Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Replaced starter one-way in the Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced starter one-way in the Raptor

For others undertaking this adventure here is my advice:

1) Tear it apart to see what is damaged before ordering your parts. You might or might not need gears too.

2) Drain your oil before pulling the cover off. You could tip the bike up and not lose any oil but then it is at the perfect angle that dirt will roll right into the engine.

2) Sears sells an adjustable type strap tool for $20 that will hold the flywheel while you get the nut loose. It will also hold it while you retorque it to 110 lbs. Make sure you spray the flywheel off with brake cleaner so the strap gets a good grip on the flywheel.

3) Don't forget to buy the gasket and the two rubber o-rings. I bought the one for the starter too.

4) Use some sticky gasket sealant too hold the gasket onto the cover side so you can line it up and get the bolts started.

5) If you take the starter cover off (you don't need too), make sure you have this gasket too. Also note that 2 of the bolts holding the started cover are a bit shorter than all the others. These two go on the bottom of the starter cover.

6) Have two cans of brake cleaner to spray all the oil residue away thus making reassembly much easier.

7) Make sure you have a new oil filter and oil. I thought I had one so I lost a day of riding today after putting this together last night.

8) You will need a flywheel puller and three 8mm 1.25 thread pattern metric bolts about 4.5" long. The bolts will not thread into the flywheel all that far until stopping against the one-way bearing. In other words, don't strip the threads trying to force them in too far.

9) Once you do get the flywheel and one-way bearing out, screw one of the 4.5" bolts back into the flywheel and it will separate the flywheel from the one-way bearing.

This job took me about 4 hours to complete but I am really meticulous. The hardest part was getting the torque right on the flywheel bolt. The 2nd hardest was cleaning the gasket material off the cover. I used a 1" putty knife. I think a razor blade may have worked better.

Good luck and hopefully this helps someone.

/NotuRaptor

Old 11-17-2002, 05:03 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the excellent post Notu!!
Parts are on their way for me to complete this job myself. To me this is the greatest benefit for a forum like this. Great advice from great people who have already experienced the things you are going through!!

Did you get your parts from TJ's Parts Express? How long did it take for you to get them? I'm through my first week and expecting to wait at least another.

Thanks again,

TX

Old 11-17-2002, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Good info on the replacement. I replaced mine in about 2 hours. I got the parts from North County Yamaha for 150 overnighted to me.

Old 11-17-2002, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

www.tjpartsxpress.com

Link