Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Any Cincinnati Area Banshee Or Raptor Riders Want to Try Out Glamis?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Cincinnati Area Banshee Or Raptor Riders Want to Try Out Glamis?

A friend of mine and I are planning a trip from Cincinnati Ohio to Glamis California for late March of Next year.

Here's the deal, we'll pick a week in late march or early april of 03 to go.

My friend doug will leave with my truck and trailer, and all the quads, 3 or 4 days before our trip starts. We will pack everything we need in the trailer prior to doug leaving.

The rest of us will fly out and meet Doug In Phoenix Arizona. (Unless you have EXTRA time and don't mind driving 50 hours each way) From PHX airport to Glamis is about a 4 hour Drive. We will be taking NO luggage on the plane. No reason, everything will already be in the trailer. Travel lite, get out of the airport fast.

I am planning on flying from Indy to Phx, it's a $170 ticket ROUND trip, including fees. We will leave Indy saturday Morning at around 10am, get to PHX at 11am, 4 hour drive to Glamis, on the sand dunes by 3pm Saturday afternoon (Cali Time).

We will stay a week, the following Saturday we'll get up and head back to PHX where doug will drop us off for a flight home.

Doug is retired, so he doesn't mind driving, what we need are a couple more people to help with gas money, and someone that wants to have a good time. We've already decided not to go unless we can get a 3rd or more people to go. Our buddy that went last year can't make it.

We each have a Raptor, and we've been to Glamis before, it's a killer time. Anyone from the Ohio, Kentucky or Indiana Area... this is a great chance to go out west and ride the BIG dunes cheap. You can also ride a whole week of Cali sand, without spending 50 hours in a truck driving out, and 50 hours getting back.

My Trailer will hold up to 5 quads, my truck can haul one more in the bed. So we have 4 open spots. Gas will run between $800 and $1000 round trip for my truck/trailer. With 5 people that's only $200 each max.

Glamis cost $10 per TRUCK load of quads for the entire week. We will be rough camping, IE bring a tent! We'll stop off at a local grocery store on the way in for food, I have a small fridge in the trailer, so we can stock 2 or 3 days food before running back to town (20 miles)

Couple considerations:

You'll need a powerful quad: My pipped and jetted raptor could BARELY climb the biggest hills.. BARELY! Banshees/400Exs/Raptors/Z400s welcome. Warriors or anything less you just won't have fun (we tried it last year and it was a BAD BAD IDEA)

Sand tires are nice, but not needed.

Total Cost will be around $400 for your plane ticket and truck gas money, PLUS your food and quad gas for the week, which I'm hoping to spend less than $100 for food and quad gas money. Food will be towards the cheap side as we'll grocery store what we need. I also have a microwave in the trailer (with generator) to heat things up.

Total time needed will be 1 week (from a saturday morning to the next saturday night)

Doug and I ride a lot, so more experience riders would be nice (but new comers would be welcome)

Your quad would need to be to the cincy area the weekend before the actually trip. We need to load up the trailer, and get ready to roll.

Your quad would be home the following weekend after we get back, you'd need to pick it up from us. (unless you happened to live on the way to glamis, then we consider pick up and drop off)

My trailer is an 8x20 Enclosed w/ a generator, small work shop, fridge, microwave, etc, and I have an 2002 F350 Crew cab, so your stuff will make it there and get back!

Want more info, email me.. brad@nky.net or post in this thread and I'll get back to you.

Thanks...
Brad

PS.. I posted this on another forum.. and someone wanted to know our ages.. Dougs a young 50, I'm 31... all age groups welcome as long as you like to ride and are old enough to drink beer

Old 11-25-2002, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

RaptorBrad2,

This sounds like a great trip. I live in San Diego, 142mi from my door to Glamis. I'm kinda interested in joining you, provided I'm not on business travel that week. I only travel 4 or 5 weeks/yr, so it should be no problem. I'm 42yrs young, too young to drink.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Have you considered flying into San Diego? Lindbergh Field is a big airport, about 2-1/2hrs from Glamis as opposed to 4hrs from Phx. I don't know if it's cheaper to fly into Phx or SD, but it might be an option. Perhaps it might be cheaper/better to catch the last flight out Fri. nite after work and I could pick you up at the airport, swing by my house (just off Hwy 8 on the way to Glamis), hook up the trailer and we're off to the dunes. We could be there late Fri nite and start riding first thing Sat AM.

I've got a brand new Crewcab that'll hold 4-5 adults and 1-2 kids, if ya don't mind being seen in a Chevy. I've also got a 25' toybox that'll sleep 6-8 very comfortably, with kitchen, bath, awning, 5KW gen., 3 refrigerators, 100gal water/50gal gray/50gal black tanks and all of the amenities. If you're interested, check into the price of a ticket to/from SD. I can't promise from this far in advance that I can do it, but I'm 95% sure. Another consideration is the temps in the desert start to climb that late in the season. Late Feb./ early March might be a bit more comfortable, but if it's a work scheduling issue, I understand.

