Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ct racing or yoshimura pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002 | 09:20 AM
Range Rover
Default ct racing or yoshimura pipe?

Originally posted by: zubbeyboy
Aight listen......I ride with 3 or 4 Raptors.One with a Yoshi Full Ti,one has a FMF Titanium Full System,one Big Gun Race,and hands down the best built and performing is Duncan Racings Fat Boy 4.The Welds are second to none.The sound is awesome and it outpulls everyone else (of cours cept 4 me and my TRX LOL) Late,zubbeyboy
I'll agree with ya there, two of my buddies I ride with both have Duncan Racings Fat Boy 4. Those pipes are awesome, plus there's hardly anyone on the forums that has them, mainly b/c they weren't included with the DW pipe shootout.

You like the way everyone upholds the yoshi, the duncan is right there with it in quality and I bet ya it'll pull a lil' harder too.

If you want a good deal on one of those, get ahold of Golden West they sell the Fat Boy 4, SA, Pro Flow w/ K&N and outerwear, and the needed jets for like $630 shipped

Old 11-14-2002 | 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

I still see no dyno sheets from any other mfr. I'm not saying that other pipes can't or don't put out equal power, but a dyno sheet's gonna give you a little more leverage if you don't get the desired results.

I did a search on ct pipe or ct exhaust. All I found were positive comments on how easy it was to install and how well it performed. One even stated he dyno'd 51hp. I found no posts from anyone stating they could not jet the pipe or could not give it away. Just post the link, I'll read it.

I did find the following thread concerning someone who just couldn't jet his Yosh!

Actually, there were 11 different threads from people requesting help with jetting their Yosh pipe, and 1 thread from a successful Yosh owner who loves it. Now I'm not here to bash Yosh, I'm sure it's a great looking, great performing pipe. So this indicates either:

1. Yosh purchasers are either genetically incapable of understanding the basics of jetting an engine... or

2. The Yosh pipe is very popular and 11 out of 12 purchasers are newbies... or

3. Yosh pipe purchasers hit the keyboard and ask for help more than CT pipe owners... or

4. The Yosh pipe is actually the difficult pipe to jet... or

some combination of the above. The point here is, when you do a search, you find out what people are asking and saying. This only means that someone with the product has access to a computer, this forum, and asked the question. I don't think it's in anyone's best interest to repeat opinions and pass them off as gospel or fact. I'll listen to anybody (I'm married, I have no choice!) but I can tune out unsubstantiated rumors (see "I'm married" - above) and really respond well to hard data and posts like rennym's, where he states facts and opinion based on his experience, and I can clearly tell which is which and his logic is sound.

zubbeyboy,

I appreciate your scientific approach to the question. I'm sure from your vantage point, you always have a good view of people's exhaust. The next question is, what brand of binoculars do you use to view them with? LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Now if any of you see me at Buttercup or Glamis and you blow past me on your kid's Raptor80, don't assume the CT pipe is junk cuz you wheelied past me as I struggled to shift into 2nd. I'm an old fart, my last ride was on an ATC 250R (back before some of you were walking) and my huevos are gone (see "I'm married" - above). Yup, I've got all the excuses already lined up...

Old 11-14-2002 | 10:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

while this may not be relevant for many riders, it is to me and most of us in the midwest. big brother says you have to have a spark arrestor to ride on many public or recreational lands. this immediately rules out some of the pipes. from what i understand, the lrd and alien dont have them, although i thought i saw an ad for an alien arrestor for other bikes. i am not sure what other pipes do not have an arrestor, but its something i have to take into consideration.

another point for those of us who ride outside of the dunes. if it is too loud, your ears will ring for hours and your neighbors or the people living in an around rec areas will whine. there is a limit of 100 dB or so here in michigan, and while most stock pipes easily meet that requirement, very few aftermarket ones do. the quietiest pipes ive ever heard on a raptor were a full yosh ti unit and a trinity stage 4. the pipes to stay away from for noise are the alba, gtyr, fmf powercore, and the ct. with lots of power and very little noise, the yosh comes in first with the trinity on its heels. i didnt know that trinity had a stage 5 now, i saw someone had noted that earler. any dramatic change from the stage 4?

btw, any input on airboxes? ive heard that you have to move a lot of things around for the graydon, so what are the other options?

Old 11-15-2002 | 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Air,

I respect your opinion on this issue. I like the other posts / feedback as well - Fat Boy pipe. Haven't seen one, but will definately be checking it out when I come across one.

