Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Which air filter to choose

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2000, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 00 BB and Im looking to get a after market air filter. The only problem is I don't know which one to get. I always ride in the mud and streams, extremely wet conditions. I have looked at getting the K&N air filter but I have heard that they do not handle wet conditions well. I am also interested in getting the Pro Flow air filter system but, paying almost a hundred dollars for the unit, is it worth the extra price from the K&N filters. I would like your comments or experiences with either of these filters and which one do you think would be best for a 00 BB in wet conditions.

Also with the putting either of these filetrs on do need to change any of the settings on the carburator.

Old 04-02-2000, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Hi,

This is going to be a little long because I have heard negative comments on K&N's and disagree.

I have been using K&N's since the late 70's. Mostly in the Florida sand & Dust. I raced my buddies in orange groves allot. The dust in an orange grove is very fine. Florida sand is very fine also. I'm not talking about the Beach sand. I,m talking about the woods, groves and oyster shell roads. I never had any get through a K&N. Since I started reading this forum I have read about some folks stating that K&N's will let dust in. I was shocked. I ran a YZ125, RM 250 and a YZ400 in the fine stuff with no dust getting in.
One day I removed my stock foam from my YZ125 and could see & feel the fine grit in the carbs intake port. So I got a top rated after market foam unit and found the same thing. My Uncle raced Sprint midgets at the time and heard my complaints. He put me onto the K&N. I installed one and found no more grit or dust evidence.
So I called the K&N Tech line the other day to ask when they are going to make one for the Y2K Kodiak. He said, “Soon I'm sure”.
Anyway I spoke to him of the claims made of dust entry over foam. Well you know what he said. The only thing he said as to the possibility of it was poor maintenance. Maybe they had a boot leak or used compressed air to blow it out. A BIG No No.
I have one on my 1997 Z71, and the wife’s 1996 Blazer. Every vehicle I have ever owned has had one if K&N made it. There will soon be one on my Kodiak.
Foam is the most restrictive flowing element you can get. A K&N will flow 40% to 50% more than foam. A Dirty K&N fill flow better than a clean foam unit. It already filters out smaller microns than foam so a dirty K&N will filter even better.
As for water compatibility. Well no engine likes water. Water will pass through a K&N faster. But when is water on an air filter ever good?
Do a plug reading after running above ¾ to full throttle. You want it to be cardboard brown. I suspect you will have to go up at least 2 main jet sizes with the K&N. But you never know until you try. The all run different.
Go to their site and read up. I’d have one on my John Deer if the would make it.
http://www.knfilters.com/

Old 04-02-2000, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

I personaly don't like the k&N's, hard to clean and I don't think they filter as good. I like the Uni filters. There a two stage foam fillter just like the ones used on dirt bikes. very easy to clean and the oil you use on them makes them good in water. Just my 2 cents. Tim

Old 04-03-2000, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

therock
thanks, appreciate the info and giving me the web site for K&N filters. I checked it out and got the information I needed to convience me that K&N filter is the way to go.

Old 04-03-2000, 06:50 AM
Pro Rider

I will agree that a K&N does take more time to clean but it is not a Hard Job. However they do not need cleaning nearly as often as a Foam type.
I'm sure the 2 stage filters good. I know it don't flow as well.
K&N was tested against other types of filters by a consumer group and was the clear winner in the test as far as stoping the smaller particles.

Old 04-03-2000, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

This is a great post. I've been trying to decide which kind of air filter I should get for my 400EX when (if?) I get a pipe. Lots of racers use K&N filters and K&N is a respected name. I ride the dusty trails of Minnesota (I try to avoid mud and water) and I think I will go with a K&N and Outerwears. They seem better than a foam. To me, foam looks cheesier than a K&N.

Old 04-03-2000, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

I use the K&N on the Pro-Flo adapter on my 98 banshee with about 8 holes 1/2" in diameter through the lid.I've never had any problems with the filter passing any dirt or water and I've had up to about an inch of water in my airbox before.
As far as being hard to clean.....I find it easier than the foam ones no messy sticky oil to get all over your hands just spay on the cleaner let it soak for 15 min then rinse,dry, and spray on the new oil.

The only drawback I've seen is during real dry time here in ohio the dust is about like riding in talcum powder and it will form a layer over the filter and greatly reduce airflow.The outerwear would probably solve this problem but I came across annother filter cheap so I keep one clean and oiled in a ziplock bag in my gear box on my trailer.when ever I feel the power laging I just swap in the clean one and clean the dirty one when I get home.I'm still looking at the pre-filter though for those long rides when I can't make it back to the trailer

Greg

Old 04-03-2000, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

The dust here in Minnesota isn't like talcum powder as you described. Some trails can get really dry and therefore dusty. I'm still not sure. A couple of fellow Minnesota riders are still telling me foam!