Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Got my 03 Blaster, now what???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my 03 Blaster, now what???

I need info about 3 things: Pipes, Rad Valve vs. Delta V-Force,,,,and wheel/tire combinations. Please give your opinions about which to buy and why. Also,,,where is the best place to order aftermarket stuff. Cheers, Dave.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Well, make sure you break it in properly first.... Then get a pipe. You'll get a million opinions on which are best. About reeds - I don't care what anybody says, Reeds are NOT a real power adder. They may help with response and give a little extra hp but dollar for dollar they offer a poor return. I would say do this in order - break in, pipes, +4 degree timing key and head milled. A better aftermarket air filter is good too. Any tires are better than stock almost.

Old 11-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

toomey is a great pipe especially in the top end
fmf and lrd are also good pipes from what i hear
the only pipe i wouldn't get is dg
reeds like he says don't really do much you better off to get like porting or a vitos super stock piston then maby a bigger carb
and ya ditch the tires they suck
it depends on where you ride
holeshots are always a popular choice

whyduner you looking forward to the t-6 you going to upgrade?

Old 11-05-2002, 02:37 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: WyoDuner
Well, make sure you break it in properly first....
If you just picked up the machine I would wait till the factory warranty expires if you value that. Modifications will void the warranty.

Chet

Old 11-05-2002, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

pipe:i think 90% of blatser owners on here have and would reccommend the toomey b1 pipe kit,comes with air filter so thats taken care of..
reed-v force reed valve
tires-fast trekkers,holeshots,or razrs are all good.

Old 11-05-2002, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

toomey pipe: comes with airfilter, jets,crossbar pad, silencer, everything. rocky mtn atv is the cheapest according to stuart toomey.
i put holeshot xcr in 20" on back, ITP wheels [ a pckage deal] and changed counter srpocket by one.
i hate the grips, so they went away too. oh and raptor bars, which you have.
and i did finally take the airbox lid clear off after having drilled 12 holes in it, and it DID make a diff low and midrange! i was really surprised!
for the time being tho, very important to break it in easily. it will last longet that way... really

oh and join the blaster club too, we'll be sharing tips, hints, tricks, etc. gonna be fun!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2002, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the replies guys (and girls)! I just ordered the Toomey B-1 kit from RockyMountainATV,,,and the kit will be here Friday. I can't wait. I am so psyched about riding the Blaster,,,everytime I take it out I have a total blast! I think the Toomey kit will really pep it up. I had an RZ350 (the powervalved Banshee motor) with the Toomey pipes and it screamed!

I've heard differing opinions about replacing the stock reed cage with either a Rad Valve or Delta V-Force,,,some say you barely ad HP,,,but I put a Rad Valve on a 99 KDX 200,,,and the bike came alive,,,it actually made more of a difference than the FMF pipe I put on it. The throttle response was so crisp,,,and it seemed to pull longer. If anyone has had the same response from an aftermarket reed cage, please let me know. I don't want to waste 130.00 if the gains aren't noticable.

I broke the motor in properly the first day I bought the bike. I ran through several heat cycles with minimal throttle. After that, I know the rings were seated so I gradually began to "have some fun". As far as voiding the 6 month warrenty,,,I could really care less about that. The blaster motor is such a simple design,,,and a very proven design, that I seriously doubt I'll have any problems, and if I do,,,well, that a chance I'm willing to take.

I'm so new to ATVing,,,I have some really stupid questions: First, what are nerf bars used for? Also, Are bead locks worth the money for a Blaster? They look really cool, but I generally just trail ride, so wouldn't a set of Douglas 190's work just fine? Sorry for the long post,,,and cheers to all you fellow Blaster riders. Dave.

Old 11-06-2002, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

If you just trail ride .160s should work and douglas 190s would definitly be good,i think beadlocks wood be an overkill unless you got the money laying around........Nerf bars are so you dont get tangled up with other quads during racing they also help your foot from getting sucked under the machine,but for trail riding they can be a hassle as they can get caught on obstacles.

Old 11-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Dave i couldnt afford the reed cage, so i put the replacement boyesen reeds on the stock cage. I also put in a reed spacer, as they advertising smoother midrange...I cant tell you if it all works since i put it all on at the same time, but damm!!! its a different quad now!
when you get the B1, take those airbox vents and throw them in a corner. just take the cover off, install the toomey air filt, oil it, and leave the cover off. serious diff in performance.
..and i had a he!! of a time with the needle jet til i realized the keeper just slides out....i was tryin to hold the slide, compress that d**** spring, and unscrew those little buggers all at once... wow!
the needle holder just slides out when you ease up the spring pressure. simple for someone with brains...lol
use the little green hose that comes with the kit to attach the stinger....you may be able to use the stocker, but it hassled me, so i tri-flowed the new green one and it went right on.
dont tighten it up till its all on....then let's play! it makes the coolest sound!

have fun. feel free to ask anyone about that B1 kit... most of us have them. or, you can ask Toomey himself: www.info@toomey.com attn Stuart.
nice folks.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2002, 06:36 PM
FMF
Pro Rider

For a Pipe and Silencer I would go with the Toomey B1 or the FMF Fatty Pipe & the Power Core 2 Silencer. And It is up to you about the Reeds but if you do get them I would go with V-Force Delta 2. And you sould look in to Vito's Super Stock Piston. And for Tires I would go with Razr 2 for the front and rear. (Front 21x7x10) (Rear 20x11x9)

Quick Reply: Got my 03 Blaster, now what???