Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ct racing or yoshimura pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 03:09 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ct racing or yoshimura pipe?

cause it has a supertrap type discs, with make it a little harder to tune but you can tune it for mid, low or top end power since you can remove discs to change the power curve. i just run mine on my z with the race cap since mine came with one, its loud as f#ck but gives it killer top end.

Old 11-13-2002, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

Listen and see the Yoshi

Raptor Standard Pipe vs Yoshimura Pipe (1.883kb) 10/11/2001

Mabe this will help you deciede [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Unfortunately at the time I captured the vid mono sound, not stereo........still sounds awesome though!

Old 11-13-2002, 11:09 AM
Range Rover

Did you give Trinity a thought?

This thing looks trick, sounds mean & loud [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] , and really wakes the beast up.

Here's some pics of it on my dirty *** raptor

Trinity Pipe 1

Trinity Pipe 2

Trinity Pipe 3

Old 11-13-2002, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

I understand how some can feel that the DW article may have been biased. However, they did run all of the pipes on the dyno and published the numbers. These numbers were read by how many people? Figure in a lot of people read it online or borrowed a friend's copy of the mag. If it was that biased, don't you think all of the mfrs who felt that their pipe didn't get a fair shake would be screaming bloody murder? They could sponsor a shootout on their dyno and put out the truth as they see it. Or, it only costs $200/hr to hire an atty to send a letter to get a retraction. Fancy letterhead from a famous law firm goes a long ways to wake people up and make them understand that what they say, what they PUBLISH, is protected by the first amendment, but it better be the TRUTH or kiss it all goodbye.

So I'm going to say I have to believe the dyno results, even if they were done at the CT shop. I've seen dyno charts published from CT showing a nice fat curve and 50hp peak. The DW article showed 48.5hp. Close enough to repeatable for me. If somebody is willing to publish a dyno chart, I'm thinking that they:

1. did it on the Dyno and not Photoshop

2. Are confident that their customers will get similar gains if they follow the directions.

As far as sound goes, I'm not too concerned about louder or quieter, you can change the discs on this style to get what you want. I'll forgo a "mean" sound just for the power numbers. I bought the whole kit from CT - pipe, K&N Pro Design and jets for $599. ( I know, the jets are a waste, but the pkg price was right and I'm not driving all over town 'cuz Jackazz ATV Shop swears he has the jet I need and then sez somebody just bought it - but you REALLY need this boost bottle for the Rappy... you know the drill)

For those who say the were in the dunes and beat this/got beat by that or loved/hated the sound, keep in mind all of the variables. Jetting, gearing, rider experience, holeshot, tire pressure, clutch technique (or lack) can make more of a difference than the name on the pipe. Opinions can vary, but a dyno sheet is something you can compare to and use as ammo if you feel it doesn't perform.

The entire kit comes in a box to my office, and the secretary knows EXACTLY what it is, cuz she rides MX. Time is money and I'm not driving all over town. Every shop in town has it's own favorite pipe, but none had ever run any of them on a dyno, so I can only surmise their preferences are based on profit margin, looks, free shwag....?

Disclaimer: All of the above is purely the opinion of the poster and in no way represents a warranty expressed or implied for suitability for use or merchantability. Removal of this tag is punishable by law. Your mileage may vary, weight losses not typical. Cape does not enable wearer to fly.

Stay tuned for my advice on how to select/train a girlfriend. This includes a pizza (in the box), a mug of beer, a DSS/TV remote control, Mothers Mag polish, videotapes of Amber Lynn, Astro Glide, a garden hose and a golf ball.

Old 11-13-2002, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

airraptor, thanks for the reply.

You state that dyno numbers can change based on how the bike is strapped down. OK, for the sake of argument, I'll believe that. Does strapping it down a certain way show more hp than is actually produced? I can't see how, but if so, I'll listen. I imagine there's some way to lower the numbers by improperly doing it.

So assuming the test in DW was skewed by CT to make all of the other pipes look bad, then the CT pipe produced 48.5 hp and the others could have produced as much or more, but were intentionally held back. That's a fairly serious allegation and calls into question the integrity of the people who ran the dyno. Maybe I'm naive, but in my mind, the backlash from doing something that egregious would be far worse than any potential sales gained from the stunt. All of the other mfrs should be chomping at the bit to dyno their products and publish their numbers to answer back for the injustice that was done to them.

I agree with you 110%, torque and low end power really plays more of a role than peak hp numbers. The hp curve for the CT looks pretty good to me, but I haven't seen others so I won't comment further. I'd a bought a 'shee if I wanted to ride a light switch.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I should also point out I incredibly oversimplified the decision process by leaving out riding style, terrain, other modifications planned for the bike, etc. The race goes not to the guy with the highest hp peak but the one who can get the most power to the ground the fastest. Honestly, I'm not going to be dumping $20,000 into this thing to prove anything about physical attributes. I want to ride the dunes on a comfortable bike with enough power to keep up with most, and 50hp should do it.

Now looking at your list, I'm curious what criteria you used. Did you dyno or see dyno charts from all of those pipes? Do looks, fit/finish and sound enter into the equation? These factors may be important to some, but not too critical to me. I've seen the Yosh, Big Gun, DMC Alien, FMF, White Bros E, Sparks and another I don't remember, all hanging on the store walls. 2 different shops both stated the DMC Alien was the only way to go, all the rest had no opinion or were pushing a high profit item. Another factor (not the biggest) to me is price. To get a complete exhaust, filter and jets for $599 is pretty good. I've been quoted $169 to $245 just for the filter and jet kit. So that leaves $354 to $430 for the exhaust at the most, which is pretty much the low end of price range for a complete exhaust.