I imagine we might have to go into town mid-week to dump/refill water, but we'll need more beer, fuel and parts by then anyways... PM me and we can hash out more details.

Old 11-25-2002, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont mind a DS in the stable, I might be interested. There are a few guys from Indy that are planning some big dune trip next year also. Eraptoid can fill you in on the details.

Old 11-25-2002, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Four Stroke Wars....Jan 19, 2003....Glamis, CA......be there!!!

Old 11-25-2002, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer

I dunno,

didn't he say "no slowpokes??" J/K![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Sounds great, I'm flexible. I would like to add that if anyone wants to get the most out of the dunes, Sand Skate IIs or similar are highly recommended. They're avail. here in San Diego on Douglas or ITP rims for as low as $250-260/set.

Old 11-25-2002, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: 2badraps
RaptorBrad2,

Have you considered flying into San Diego? Lindbergh Field is a big airport, about 2-1/2hrs from Glamis as opposed to 4hrs from Phx.

Perhaps it might be cheaper/better to catch the last flight out Fri. nite after work and I could pick you up at the airport, swing by my house (just off Hwy 8 on the way to Glamis), hook up the trailer and we're off to the dunes. We could be there late Fri nite and start riding first thing Sat AM
Phx is 4 hours, SD is 2.5, ya we checked on this... Phx is $50 to 70 cheaper, we can get a direct flight, and it's on the way for the truck. This way doug doesn't have to drive 2.5 hours past glamis and back. Now if we had a ride from SD it might work out, but doug has to go through PHX anyway, so that was just our original plan, still $50 to $70 cheaper, for an extra 1.5 hours each way it's not a huge hassle.

RaptorBrad2,

I've got a brand new Crewcab that'll hold 4-5 adults and 1-2 kids, if ya don't mind being seen in a Chevy. I've also got a 25' toybox that'll sleep 6-8 very comfortably, with kitchen, bath, awning, 5KW gen., 3 refrigerators, 100gal water/50gal gray/50gal black tanks and all of the amenities. If you're interested, check into the price of a ticket to/from SD. I can't promise from this far in advance that I can do it, but I'm 95% sure. Another consideration is the temps in the desert start to climb that late in the season. Late Feb./ early March might be a bit more comfortable, but if it's a work scheduling issue, I understand.

I imagine we might have to go into town mid-week to dump/refill water, but we'll need more beer, fuel and parts by then anyways... PM me and we can hash out more details.
I have the crew cab, my trailer is just an enclosed, but it does have a 5kwatt generator, 13000 BTU Ac and heater in it, along with a fridge and microwave... we just throw out an airmatress and sleep on the floor, at least the first 4 of us can. Tents are only needed if we get up to 6 people.. if you're not doing any thing this week come on down and ride with us.. I'll PM you later with details

Originally posted by: Rockey
If you dont mind a DS in the stable, I might be interested. There are a few guys from Indy that are planning some big dune trip next year also. Eraptoid can fill you in on the details.
DS in the stable would be all good.. just looking for people that want to ride Glamis... Think about it some and tell me if you're really interested... if so we can talk sometime and maybe work out some of the details...

As far as temp goes, March is listed as average high of 79, low of 53. April is 86 and 59.. sounds like perfect riding temps to me.

Old 11-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

RaptorBrad2,

Sounds like you've got the airfare and ride situation all worked out. It was just a friendly offer, in case it was cheaper. I can just meet you at Glamis and we'll have more trailer amenities. If we get more people, then we'll have pelnty of everything for everybody.

I agree, those temps sound great for riding. I was just thinking in terms of the later in the season, the higher the chances of an unusual warm spell coming thru. We've had some wacky weather lately, unusually mild summer, yet it's still in the upper 90's at my house right now.

This is sounding better and better! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2002, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

RaptorBrad2,

Sounds like you've got the airfare and ride situation all worked out. It was just a friendly offer, in case it was cheaper. I can just meet you at Glamis and we'll have more trailer amenities. If we get more people, then we'll have pelnty of everything for everybody.

I agree, those temps sound great for riding. I was just thinking in terms of the later in the season, the higher the chances of an unusual warm spell coming thru. We've had some wacky weather lately, unusually mild summer, yet it's still in the upper 90's at my house right now.

This is sounding better and better! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Sounds like a plan if I can get at least 1 one more rider to go.. we need to split the gas in the truck at least 3 ways to make it work for us.. would really like to get 4 people from the area to go, no reason to haul that trailer all the way across the states without at least filling it up..

We were lucky last year, we went at the end of april beginning of may, and it was unseasonable cool.. nice 85 in the day, and 60 at night.. We did 2 weeks last year, a week @ glamis then a week at Moab Utah... So it was nice and cool in utah when we got there... I'm knocking on wood right now so it's not 105 when we get there in march [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]