Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'03 Blaster - which tires for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Blaster - which tires for winter?

My '03 Blaster is totally stock... I was thinking of getting some new rear tires for it though. There will be snow here soon - should I run the stock rear tires in the snow or should I buy Razr's?

I will probably get these in the spring anyway but if they'll work better in the snow than the stock tires, I might get them now. So what do you think? If I get the Razr's, what size should I get?

thanks

Old 11-13-2002, 12:32 PM
Trailblazer

Any tire you choose will be better than stock. I'm probably going to get Holeshot XCR's,,,the new 6-ply version of the Holeshot, and it's available in size 20/10/9 for the rear. If you have the money, get the .190 rim package. I haven't done it yet, as I've only had my Blaster for less then 2 weeks. But I put the B1 Toomey kit on it, and I HIGHLY recommend that kit! Cheers, Dave.

Old 11-13-2002, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply Dave!

I'm curious; how old of a guy are you? And how big are you?

I ask because I'm a 32 year old guy, I'm 5'9" and weigh 200 pounds. I bought the Blaster because I think you get a lot for your money. It seems that most Blaster riders are much younger and smaller than me. Just wondering if there are any other big, old dudes riding these things [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I really want to do a bunch of stuff to upgrade my Blaster... I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade the heck out of it or just ride it stock for a year or so then buy a bigger quad.

Old 11-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

JVC,,,,,Believe it or not,,,,I turned 40 this year!!!! I too bought the Blaster because it is without question the best bang for the buck. I'm 6' tall and weigh about 180lbs. I hear alot of people talking about guys my size being too big for the Blaster,,,but I find I can ride the thing all day without being uncomfortable. I ride with guys on everything from 4 stroke 3 wheelers to full blown raptors and banshees,,,and ya know what,,,,we're all having the same amount of fun. Here in Virginia, there a very few places where you can open up a Blaster in 6th gear, and when you do, it's just for a very short stretch before the trail ends. I always prefer to have a machine that I can use all of it's power and actually "ride it" rather than riding a machine that I can barely get out of 4th gear on. I have owned 35 different bikes/quads in the last 3 years. Everything from quads, dual sports, motocross bikes, and all out Sport bikes. In the real world (you know,,,the world in which we ride) the performance available to us is in truth, more than most of us can use. A prime example is what happened last weekend: My brother bought a YZ250 and I ride a KX125,,,,I can absolutely rip hime up because, even though his bike makes LOTS more HP than mine, I can push that KX to it's limit moreso than he can on the 250. In the turns in slippery conditions, he has to feather the throttle because he has so much power available, where I can just nail it and pull several bike lengths before he is on the gas. I also know that in the right riding conditions, more power is a wonderful thing, like in the open desert or out west where there are wide open spaces, but here in the east, those conditions are rare, so my personal preference is to have a bike that I can 'push' rather than have a huge amount of HP at my disposal that I can't even tap into. There's lots of examples I can give based on personal experience, but I'll spare everyone with just one. On the street, I have owned many different bikes, everything from a 250 Ninja to a Ninja 1200. The 1200 was a total blast in a straight line, but what's the point of obliterating the speed limit in first gear, where there's no skill involved other than twisting the throttle and holding on for dear life? I'd rather ride a smaller bike than I can actually 'Ride' on the street than have so much power that I can't use it without putting my license in jeapordy everytime I twist the throttle. I've been riding for 29 years in one form or another, and I've come to believe that sometimes "less is more". I know many of you will disagree with me about that,,,and that's totally cool with me,,,,heck, in the 1/4 mile I'd rather be on the ZX12r than any other machine, but like I said earlier, I can hang with most of the quads out there with my puny little Blaster which puts out half the HP of those bigger quads, and I have a total blast doing so. The wonderful thing about riding these days is there is a quad or bike to suit everyone's preference. So please don't flame me gang if you happen to disagree with my perspective,,, "Its All Good" as long as everyone is having fun. Cheers, Dave.

Old 11-13-2002, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

ya hey you can't beat the value
get the toomey kit atleast
if you really want to go all out talke to 1bad blaster he has everything you can buy including that new 240 kit from ct racing puts out 41hp
but ya get some new tires the stock ones are 2 ballonish

Old 11-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

The best Pure snows tires wood be either realtors or 4-snows,but if your gonna only ride in the snow for a little bit id just buy some razrs or holeshots cuz they would work good all year long!

Old 11-13-2002, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

ya i bet you the realters would work good in the snow they also work good in the dunes
but ya for an overall tires go with a holeshot or a razr

Old 11-13-2002, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

ya i am a youngin i am 16almost 17 now 6'1 165lbs and my blaster does just fine for me but it is 4 inches longer, 5 inches wider and has full aftermaket suspension and more than twice the hp

Old 11-13-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

hey bad blaster you think you could turn on the private message option