To sum it up, if all of the mfrs would dyno their products and publish results, they would all at least be trying to show off their products in the best light. I searched through all of the bazillion previous posts on what pipe to put on the raptor and most people honestly answer with "Buy XXXX, it looks so cool and sounds so bitchin!" The DW article is the only dyno shootout I've heard of, so it's all I have ot go on. I don't see how strapping a bike down a certain way can result in inflated dyno numbers, but I'll listen. Until an independent shop does their own testing, we'll still be guessing to an extent.

Old 11-13-2002, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Get the yosh!!!!!!i have experience with it and it rocks..And stop listining to dirtwheels articles,if you do your research you will see that it wasent a fair test.....I ahve run into alot of raptors and not seen 1 with a ct Pipe..

Old 11-13-2002, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

raptor03,

What have you seen that indicated the DW article wasn't a fair test? I've heard several people say it, but that doesn't make it true. There are a lot of people talking about Santa Claus this time of year, and I've yet to meet the fat guy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Did you dyno the Yosh? See charts for the Yosh? That's all I'm asking for. Empirical evidence rather than subjective opinion. Point me to a website or post, anything. I just wanna learn....

Old 11-13-2002, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well at first i wanted to get a curtis sparks pipe , so i called them for some info and when i mentioned the pipe shootout they were like dont listen to that because when dirtwheels called them and asked to be part of the shootout they said yea, and that the only thing that they were going to do was put the pipe on and run with no airbox mods and no re jetting,So when you read the dirtwheels mag you see the dyno tests and the ct is above all the rest but they had the most mods to there airbox ,and all the other ones could have produced more hp with better airbox mods but they diden't,Im not saying that CT isen't good but all the pipes could have had a better dyno reading if they were aloud to run with no lid,No snorkel or bigger jetting,etc..More air more power,That's what turned me away from listining to mags so i did my own research and came to my own conclusion,And i love the yosh,Looks good sounds good and is good.....P.s Ask as many questions as you can ...

Old 11-13-2002, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, coming from a CT exhaust owner,

If you read the article, it mentions that the manufacturer's were asked to supply their pipe and their instructions, which included jetting and airbox adjustments. The fact that the manufacturer shipped the pipe with minimal instructions, is no fault of the magazines.

When you buy a CT exhaust, you buy a kit. It comes with a filter, flange, jets, and exhaust. Very specific instructions are included on the setup, including the fact that you need to run 16 discs (already tuned and tested from their shop). In fact I believe supertrap sells the discs by the dozen so Alan had to include the extra 4 in every shipment.

Alan has responded to some of the posts on this forum detailing that his staff didn't have anything to do with the tests, and the most involved they got was to hold the throttle for a couple of the tests. (a search of the ATVC archive will show all this). So the insinuation that the test was biased by CT because it was at their shop is incorrect. The magazine had to do it somewhere, and they aren't going to buy their own dyno. So they borrowed some dyno time. Big deal.

My personal dealing with CT has been excellent. Their product works as advertised, and I am ver satisfied with my purchase.

But back to the issue at hand. Yosh vs. CT.

The mag article mentioned that the Yosh was the second quietest in the test, and made the second most power in the test (behind the CT, but with fewer airbox mods). This is an impressive combination and makes the Yosh incredibly attractive.

I will say that the Yosh has the CT hands down on the manufacturing process, and appearance. It is head and shoulders better. (A buddy just got a Z with the Yosh kit). Man that pipe looks great.

There is a raptor owner on here who had a CT pipe on a dyno and found that there was a better pipe for his setup. He dynoed both and chose the other pipe. I can't remember which pipe, it might be a Sparks. A search of the archives will find it.

Another consideration should be a GYTR slip on only with the same airbox mods as a CT kit. A friend of mine has one on his machine and the CT beats it. Barely. But it was much cheaper.

So if you are looking for a great looking, great performing, great sounding pipe, it looks like a Yosh. Just book a little time to get it jetted properly, and dialed in.

The CT is a headache free type setup, where the tuning has been done before you buy it. Follow the instructions, and you will have a hot setup. (Did I also mention that CT was the first exhaust manufacturer to publish their dyno charts on what could be done with just an exhaust and airbox mods? People were shocked with almost 50hp!) Alan really paved the way here.

The GYTR should be kept in mind as an option which is also very competitive on performance and price. But it is LOUD.

All the above info is on a stock motor. Once you go into the motor, your airflow characteristics will most likely change. Your best source of information is right on this board. Use that search feature. It will keep you busy for hours, and should give you good info.

Good luck,

RM

Old 11-13-2002, 10:09 PM
Range Rover

Well basicly what ive concluded by all your replies, is that you cant beat the yoshi as far as its reliability. As for all other pipes mentioned, all are about the same with differing costs. Hmmmm, I believe that the Yoshi has won my approval based on these discussions and past posts. I notice on the yoshi web site, there are different pipes, such as race series, comp series, or pro series. Whats the difference or which one is worth the purchase? Thanks everyone for your opinions! Dirtwheels and all other 4 wheeler magazines are very bias! Not necessarily the pipe shootout. In a recent magazine, they had a 400ex vs. cannondale shootout. In power category, the article says both machines are about equal and hard to distinguish between. My buddy has a cannondale and it rocks! Not even close to a wimpy 400ex. Waste of time to read any article in DW or any other 4 wheeling magazine!

Quick Reply: ct racing or yoshimura pipe?