, you could easily go 20-25 mph, which is not much of a low range if you ask me. Anyway, any info you guy's can give me would really help. I will probably be out riding again tomorrow and I don't want to screw up my belt. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2002, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

people always say,

break it in like your going to ride it..

Old 11-01-2002, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] take it from someone that has a grizz since the day they came out--ya ain't gonna hurt the belt no matter what ya do sensibly---all of mine have had water and mud in the belt and sheaves from time to time---stupidity---usuallly--never hurt a belt--never replaced one ---got 2000 plus miles on this one on the same belt--got 26-12-12's all the way around with spacers / stretched tires out to 28 1/2 inches tall (lotta air--20 plus)and ride 50 weekends a year--put the thing in any range you want (whatever it feels good in --the bike will let you know) and go have fun. if ya ride as much as i do and with the big tires -- it won't hurt to clean and repack that primary sheave twice a year---when ya do --buff the sheave surfaces with a scotbright in a air rotary tool -- or by hand with 180 or 220 emery tape--hooks up better--clutch kits from EPI REALLY MAKE IT JUMP OUTTA HOLE -- check our club website for good pics---funwheelerpark.com---HAVE FUN--RIDE SAFE--GET MUDDY

Old 11-01-2002, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the good info quic89. I don't plan on running any tires that are taller or bigger than stock, as I don't have any mud to play in out here in Vegas [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] so hopefully I won't have to mess with the sheaves. I have only heard good things about the Yamaha Ultramatic transmission, so I'm sure I will be pleased. Thanks again.

Old 11-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Hey 3TV, pretty strange that we both bought our Limited on the same day, even stranger that we are both previous Prairie 650 owners [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] what made you make the switch? It was several things for me. I read all the reviews, and they always picked the Prairie 650 as the winner, and the Grizzly always coming in second. So I figured it must be the better of the two. Maybe it is to some people, but not to me. The belt started squealing at 450 miles, I don't care if it can be adjusted or not, that is just to soon. I also didn't like the way it looked, but I bought it anyway becuase I thought that it was supposed to be the better quad. I think the Grizzly is the sweetest looking 4x4 made. Also, the ride is very harsh over the rocky rough stuff. I ride with a Sp700 owner, and he would just cruise right over the rocky trails, but on the Prairie, I had to slow way down so that I didn't get shaken to death. I would also hit the skids allot of the time, when he wouldn't. Now with the Grizzly the ride is really smooth and I haven't hit a skid yet over the same trails [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Also, the fit and finish of the plastic body parts on the Grizzly are way better. The Prairie 650's plastic was pretty cheap, specially the plastic around the floorboards and the fender flares. Wow, when I look back at it, it seams their was allot about my Prairie 650 that I didn't like. So far, knock on wood, I haven't found anything that I don't like about the Grizzly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The Prairie is a good machine don't get me wrong, but I think it will only appeal most to those who value absolute off the line acceleration more than anything. And if that is your top priority, you should just buy a sport quad. I'm not meaning to knock the Prairie 650, but after owning both of them now, for me, the Grizzly is the far better machine. People with different needs will not agree, but that is fine, that is why we have choices in different machines.