Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ultramatic vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2000, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I PURCHASED A NEW KODIAC ULTRAMATIC THREE WEEKS AGO IT HAS 240 KM ON IT.IT HAS ALOT OF VIBRATION COMING FROM THE ENGINE.YOU CAN FEEL IT THROUGH THE HANDLE BARS AND ESPECIALLY THROUGH THE FLOOR BOARDS.THE DEALER SAYS IT MAY BE THE BELT.BUT THE VIBRATION IS AS BAD AS THE DAY I BOUGHT IT.NO BELT SHOULD TAKE THIS LONG TO BREAK IN.WONDERING IF THE MOTOR IS OUT OF BALANCE.ANY ONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM. THE BIKE WAS BUILT 9 MONTH OF 99.

Old 04-04-2000, 11:11 AM
Range Rover

It's a Grizzly, get used to it! All that power comes with a price......VIBRATION!!

Old 04-04-2000, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Grizzly and it uses almost the same ultramatic as the kodiak if not the same. I do hear alot of engine noise however I don't think it is what you are talking about. I would take it in and let the dealer ride it and listen to it. At least before your warrenty runs out.

Mine chatters alot. I still think its my valves needing there first adjustment. I'm going to have the dealer go through it very good when I take it in for its first service. I just rolled over 200miles on mine.

Old 04-04-2000, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have noticed that vibration while trying a Kodiak 00 at the local dealer. The vibration was so bad that I did not want to buy a Kodiak anymore until my brother in law tried another one at another local dealer. He told me that the Kodiak he tried had no vibration at all. The dealer told him that the bike should not vibrate.

I finally took a chance and bought a Kodiak 01 Special edition. It was vibrating a lot during the first 30 miles but after that, the vibration just kept reducing until it is just a very small vibration during rapid acceleration.

I have found that automatic VTT are not as smooth as manual VTT because the engire is reeving higher at same speed then a manual one. I suspect that this could be corrected by replacing the springs in the clutch unit but you would loose torque by doing that. This is a trade off.

My point is that some Yamaha automatics are vibrating badly while others are fine. I do not know if Yamaha solved the problem recently or it is caused by poor assembly but if I were you, I would ask the dealer to fix it. Vibrations are very annoying and may lead to expensive repairs in the future.

Old 04-04-2000, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I purchased my 00 Kodiak about two months ago and have no vibration that is out of the ordinary. I have read of some other reports on this post of vibration on 00 Kodiaks. You better take her in. Maybe the clutches are not aligned properly? Or possibly out of balance from the factory?

Old 04-05-2000, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

I had a vibration when I first got it. I get it every now and then if it is real cold until the belt limbers up, or if it has set a while.

Your problem sounds different, you better take it in!

Old 04-05-2000, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer

FYI, I read an old post about this. What one dealer said was when new these machines sit crated for months at a time & not started. They develop flat spots or stretch areas on the belt, Of coarse this is going to cause some driveline vibration. This particular dealer said that normal driving would cure this as the belt began to wear in. I have no idea if this is true as it didn't happen to me. However it sounds possible.

Good luck