Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wanna do an engine swap...what would be a good motor to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna do an engine swap...what would be a good motor to use?

I have about 10 grand into my warrior and the engine is pissing me off cause its falling apart. I want to do a motor swap and was wondering what a good engine would be to replace my old one.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Got a 500 kit? if you build it with all the best parts it should hold up pretty good. If it dosent get a RD400 or RD350 engine, air cooled 2 stroke, made by yamaha, and bad ****. Another option would be a something like an RZ350 engine but you would have to mount the radiator, 60rwhp stock though and torque to boot because it has a power valve. Other options include just about any big cc dirt bike engine you can get your hands on. I just recomended the RD engine because you could prolly get one with very low miles and perfect condition for less than 400 bucks. Has about 50hp with pipes. Lil porting and some compression and carbs then bam you have 70hp.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i have seen a hybrid it was called the "yamahonda" a warrior frame with a cr650 honda engine in it. that thing was crazy fast it had been bored and stroked with a curtis sparks exhaust. in a drag race it would run with a 690 raptor.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Should annhilate one.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jakal thanks for your help I might have to look into them and cash, wow that thing sounds crazy yea I was thinking of a big thumper dirtbike motor like a honda 650 or ktm500 but 60 horses with the rd motor is pretty sweet. Since they are dirtbike engines couldnt I make my quad street legal in pa then, since dirtbikes can be driven on the road and since it would be a dirtbike motor couldnt it be made street legal with turn signals and mirrors and a horn and be considered a 4 wheeled dirtbike?

Old 11-20-2002, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

actually you can make your stock warrior street legal as long as you follow you local laws (turn signals, bright & dim lights, etc.) i wouldnt understand why it wouldnt be ok. might get stopped by the cops for a little while cause it will be something different. if you decide on switching out your motor send me some pics.

Old 11-20-2002, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Its the number of wheels they count. Three wheelers and dirt bikes can be made street legal though.
As for the RD350 engine, its really an air cooled banshee engine, but with bigger carbs and a bit more power. Get some massive power youll probably slap on a oil cooler. RD400 is a slightly bigger air cooled banshee engine. Both make a bit more power than a banshee motor before you start playing with them. I bought an RD350 for the purpose of putting the engine in mine but the street bike was just to pretty so I kept it. RZ350 (evolution of the RD engine) engine has the capacity to be extremely wicked with just some porting and bigger carbs. Its a pretty much a tuned banshee engine with a powervalve. They also made an RZ500 but I doubt youll find one. They had 90hp stock but very few were made and not in america. I say find an RD350 engine (cheaper than RD400 which is same but stroked). And then you get it ported/piped, up the compression and put on some big ol carbs. That should be good for atleast 70 depending on who does the porting, then you can hang with most of the banshees except the massively modified ones. Get the RZ engine and hop it up and nothing short of a stroker banshee will touch you, and probably most of them wont even.

Quads cannot be street legal in all but three states, most European countries allow them to be though, solid rear axle would get you into trouble anyways.

Old 11-20-2002, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jakal do you have a website or any photos of a rd350 or rz350 motor themselves in a quad frame or bike frame?

Old 11-20-2002, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Try this, tell me if it dosent work Pics and stuff

Old 11-20-2002, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

nah the link didnt work

Quick Reply: Wanna do an engine swap...what would be a good motor to use?