I didn't have too much trouble in trying to jet my machine. Your friend with the 400 may be having other issues that the pipe. I have a buddy who can't get his 400 jetted properly. He has had the carb totally dissasembled, cleaned, put back together, and tried the jetting again. He is not inexperienced at this. But for some frickin reason, he can't get it to jive. My 400 was a breeze to jet. The only thing left is to switch carbs and try. Oh well, when we find one that we can use for a bit, we will try it out.

So it may not be the pipe.

If there is a message to this thread, here it is:

Search this board. You find out more information that you will ever want to know about real life experiences with different pipes, and their manufacturers. Make your own decision.

RM

Old 11-15-2002 | 12:44 AM
Range Rover

I have the Procircuit slip on with stock head pipe. Got a good boost from this set up. However, I felt a much better increase in mid to high range when I first added a dynojet kit. I know alot of people hate dynojet kits for the raptor but my kit made mine act alot more like it's name. Third gear wheelies to fifth gear wheelies with a slight yank. Of course the Procircuit dropped six pounds off the raptor. That is always good.

Old 11-15-2002 | 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

hey all you short bus riders! the dirt wheels test was a joke. the pipes were not all tested with the same airbox/intake. the lid on and jetted is not going to have the same hp as with the lid off and jetted. simple!!

the ct and graydon are identicle. if one has the lid on and the other does not (both properly jetted) guess what!!! the one with the lid off is going to have a higher peak hp!!

Old 11-15-2002 | 05:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

weasle- Man that looks like quad abuse. Get out some 600 grit sandpaper and get busy.

Pipes- that is fighting words on here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] How come we have never been able to hit 50 hp with just the pipes on a dyno-jet dyno. We have dynoed 42 raptors in various trim levels. 1 trinity 686 made 44 hp. Most pipes on this dyno (3 different times) made from 36 to 42 hp.

I think the pipe manufactures are full of it. Start with 34. hp that runs good, add a pipe and hit 50hp. How come a piped/jetted raptor only beats a stocker by 4 lenghts in a 660 race?????? I would thank a 50 percent increase would do more than that.

I have had my share of pipes
trinity
gyrt
t-4
yoshi
custom drag
mrbp
I am now running a gutted stocker. looking to a mrbp full system next with with 1.5 inch headpipes. That is killer if you have the motor. PM raptorrc for mrbp questions. I have tried both of there systems and the fit and finish is great.

In the end- Buy what you like cause you ride your quad not me. Impress yourself and not your riding buddies. My gutted stocker dynoed higher than the t-4 by the way. The curve was not as good. The gytr had the best curve with a 1 hp loss to the t-4.

Old 11-15-2002 | 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

OK, now we're hearing dyno feedback. Sorry I don't know who anyone is or where they work. When you say we, is that Craycraft? Can you describe the procedure you use on the dyno? What gear is used?

I'm quite surprised to hear that the highest hp was 42. And a 686 made 44? That's a lot of coin to drop for a 2 hp increase... I keep hearing people say 47-50hp is do-able with any pipe, there's not much difference between pipes.

Did you guys spend a lot of time jetting them? It sounds like that's the key. 42 is a lot of bikes to dyno, must have been done over a long period.

The CT kit comes with their specific needles and I was told the results would not be as good if stock needles were used, dunno if I believe that. The nice part is it is a complete kit with good instructions, saving time and a little money. I suppose if it performs as well as the average pipe, I won't be disappointed.

I agree with you, a 50% power increase with a pipe, filter and jetting does sound unrealistic. On the other hand, I've heard the street version of the motor makes 50hp stock. Are there any internal differences between the 2? I think the 660 in the street bike is what gives people the impression 50hp is easily achievable.

Airbox mods were mentioned. Does anyone know if removing the lid increases turbulence greatly? I would think having the lid on with 1/2" holes in it would give better flow and low turbulence, but I'm just guessing.

Ah well, I'm gonna break it in with the K&N and stock pipe for now. I'll throw on the CT after the 1st service and go from there. Depending on noise requirements, I may switch back and forth.

Thanks all!

Old 11-15-2002 | 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

you are right with needle point the pipe doesn't work totaly right unless you get the new ones
when by dad got the pipe it didn't come with the needles so it didn't run quite right after we put the new needles in it ran much better

Old 11-15-2002 | 02:49 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: ToomeyBlasterRyder
just a point with those needles you right when by dad got the pipe it didn't come with the needles so it didn't rune quite right after we put the new needles in it helped
Got engrish?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ct racing or yoshimura pipe?